HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 26th, 2006, 5:42 PM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
VTF-3 MK2 with turbo pics

Sorry it's taken me so long, I've been real busy. I'll have to put these in two post since the max allowed is 10 pics per post.

Enjoy
Legairre
Attached Images

Last edited by lradden : April 26th, 2006 at 5:53 PM.
Old April 26th, 2006, 5:45 PM

Michael Bain is on a distinguished road
Menacing, man! I actually like it!

Now the question is, how does it sound in comparison to the port plug?
Old April 26th, 2006, 5:50 PM
Ask for a demo

Here's the rest
Attached Images

Old April 26th, 2006, 6:10 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
I think it looks good, what about the most important part. the sound.
Old April 26th, 2006, 6:57 PM

jmprader is on a distinguished road
Looks much better than I expected it would with the slight overhang. My other half says nothing about our turbos since the room lighting doesn't make them look obtrusive.

...trying hard to be a subwar pacifist
Old April 26th, 2006, 7:08 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
how did you get it? Are they available to us now?

HOW DOES IT SOUND???
Old April 26th, 2006, 8:00 PM

Backlash is on a distinguished road
Maybe he bought it from Yoda...
(Which were too high to appear in the HT .mov)
Old April 26th, 2006, 8:04 PM
Ask for a demo

Guys I picked up the turbo off eBay for under $200 so rest assured I wasn't the guy who paid "Yoda" the $300 he wanted for his ebay turbo. Turns out I've never seen the person I bought the turbo off on any forums, but his eBay ID is "fcastillas". He was a really great guy and kept his word in regards to the turbo. Which reminds me I need to go and leave positive feedback for him.

The turbo came as promised, new in the factory sealed box and I anxiously opened the box like a kid on Christmas knowing I had absolutely no time to play with it. Instead I just tried hooking it up. As I set it up I was suprised that the 4" tubes didn't fit inside the 3.5" flares.

I pm-ed Peter and expalined that I had bought the turbo off eBay and I was not the original owner. Peter was so surprised that the turbo wouldn't fit the MK2 ports, that he offered to reimburse me the entire cost of the turbo . Peter did this knowing that I bought the turbo off eBay and Hsu had no obligation to me since I wasn't really a "Hsu" customer this time around. I told Peter that I appreciated his offer, but it's my problem not his since I bought outside Hsu (Peter, once again thanks for the offer that was really classy), now that's customer service. Peter recommened that I contact Dr. Hsu and the Dr. got back to me within an hour with a reply. We had a couple of emails back and forth and I thought there's no way this thing will work.

Dr. Hsu explained to me that on the VTF-3 MK2 the turbo's 4" rubber seals will rest on the outside of the 3.5" flares not inside like the HO. I thought there's no way it have an air tight seal due to the sub vibrating and if the turbo box moves even a little the seal would be broken. He explained that while the box is sitting on top of the mat(that ships with the turbo) the box will not move at all. All I had to do was place the 4" tube's rubber seals up around the 3.5" flares and pull the turbo's box forward a little and that would provide the seal. Well I hate being wrong, but once again the Dr. is correct. Due to the weight of the box (it's pretty light for it's size) and the mat being rubber(I think it carpet mat) the box doesn't move at all and the seal is perfect. I really think this is even better than having the tubes inside the flares, because this way the air flows freely without anything in the way of the airflow.

So anyone who wants a turbo for a MK2 rest assured the HO turbo is a perfect fit for the MK2

Thank you Peter and Dr. Hsu I really owe you guys.

Last edited by lradden : April 27th, 2006 at 4:43 PM.
Old April 26th, 2006, 8:06 PM
Ask for a demo

I haven't had very much time to play around with the turbo since our little one is sick, but I did spend about two hours last night. I obviously didn't play it a real lot and my wife did come down once and ask me to turn it down. Funny how the volume eases up as our ears adjust to the SPL.

I checked my calibration with AVIA and my sub was set to 86dB while my other speakers were set at 85dB. The ratshck meter is off so a flat sub calibration would have been around 83dB. I knew I was running 3dB hot because I miss the second VTF-3 and the extra 3dB gave me back some of the 5dB increase I was use to having with dual VTF-3 MK2 subs located in opposite front corners(each calibrated to 83dB).

The first thing I did was try a scene from Chronicles of Riddick. There's one scene in particular that with dual MK2 subs(calibrated each to 83dB) I could really get a nice punch and the whole room would shudder and the subs didn't make a wimper (actually there's lots of scenes like this in Riddick). With a single MK2 it just hasn't been the same and I couldn't run the volume as high as I could with the two. It's been a catch 22 with one MK2, because if I run 3dB hot I can't play the scene as loud and if I run flat(83dB calibrated) I don't get the punch I was use to. The extra 5dB off headroom the dual subs provded not only allowed me to calibrate flat AND play louder, but the two subs hit harder too.

I tried this scene last night with the single MK2 (no turbo) calibrated flat and then with the turbo also calibrated flat. I started to crank the MV and tried the same scene several times. The turbo allowed me to play the same scene 4dB louder than the non turbo MK2http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...es/biggrin.gif. I tried this over and over and I found the point at which the MK2 would cry uncle and then back off 1dB. Then I tried the same scene with the turbo attached and the MK2 didn't cy uncle untill I went 5dB higher, so I backed off 1dB. The turbo played 4dB higher before distress. This is really great because my duals in opposite front corners gave the 5dB increase over a single so I was almost right back where dual MK2's had me before. Not only did the turbo give a 4dB increase the wave of bass is smoother. It's hard to explain it's almost like the wave doesn't bounce around the room as much, but you do get a more tactile feeling. Kind of reminds me of the way the dual MK2's were, the turbo allows me to play louder so MK2 hits harder, but things don't rattle as much either. The only way I can describe it is "smooth" and that's kind of how the duals felt the two subs just felt smoother than the one.

I didn't get to play any more movies last night, but I did play some concert DVDs. I player Meatloaf and Whitesnake with and with out the turbo and the kickdrums were just smoother with the turbo. The Mk2 isn't boomy, but the turbo made the sub blend better or should I say call less attention to itself. With the single MK2 I can "feel"(60Hz crossover) not hear where the bass is coming from on concert DVDs and with dual MK2's it was like the bass was a wall coming at you. With the turbo I can feel the bass but you don't feel like looking to the left like I did with the single MK2.

I've also been listening to hear if I notice any lose of mid bass with the turbo, but that seems to be the same no change better or worse. While some people will do charts and graphs on the turbo( I don't have that gear) so I can only go by the seat of the pants and my ears. When the charts and graphs come out and show the specs the charts may show different, but what counts is what I hear and feel and I definately hear and feel a difference on the MK2 with and without the turbo and the differences have been positive. Also as far as SPL goes the ratshack meter shows I can run 4dB higher with the turbo.

So far I don't see any reason to run the MK2 without the turbo. I'll play some more tommow night. I'd like to try it with WOTW and some CDs just sittng back with my eyes closed with no visual distraction like the concert DVDs have.

Legairre

Last edited by lradden : April 26th, 2006 at 8:25 PM.
Old April 26th, 2006, 8:32 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmprader
Looks much better than I expected it would with the slight overhang. My other half says nothing about our turbos since the room lighting doesn't make them look obtrusive.

I know what you mean. With the sub in the corner you can't even see the overhang. My lighting around the screen is very low so we don't wash out the picture. Hides the sub too.

Hey is there any kind of award for most pics in a thread? I might win this one
Attached Images

Old April 27th, 2006, 9:05 AM

Eddie Horton is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the pics, Legairre. Now the million dollar question. When can I have one? Oh, Peter?
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Michael Bain is on a distinguished road
A 4db increase from turbo is pretty awesome, very impressive.
Old April 27th, 2006, 2:48 PM

95 Silver TA is on a distinguished road
Great write up and Awesome pics too!!
Old April 27th, 2006, 7:26 PM

jasonboulder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmprader
I agree. Mine will be hidden behind a screen anyway, so as long as the turbo works with it. A 4db increase would be outstanding. Might have to go with the MK2. I can afford to hold out a little bit longer. When someone in the 06x queue gets a sub, I want to know about it!
Old April 27th, 2006, 9:19 PM
Ask for a demo

Tried WOTW tonight. I played the scene where the tripod comes out of the ground and once again I tried the 3-MK2 without the turbo and then with the turbo. With the turbo I was able to run the sub 4dB higher than without. If you put your hand in front of the turbo's ports you can really feel some serious air rushing out. So far the turbo is holding onto the 4 dB increase. I have no way of measuring distortion so I'm going by ear and listening for when the sub sounds distorted. 4dB seems to be the breaking point, if I go to 5 then the sub is in distress back off 1dB and she's happy again.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 7:06 AM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
Nice review. Great to see that everything works well with the MKII.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 5:35 PM
Ask for a demo

Thanks Dudley the turbo is pretty nice and I'm very happy with it. I've done a good bit of testing(all by ear, seat of the pants, and radio shack SPL meter) and don't see any reason to use the 3MK2 without the turbo, so I just leave it on all the time.

Old May 5th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lradden
don't see any reason to use the 3MK2 without the turbo, so I just leave it on all the time.
That is the best way to do it. Looks like you have a real nice place for them in the corners and kind of in the shadows. Nobody will ever notice the overhang.
Old May 6th, 2006, 7:00 PM
Ask for a demo

Yeah it looks great in the corner. Now if I could just find another HO owner who doesn't want his turbo then I'd buy another VTF3- MK2 and have dual 3MK2 + turbos.