HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 14th, 2007, 7:14 PM

DJ_Mo is on a distinguished road
Cool Is Ventriloquist and STF-3 right for me ?

My current room dimensions: 10 x 14 x 16 (Height x width x length) ... open room

My current receiver, source: Onkyo SR602, Pioneer DVD player

My current speakers: NHT SuperTwo (front l/r), NHT SuperOne (center), NHT SuperZero (rear l/r) and Adireaudio RAVA subwoofer (12" 250W Sealed)

Usage : 90% HT, 10% Music

I enjoy my current setup and it took a number of years to get it here today. Overall I think my system sounds great and the two things I dislike is the low end is to tight and having a little more BOOOM would be nice. And the system is not as loud as it looks ... with the NHT having super low sensitivity I know I will need a more powerful amp to drive them louder.

Here comes the problem :

My wife dislikes the looks of the "bulky" tower speakers and wants me to switch to satellites (and mount them on the wall). So as I knew HSU made good subs, I came along the Ventriloquist/STF3 combo on the web, the price seems reasonable and the looks have been approved by the wife.

My question is, how will the ventriloquist compare to the NHTs ? Will this be a downgrade or upgrade for me ... in terms of tonality and overall quality of sound for HT ? And how aboubt the STF3 sub compared to the RAVA ? Would y'all suggest keep my current setup ?

Thanks...Mohammed.

PS- The HB-1 Horn speakers is out of the question...wife doesn't approve the looks :-)
Old January 14th, 2007, 8:35 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
If you only have a receiver to drive the NHTs, the VT12 will be an excellent choice. I have the setup you are looking at. An excellent combo. However do get the stf 3 in max extension. You will be blown away.
Old January 17th, 2007, 7:39 AM

AudiblConoiseur is on a distinguished road
Hard to beat

The NHT and the current Classic series is supposedly pretty strong in quality and sound. Someone said the NHT Classic Three's just got a write up in a popular sound magazine as the "best bookshelf speaker in the country" according to this guy. Don't quote me but this is what he said. I am trying to find article now. Either way, they are three way and not two way. Could have meant best three way bookshelf... that is another story!

Anyone able to compare the NHT's to the V12?
Old January 17th, 2007, 8:35 AM

mystro is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm no expert here. But are we comparing apples with apples or oranges with apples? NHT are these Bose like size speakers? Ventriloquist is. How about comparing NHT with Hsu's HB-1 speakers, which I feel is a better comparison.
Old January 17th, 2007, 6:19 PM

no

no apples and oranges here, but the nht's should blow out the V12's. i just wonder what the difference is. the nht's are suppose to be one of the best bookshelf spkrs on the market. anyway, if anyone has heard the nht's, please let us know.
Old January 17th, 2007, 8:17 PM

not if you use a receiver. The nhts need a dedicated amp to sound their best.
With a receiver, you get 60% of their sound. I tell you this from experience.
Old January 18th, 2007, 7:14 AM

please elaborate!

I would love to hear your opinion and testing facts... I strongly considered the NHT Classic Three line. How did you come about this information? I see they are 8ohm load with about 87 sensitivity. What receiver with what Watt/ch are you using?
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM

lemonsp is on a distinguished road
I recently purchased this exact setup. I am not a huge audio expert but do appreciate quality sound with good deep bass. So far I am very happy with this setup. I definitely need to tune it a little better but it does sound good. I bought this system for the same reason you mentioned. The small satellite speaks just blend into the room much better than my old main speakers.

Someone mentioned puting the STF3 in max extension mode. How do you do this?
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:34 AM

mystro is on a distinguished road
lemonsp, I understand you bought the package 3, could you please give some feedback on your STF-3? Also, didn't you paid the extra $50 to customize the mode to max ext.? Do you like max. output mode or max ext. mode?

Thanks, and hope you could give me some idea, cause I'm currently contemplating whether to go for STF-3 or VTF?

Chris
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM

for the stf extension

You wil need to send it back to HSU and they pull it apart, change a few settings and then you have your Max Extension. It is a $60 conversion I think but after shipping, it will be double and more.

I would suggest if you want something different, you find one on line and try to sell yours so you can get newest and deepest.
Old January 19th, 2007, 5:24 PM

My STF 3 is configured as from the factory. It isn't in max extension mode buy max output mode. I didn't pay the extra to have it modified. When I was looking for my speakers I contemplated between the STF3 and the VTF2 MK3. They were only $10 apart at the time. Everyone was suggesting going with the STF 3 so that is the way I went.

So far the sub is great. It has great sound and to be honest plays bass stronger than I or the house can handle. I only have it up just over a quarter of the way. It is by far the best sub I have heard. I can't compare it to the VTF2 MK3 as I haven't heard it and I don't know what I am missing out on with not having max extension. However, I don't have any complaints other than it isn't tuned perfectly with the Ventrilquist speakers. My next purchase will be a meter to get this system fully tuned. I have no doubts it will sound great once I get off my butt and tune it.
Old January 19th, 2007, 8:54 PM

question

lemonsp, could you tell us what speakers closest resemble the V12's in sound and power if there are any? I hear they drop to 80Hz and that is pretty incredible for a speaker that small. we wonder what the sound like at this size. can you help us?
Old January 20th, 2007, 7:20 AM

wid is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I have had the VT 12 system ever since it came to market. I have it hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR 502 in a 6.1 configuration with a Hsu VTF-2 MK1 doing sub duty. I can tell you for certain these little gems are about impossible to beat for the money. In comparison I have a two channel system that consists of Axiom M80s and the STF-3. For amplification I have them hooked up to a Rotel Rb1080 with a Rotel RC 1070 as a preamp.

I am not going to tell you the little Hsu system is on par with my two channel rig but I will say it will surprise anyone who hears it. I think the highs are nice and crisp, maybe a tad rolled off, but most folks wouldn't notice it. The VTs blend with the sub efortlessly @ 80HZ. I don't think i need to comment on Hsus ability as a sub maker. The way Dr. Hsu blends the center channel with the two front sats is nothing short of amazing. The rears do as rears should by adding the sounds affects in movies and some ambient sound for music; of course this depends on what dps mode you use. I have had quite a few people over th check out this system and everyone of them has been wowed by it.

I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to recommend it to friends or family who is on a budget looking for a great little system.
Old January 20th, 2007, 8:23 PM

compare them if you can`

Have you had a chance to compare them to the Ascend Acoustics HTM 200's? I think they are both down to 80Hz but the AA is about 3x as large. Do you know if they are capable of performin up to par with them or does the HTM win b/c of sheer volume? I know their 340's and 170's are damn nice and for the money can't be beat from the research I have done. Please note I am NOT disagreeing or arguing with your system and reply, I have not heard them but I am working on getting a chance to do so here in the near future. If I can compare them, I will mark that here ~
Old January 20th, 2007, 9:12 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
Sorry but no I have not heard any Ascend speakers so I wouldn't be qualified to make this judgement.
Old January 21st, 2007, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiblConoiseur View Post
I would love to hear your opinion and testing facts... I strongly considered the NHT Classic Three line. How did you come about this information? I see they are 8ohm load with about 87 sensitivity. What receiver with what Watt/ch are you using?
Sorry I was away for a week.

I had Parasound amp/preamp driving NHT supezeros. I got fedup with all the cables and sold the electronics. Purchased a Pioneer receiver (110w x 7). The NHTs with this receiver sound ok, but nothing like when using separates. I prefer the VT12 to the superzeros with the receiver. So unless you spend $1000+ on a receiver, go with the VT12s. Or get an amp to drive the NHT speakers.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 8:49 AM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
I can't speak to a comparison with your speakers, but I do have the VT-12 and STF2 combination, and I can say that for the price I have not heard anything close to it in terms of musicality, accuracy, and (the all-important) very high Wife Acceptance Factor.

I replaced Bose front speakers, and when I got them all hooked up and calibrated, I was frankly blown away.

The center channel speaker seems to do an amazing job of filling the void between small sats and a subwoofer, all without localizing any inappropriate sounds to the center speaker, the soundstage and width are still amazing.

I have the same Onkyo receiver, and it's versatile but simple to use in daily operation, and it sounds awesome with the VT-12 setup.

From my very limited perspective, I'd think that you would probably be happy with the setup that you're considering.

Best of luck with the decision...
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:24 PM

I can't can't compare my experience with the VT12s to anything else as I havent' heard any of the others you have mentioned.

New to Bass....how did you calibrate your system? I know I need to do this so any help you can give would be much appreciated.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM

lemon,

spl meter and a little time. make sure to read spl meter directions just in case. set all speakers to match using white or pink noise and you should be good. with sub, turn it up to first knob and "Ear-ball" it until it sounds good to your ear with music and HT. for me, i like mine set to SW = -6 or -4 on my dial for music and b/t +4 & +8 for HT. just depends. i don't know right way to calibrate the system sub with an spl. anyone else know?