HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 13th, 2007, 8:52 PM

thompson12 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thompson12
HSU VTF-2 MK 3?

Hi all

I'm hoping to get some input, help and opinions on picking a new sub

I'm doing a HT setup and I'm lost on the sub I need something with a good punch

I have all athena speakers for the HT setup 70% movies 30% music I like tight hard hitting clean base not boomy and Im looking for a sub that sounds great for both music and movies

I am using the M225 sub that came with the Athena micra6 speaker set

The room is 11' x 18' with three 36" openings to other rooms and the stairs to the 2nd floor

My System

AS-B2 front
AS-C1 Center
WS-100 rear
m225 sub
Pioneer VSX-816 100w ch.
OPPO OPDV971H DVD

Im looking at the HSU-VTF-2 MK 3, the Velodyne DLS-3750R and the Sunfire Carver Dominator D-8

How would you guys rank/compare these subs or recommend something that would do better in the same price range

Thanks for any input
Old January 13th, 2007, 9:25 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Thompson, how high are the cielings in your room, and how tight is your budget for the subwoofer? The VTF-2 Mk3 would definitely be a great choice for $400-500 budget, for rooms up to around 4500 ft^3.

Sincerely,
Old January 13th, 2007, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks View Post
Thompson, how high are the cielings in your room, and how tight is your budget for the subwoofer? The VTF-2 Mk3 would definitely be a great choice for $400-500 budget, for rooms up to around 4500 ft^3.

Sincerely,
cielings are 8' $400-$500 is my budget with shiping included
Old January 13th, 2007, 9:53 PM
Hsu Research

A VTF-2 Mk3 would work very well in that room. Even a VTF-1 would work very well!
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
A VTF-2 Mk3 would work very well in that room. Even a VTF-1 would work very well!
Is there a big sound difference between the VTF-2 MK3 and VTF-1 it's probably worth the $90.00 more?
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Hsu Research

They both have excellent sound quality and output. The VTF-2 Mk3 has more output and more extension though. If you are not so concerned with sub-20Hz extension, then VTF-1 would be perfect!
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
They both have excellent sound quality and output. The VTF-2 Mk3 has more output and more extension though. If you are not so concerned with sub-20Hz extension, then VTF-1 would be perfect!
I'm not sure if I'm concerned with sub 20Hz or not I'm new to subs I got my first one a two about mounths ago I don't know how much sound or impact I would be missing out on. I Know my Athena M225 is not cutting it I need more then that

I always had full range speakers with 12" and 15" woofers and never needed a sub
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Do you think either of these subs would be a huge improvement in sound and performance over the Athena M225 sub
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:26 PM

SeattleDucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson12 View Post
Do you think either of these subs would be a huge improvement in sound and performance over the Athena M225 sub
Oh man, I guarantee it! I have (now sitting unused in the garage) the next model up from your sub, the Athena AS-P300, and it cannot even come close to competing with the HSU subs - nowhere near the deep bass output, dynamic range, low distortion, and overall musicality.

I would suggest spending the few extra dollars and getting the amazing VTF-2.3 which is a stunning value at the new price of $469 - this is essentially the same sub (VTF-3.2 but with just a bit less amp power) that has been wowing high-end professional audiophile reviewers for years and recently was selling for $699! You will never regret this purchase.
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleDucks View Post
Oh man, I guarantee it! I have (now sitting unused in the garage) the next model up from your sub, the Athena AS-P300, and it cannot even come close to competing with the HSU subs - nowhere near the deep bass output, dynamic range, low distortion, and overall musicality.

I would suggest spending the few extra dollars and getting the amazing VTF-2.3 which is a stunning value at the new price of $469 - this is essentially the same sub (VTF-3.2 but with just a bit less amp power) that has been wowing high-end professional audiophile reviewers for years and recently was selling for $699! You will never regret this purchase.
how is the VTF-2.3 compared to the Velodyne DLS-3750R and the Sunfire Carver Dominator D-8?
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
how is the VTF-2.3 compared to the Velodyne DLS-3750R and the Sunfire Carver Dominator D-8?
Someone else will have to comment on those two subs, I have not heard them.

But keep in mind you are getting FAR more for your dollar with an internet-direct company like HSU because you aren't paying the substantial markup that comes with distribution and retail middlemen.
Old January 14th, 2007, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleDucks View Post
Someone else will have to comment on those two subs, I have not heard them.

But keep in mind you are getting FAR more for your dollar with an internet-direct company like HSU because you aren't paying the substantial markup that comes with distribution and retail middlemen.
Ya I'm kinda set on the VTF2.3 after reading all the good post on it but i just wanted some more input on the other subs before I buy.

A few days ago I was looking to only spend around $275.00-$350.00 I found the Velodyne DLS-3750R and the Carver D-8 in that price range. but I fig if this VTF2.3 is gona give me a lot more bang for the buck! then put up the buck and get it not that I settle for less and keep kicking myslef in the but knowing that I spent around $350.00 for a good sub when I could have spent $470.00 for awsome sub.

I went to curcuit city 3 times to listen to the velodyne each time I waited over an hour for someone to come to the sound room to asist me. I tried turning it on myself but it's run through a computer now and I couldn't fig it out. They are way under staffed so no luck never herd them 3 times I left bitchin and no one seemed to care. That place is like useless anymore I spent a lot of money at that place over the years but ok their
Old January 14th, 2007, 8:14 AM

daman4799 is on a distinguished road
To my ears the HSU is a awsome sub. I own a VTF3 MKII. I use to own a Klipsh KSW-12. There is no way to compare the two. Granted the HSU does cost more. The current VTF2-MKIII is almost identical to the original VTF3. This sub was selling for $899. IMHO you would be more than happy with the VTF2-MKIII. Good luck with your decision.

Later, Daman
Old January 14th, 2007, 8:25 AM

mystro is on a distinguished road
thompson12, I never kinda believe in demostration/sound room. It is usually very nice and beautiful, often you wouldn't really know what other speakers or amp are also playing in the background. Then when you bring it home, it sound totally different. Also, stores will generally want you to buy those amp and speakers where they'll get the most commissions and they'll definitely make those product standout and others look not so good.
Old January 14th, 2007, 4:26 PM

I see the bass goes down below 20Hv on the the VTF-2.3 how is the bass above 25 Hz where most movie LFE occurs, and how is the midbass 25-80 Hz?

I'm reading these things on other post and I thought they were good things to know thanks
Old January 15th, 2007, 6:11 PM

Quote:
I see the bass goes down below 20Hv on the the VTF-2.3 how is the bass above 25 Hz where most movie LFE occurs, and how is the midbass 25-80 Hz?

I'm reading these things on other post and I thought they were good things to know thanks
any coments on this? thanks
Old January 15th, 2007, 7:00 PM
Hsu Research

thompson, the VTF-2 Mk3 is very good in that region too, even stronger there than in the deepest bass.
Old January 15th, 2007, 7:30 PM

Peter how long Does it take to receive one of these when ordered, shipping to pa. probley ordering one on Wednesday
Old January 15th, 2007, 7:46 PM

Playa_bum is on a distinguished road
OK enough reading and researching time to step up. Yes i am a virgin (first ever sub for me) I am ordering the VTF-2 MK3 tomorrow to compliment my system. Eagerly anticipating the arrival of the new member to our home.
Old January 15th, 2007, 9:33 PM

aht3 is on a distinguished road
I'm getting mine tomorrow. The 200w sub in my office is going in the living room as soon as my wife leaves for work. I will starve myself of bass until Fed-ex gets here. Yes, I will be staring at the lonely LFE cable until the new sub-womper gets here. I will post some impressions later in the day or Wednesday
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa_bum View Post
OK enough reading and researching time to step up. Yes i am a virgin (first ever sub for me) I am ordering the VTF-2 MK3 tomorrow to compliment my system. Eagerly anticipating the arrival of the new member to our home.
Congratulations Playa_bum! Most of us get caught up in nearly endless research and forum talk trying to make a decision, and it's a great day when we finally make up our mind and pull the trigger
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aht3 View Post
I'm getting mine tomorrow. The 200w sub in my office is going in the living room as soon as my wife leaves for work. I will starve myself of bass until Fed-ex gets here. Yes, I will be staring at the lonely LFE cable until the new sub-womper gets here. I will post some impressions later in the day or Wednesday
Congrats to you as well aht3! After a few days of starving you will soon go on a Big Bass Binge
Old January 16th, 2007, 5:24 AM

I am so sorry you misunderstood. I am going to be Bass stareved for a few hours!!! Asa a matter of fact, I am going to move that puppy right now!!!!
I am also getting a JBL Lc2 delivered so I am really excited. because I ahve been getting a really clear crisp sound since installing the L820s. This sub (if it does what everyone says) is gonna kick it allup a few notches. I'll keep you posted.
Old January 16th, 2007, 8:04 AM
Hsu Research

thompson, should be no more than a week I think. Thank you very much!
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aht3 View Post
I am so sorry you misunderstood. I am going to be Bass stareved for a few hours!!! Asa a matter of fact, I am going to move that puppy right now!!!!
I am also getting a JBL Lc2 delivered so I am really excited. because I ahve been getting a really clear crisp sound since installing the L820s. This sub (if it does what everyone says) is gonna kick it allup a few notches. I'll keep you posted.
Ah yes, should have written "a few hours of starving." Have fun today!
Old January 16th, 2007, 3:23 PM

I shoulda listened

Got my sub today.

I was told on several occasions to get a smaller sub for my room but did I listen......

Ok...I am listening to the CD Boy am I excited!!!!!

Anyway..I used the auto calibrate from my Pio 84 and it kept saying that the sub was too loud. I had to turn the know down to probabaly 1-2 mm past minimum. This this is a beast. More to come later. I'll send pics when my JBL L880s get here. Ok..movie time.. No one is home. I can''t wait to pop in the opening scene from Superman..

Did I mention I was excited!!
Old January 17th, 2007, 8:31 AM

Repost

DISCLAIMER:
I am a regular Joe that does not have a lot of cash and hoping my wife does not notice this monster in my office under the built in desk. With that being said, I refuse to risk losing a limb by my wife's hand over a piece of junk so I will return a piece of equipment in a fly's heartbeat if I am not satisfied. I think it is cool to get something that does what it says it will do.

I know that you will be happy with you sub. I am not even sure if mine is set up properly. I put it in in Max output since 22Hz should do me fine on average. I ran the auto set up on my receiver, turned it up just a bit. I can only stanbd the volume halfway past the first mark on the dial . LOTS OF BASS!!. The power under control is cool though. Anyway, the best way I can describe this is that it is a bi polar monster. Subtle at times and angry at others. I want to call it a ssub womper but I can't. As articulate as this thing is, I can only call it a bass speaker. I know that is not accurate for some of you tekkies but this sub sounds like a bass version of a smaller speaker. What I mean is that it is just as articulate with its low tones as my JBL LC2 and L820s are with their mids and highs. I am already satisfied so If it it supposed to perform better than what I have it set to, I will amazed all the more. This is a lot of sub for a 1,320^3 room. Glad I did not get a bigger one.

This mutha handles its bizness straight up!!

Thanks for the reccommendation
Old January 17th, 2007, 8:44 AM

aht3, how was max extension mode? was it as good too? do I really need max ext.? I was thinking of STF3. Thanks for the feedback.
Old January 17th, 2007, 9:04 AM

The max ext works fine for me. I was just using the max output for volume and more mid. I believe the 22Hz extension in Max output worked for me better Come to think of it. I will go back to max ext and try it again because on max output, I was only able to turn the volume barely past the first mark. I should be able to crank it a bit and still stay within controlled volume levels. I'll let you know.I posted pics for thompson12 on another thread if you are interested.
Old January 17th, 2007, 2:10 PM

Hello everyone, I did it, I bit the bullet, I pulled the trigger today I ordered the HSU VTF-2.3 can't wait till I get it

I was passing by circuit city again today after I ordered the VTF-2.3 so I stopped in I finally got to listen to there subs, oh my god they sounded bad I don't know how to explain it, it was like just one long low flat tone that carried from one beat to the next I don't know if there was a next it sounded almost like one tone. I think my little Athena M225 blow them away

as far as the bookshelf speakers non of them compared to my Athena B2's not even the bose bookshelf

I think I'll be real happy with the VTF I'll let you's know

I'll be back later to check out them pics thanks
Old January 17th, 2007, 2:22 PM

Another happy purchase from HSU, hooray to thompson12!

Me still undecisive
Old January 17th, 2007, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystro View Post
Another happy purchase from HSU, hooray to thompson12!

Me still undecisive

Well if you don't make up your mind, you spend the rest of your days listening to us talk about our subwompers. Join the party, they'll take it back it your dont like it. That's what Peter said

Well I am glad I'm typing. My 2.3 is crushing my room and it is at about 10% power and this no lie...gott turn it down...wife is home..catch you guys later
Old January 20th, 2007, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone, I did it, I bit the bullet, I pulled the trigger today I ordered the HSU VTF-2.3 can't wait till I get it

I was passing by circuit city again today after I ordered the VTF-2.3 so I stopped in I finally got to listen to there subs, oh my god they sounded bad I don't know how to explain it, it was like just one long low flat tone that carried from one beat to the next I don't know if there was a next it sounded almost like one tone. I think my little Athena M225 blow them away

as far as the bookshelf speakers non of them compared to my Athena B2's not even the bose bookshelf

I think I'll be real happy with the VTF I'll let you's know

I'll be back later to check out them pics thanks
I got me shipping info it should be here no the 25th
Old January 20th, 2007, 8:23 PM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
I'm very eager to hear what you think!

I have a STF-2, and I am very happy....

I have some friends who are looking at subs and I've got half a mind to sell them my STF-2 and pay the difference to step up to VTF-3!

I'm not at all unhappy with the STF-2, but reading these dang Forums gets your blood moving, and you just wonder "if this one's so great, I wonder what the next one up would be like?"

I tell you, these things are addictive! --- ---

I say all this to say, don't risk it, buy a little bigger than you think you need, so you won't be saying "I wonder what that next one up I was thinking of would sound like?"
Old January 20th, 2007, 8:38 PM

new_to_bass, why don't you keep your STF-2 and link them up to have 2 subwoofers on your HT or stereo. This way, you won't be wondering.
Old January 20th, 2007, 8:48 PM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
new_to_bass, why don't you keep your STF-2 and link them up to have 2 subwoofers on your HT or stereo. This way, you won't be wondering.
Well, there are the reasons of finances, and space, and then there's the fact that I do have a wife that I'd like to keep!

I could handle a two or three hundred bucks to step up to a VTF-3, but not $600.00 or so to buy one outright (at least not right now!)

Besides, if I could buy a VTF-3 outright, I'd move the STF-2 to our bedroom to replace the crummy Bose "subwoofer" in there, rather than have two subs in the family room, and a poor excuse for a sub in the bedroom. Gotta spread the fun around, right?
Old January 20th, 2007, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_bass View Post
I'm very eager to hear what you think!

I say all this to say, don't risk it, buy a little bigger than you think you need, so you won't be saying "I wonder what that next one up I was thinking of would sound like?"
that was my thoughts also I ordered the VTF-2.3 good up to 4000 sq feet and my room is only 1584 sq feet I thought better to have to much then not enough
Old January 20th, 2007, 9:43 PM

Just lower the volume of your sub, it will act like the lower range sub. It is more of a worry when you decide to move it to a bigger area which might not have enough power.
Old January 21st, 2007, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Just lower the volume of your sub, it will act like the lower range sub. It is more of a worry when you decide to move it to a bigger area which might not have enough power.
that's another reason I went bigger, if I do ever move it to a bigger room I have a lot sub power to go yet
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:04 AM

Echomalinois is on a distinguished road
Craigsub has been doing some testing of the VTF2-3 and has posted some charts. Go check them out, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=19&pp=30
Old January 22nd, 2007, 9:45 PM

Kingrsl is on a distinguished road
I received my VTF-2 MK3 today. I only had about 30 minutes to play with it as it was getting late but OMG this thing is insane! I upgraded from a Bose system and I never knew what I was missing until tonight! How anyone could use a sub larger than this is beyond me. I placed it nearfield and it shakes the couch....the mirrors on the wall....the fish tank....yet keeps the bass tight and accurate. It's time to do some remodeling before something falls off/over. HSU has a customer for life!
Old January 25th, 2007, 3:45 AM

I received my VTF-2 MK3 yesterday I will not time to hook it up until tonight I'll post my opinions later
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Tackleberry is on a distinguished road
Thompson,
What are you reactions to the sub? Your room sounds is very similar to mine in dimensions and openings. I am curious whether you feel it is plenty of bass.
Old January 29th, 2007, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
Thompson,
What are you reactions to the sub? Your room sounds is very similar to mine in dimensions and openings. I am curious whether you feel it is plenty of bass.
well I didn't have much time to set it up and play with it to find the best settings yet but oh my god!!! I can't turn it up past 1.5-2 on the volume, I did an auto set up on my pioneer VSX-816 and it kept telling me to turn down the sub volume. It does sound really good. it would have no problem shaking the whole house I have plaster walls I'll have to wach I don't crack them lol

Last edited by thompson12 : January 29th, 2007 at 6:16 PM.
Old January 29th, 2007, 7:31 PM

Quote:
well I didn't have much time to set it up and play with it to find the best settings yet but oh my god!!! I can't turn it up past 1.5-2 on the volume, I did an auto set up on my pioneer VSX-816 and it kept telling me to turn down the sub volume. It does sound really good. it would have no problem shaking the whole house I have plaster walls I'll have to wach I don't crack them lol
told you so. I have a pioneer elite 84 140wpc so you cna just imagine. I just sold my 816. That is a great unit.