HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 22nd, 2009, 6:35 PM

tennisguy1 is on a distinguished road
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus , or VTF3-Mk2

It seems these are very similar and I understand both designed by Mr. Hsu. The Outlaw has a 350W BASH amp instead of the HSU's 250 . Price point is very similar, and I'm looking for a nice tight musical sub to pull 50% HT duty. Are there any other differences I should be aware of before making any decisions? Thanks!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 5:33 AM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
Similar <> Same...

Both are great choices, but I am sure they are not the same sub...
Your choice.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 6:37 AM

Yes, I'm sure they are not exactly the same, but since these are both ID subs and the chances to hear them before purchase is low, I was wondering if I could get mr. Hsu or others to chime in.. Thanks in advance.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 9:09 AM

skool is on a distinguished road
Although both subs are designed by Dr. Hsu, the actual driver may be different. Efficiency and design is key, and thus amp power here is irrelevant. The only advantage I see in the Outlaw sub is the plexiglass top. The VTF2 Mk. 3 (assume you mistakenly said VTF3 Mk. 2) has rear ports and could benefit in additional room gain if corner loaded.

You will not hear comments from Dr. Hsu nor Pete himself. In common courtesy, it is probably best they rather not commented on a partner's product, which is similar to their own.

Anyway, the bottom line, why get a product from somebody else when you could get it directly from Dr. Hsu?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM

Yes I did mean the VTF2-Mk3. Thanks for your response.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I can't speak directly to your question, as I "only" ()own the STF-2 and have not heard either of the subs you reference.

However, here are my thoughts, if I may...

My guess is that both subs will probably be very good, and that without comparing both side by side, the differences may not be very great.

So, if you are just buying and installing one of them, you are likely to be very pleased with the results, and may not ever know what the other one sounded like.

However, here's are some other variables that may bear consideration:

If you can buy two subs designed by Dr.Hsu, but only one still sold and supported by the company that bears his name, which one seems like it might be a better choice?

I've owned my Performance 2 system for about four years (and it was about the best $600.00 I've ever spent!), but only recently added the surrounds (home wiring issues), and now the system is phenomenal, especially for the price...!

However, during that time I have come to appreciate the sound quality, dedication to value and, perhaps most importantly "mindset" of Dr. Hsu and his people.

From everything I've heard and read, the good Doctor is humble, extremely gifted in his field, very much focused on results as well as exceptional value for the customer's dollar, and very, very concerned with customer service.

I've seen this permeate the way that I've been treated by Hsu staff, the way people talk about Hsu Research on this forum and others forums, and by the products that Hsu Reseach sells.

You can glimpse that respect in the fact that Hsu staff will never weigh in on a "which product is better" discussion, nor will they "bad-mouth" any competitor, as I believe that they prefer to let their products do the talking.

I had an opportunity to visit Hsu in Febriary of this year while on a vacation in Southern California, and was greeted warmly (thanks, Peter!) and absolutely blown away by the HB1-Mk2 speakers. The sense I got was of a "no-frills" organization focused on amazing sounds and amazing customer service, and that came through to me loud and clear!

So, I guess I say all that to say ---

The product you buy is only part of the purchase, and some of the other less-tangible aspects of the relationship you are starting are at least as important as price and specifications.

I'll wager that in a blind comparison or other unbiased testing, the Hsu Research subwoofer would come out very well the end, but that when you factor in all the other variables I've alluded to, the decision becomes an even easier and more obvious one.

I hope my opinion and thoughts are somewhat helpful, please let us all know your decision, no matter what it is, okay?
All the best, -Glenn
Old June 23rd, 2009, 7:53 PM

skool is on a distinguished road
Wow, great personal experience you shared. I wish I could visit the Hsu store in demo their products. Unfortunately, I live on the east coast and demo their products is not possible.
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM

I went with the HSU VTF2.3. I have a 2300 cubic ft. sealed area to fill. If it dosn't have enough push for the room, I'll just have to upgrade to the 3.3!! Can't wait to get it, it was the positive reviews on music performance that moved the needle for me.

Thanks for the contributions guys.
Old June 24th, 2009, 10:48 AM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
The 2.3 will be killer there!
Trust me!