HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM

KLR is on a distinguished road
Question $1000 or less what would you buy?

what speakers would you buy? these would be placed behind a 7 chan. amp. I listened to a Bose system "best buy" sub was disappointing. for reasons unknown the Klipsch Quintet 11 with KSW12 sub wouldn't turn on. With no opportunity to listen firsthand to the many different speakers on the market I am asking for non-biased opinions. I followed the Bose threads which took me to Klipsch threads which brought me here. Is this where I stop looking or do I look farther? Whatever speakers I buy I must be satisfied with because I won't be upgrading again for another 15yrs. Looking to spend $600 to $1000. I have no speakers at this time.

Last edited by KLR : April 20th, 2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM

95 Silver TA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR
what speakers would you buy? these would be placed behind a 7 chan. amp. I listened to a Bose system "best buy" sub was disappointing. for reasons unknown the Klipsch Quintet 11 with KSW12 sub wouldn't turn on. With no opportunity to listen firsthand to the many different speakers on the market I am asking for non-biased opinions. I followed the Bose threads which took me to Klipsch threads which brought me here. Is this where I stop looking or do I look farther? Whatever speakers I buy I must be satisfied with because I won't be upgrading again for another 15yrs. Looking to spend $600 to $1000. I have no speakers at this time.

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

I have never heard the VT-12 system but I have only read good/great things about it (nothing ever negative and its very afforable)...I have only read good/great things about the VTF3-MK2 sub and even though it was a risk to buy something without hearing it, I can honestly say it's my favorite item in my HT and some other items in my HT do cost more than my sub

All I can say is that you can NOT go wrong with HSU.

Thx,
Claude
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:47 AM

JonnyOzero3 is on a distinguished road
We might need a little more info. I see your budget is a max of $1000 - is that for a 5.1 system, or 7.1? How big is your room? What amp will you be running the speakers with? How important are size and looks in your decision?

Also - make sure to check out local hi-fi audio shops and listen to their entry level stuff. Paradigm, PSB, and B&W are a few that come to mind. It's just good to go listen and see what you like.
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM

KLR is on a distinguished road
size and looks isn't important to me. the amp is 7.1 surround all 7 channels rated 100 watts each. room is 12ftx16ftx10ft high approx.
Old April 21st, 2006, 1:39 PM

LaserMark4 is on a distinguished road
I'd start with a 5.1 and blow the whole wad (or as much as you can) on the base speaker package. You can always pick up the rears at a later point, but 5.1 will do all you need initially.

Like HSU, I'd definitely look into online speaker companies for product quality/price point before "Best Buys".... and definitely not Bose. Axiom or Aperion (both Internet direct) have great book shelf lines that you could probably stay within your budget. Used on Audiogon is also a great value if you are willing to shop with some patience and thoroughly check them out.

Buy quality and a little at a time is always a good approach.
PJ: Sony G70 CRT; Screen: 106" Da-Lite High Power
Sub: HSU VTF-3/MKII
Old April 21st, 2006, 6:32 PM

Backlash is on a distinguished road
I'd buy the Ascend 7.1 set
(Which were too high to appear in the HT .mov)
Old April 21st, 2006, 7:22 PM

jasonboulder is on a distinguished road
I just completed my new HT with Phase Tech speakers, and couldn't be happier.

http://www.phasetech.com

I bought 7 in wall CI-20VII speakers for $175 apiece, or just slightly more than $1000 (ok, it was 1200).

Not sure if they would have what you are looking for, but they make quality speakers at reasonable prices, mostly because they cater to custom installers, and don't advertise. But they sell to anyone. Top notch.

Last edited by jasonboulder : April 21st, 2006 at 7:25 PM. Reason: my math sucks
Old April 21st, 2006, 7:39 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
I take it you have a 7.1 receiver and not a seperate "amp". With your room size the Ventriloquest system would do a wonderful job for you. You could throw in a VTF 3 and still be under 1K. With this combo I beleive you would be pleasently suprised at the quailty of sound you get for the money.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 3:05 PM

LaserMark4 is on a distinguished road
Last suggestion-- Your center speaker is VERY crucial to good HT experience.....especially being able to hear the dialog and conversation. Usually most suites of speakers offer a standard and upgrade center models. You'll never be disappointed going with the upgrade.

"The sweetness of low price is long forgotten after the bitterness of of poor quality sets in."

Mark S.
PJ: Sony G70 CRT; Screen: 106" Da-Lite High Power
Sub: HSU VTF-3/MKII
Old April 22nd, 2006, 4:28 PM

adriankelly is on a distinguished road
I was in the same boat as you were about 1 year ago . I combed the forums for about 8 months , read the magazines , looked on c-net.com, consumer reports, e-opinions.com , every imaginable source I could find . The outcome was I went with VT-12 VTF2mk2 combo , and yes it was somewhat of a gamble , I have never bought electronics online before , Im more of a hands on type buyer. With the 30 day money back guarantee in the back of my mind I took the plunge ,and I couldn't be more happy. For the price it has to be the best bang for your buck. After I setup the system ,calibrated and tweeked everything I went to my local shops and tested what they have to offer . I found that it would almost cost 2x the ammount of what I paid to match the sound quality , and there are some systems that are way more than that and they dont even come close . Overall the product , customer service , and warranty have met and exceeded all of my expectations . Truly satisfied customer here and I do recommend the HSU product to all of my family and friends . And good luck I know how frustrating these decisions can be...
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:27 PM

SteveB is on a distinguished road
I didn't see the post above mine until after submitting mine. Funny some of the same terms were used. Guess it must be true but of course everything on the internet is true usn't it?

I started off using my Klipsch stereo speakers for the fronts, then added a pair of Bose to the rear. Couldn't get a balance I liked so I bought a set of Polk Audio surround speakers with a center channel. Sounded better than the original set up but was 'flat' to my ears. Like you, I shopped all around and read everything I could find. I went to several stores to hear everything I could that was in my budget. The thing that scared me the most was knowing that the acoustics in my living room would not be anywhere near what I was hearing in the store.
I can across one of the 'best of' lists on some web site and that's where I found out about Hsu. Everything I read about Hsu was positive so I decided to try them especially since there was a money back if not happy promise.
I got a set of VT-12s and the STF-1 subwoofer. It happened that my new reciever arrived shortly after I had finished hooking up the speakers to my old Pioneer receiver so I was able to listen to the speakers with the old and new receivers. Even before hooking up to the new receiver I knew I had made the right decision in going with Hsu. I got a HK AVR435 and all the speakers for under $1200.
The short of all this.... unless you want to spend extra money I don't think you can get a better bang for the buck than Hsu.
Old April 25th, 2006, 2:55 AM

adriankelly is on a distinguished road
Lets get some of the pro guys to help you with you'r quandry??? Lets hear what you guys might have to say????