HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 23rd, 2009, 1:40 AM

WesM867 is on a distinguished road
New STF-3 Owner

I just bought one of these on ebay for $450 + shipping from CA to FL. It's clean with original box and manual but I hope I did not overpay. I already have the Stf-2 I bought used and it's a GREAT subwoofer. I just needed more output for my room size. I believe this sub will cleanly fill our entire one floor house now.

I found a better placement today for the sub next to the couch. The stf-2 is a whole new monster all of a sudden though I still feel it could be better for movie LFE so hoping the extra 100 watts, larger cabinet and 2" larger woofer will help. I know this is a single tuned sub but since there are two ports can one be plugged as the VTF models can and will there be any improvement in extension? Was there a foam port plug included with new stf-3 subs? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks all, Wes
Old November 24th, 2009, 1:26 AM

Can I still buy a port plug? Are they still available? I suppose I could make one if not.

Thanks, Wes
Old November 24th, 2009, 4:42 PM

Ya'll are so quiet....
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM
DavidD

I have a STF-3 which didn't come with a port plug. There might have been some models which did, though. I'd check with the Hsu folks to see.
Old November 25th, 2009, 6:55 AM

95 Silver TA is on a distinguished road
I know that the VTF3 models comes with the plug but also has a switch on the amp. The switch is for Max Ext and Max Output. Max Output is for when the plug is out. Max Ext is for when the plug is used. Max Output gives about 4db more and Max Ext goes about 4hz lower. It was advised that you should not use Max Output with the plug in there as it may damage the sub. If the STF does not have this switch, its probably tuned and set for Max Output and is probably good idea NOT to use any port plugs but I'd wait for an HSU staff to reply before taking my word for it or PM Pete.

Thx,
Claude
Old November 25th, 2009, 8:43 AM

Bill Mitchell is on a distinguished road
Google turns up this discussion of the option of requesting a port plug for the STF-3, and an option as well to send the sub to Hsu to have the amplifier modified for MaxExtension.
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM
DavidD

Correct. My amplifier does not have a switch.
Old November 27th, 2009, 9:48 PM

I called Hsu today and ordered a test disc, port plug and sub interconnect for $48 shipped. I almost can't wait for the 'new' sub to arrive. I now feel I paid more than I should have considering these went for $600 new (+ shipping) but with original box and manual included, when it arrives it'll at least feel like I'm getting a new sub.
Old December 1st, 2009, 6:45 PM

I cancelled that order and ended up buying just a 15ft LC-1 subwoofer cable from BJC. I haven't got it yet but the sub did arrive today and it's set up in the living room. I have to say it is very LOUD !! I didn't expect this much output. I can't turn the gain much past 9 o'clock without serious vibrations in doors and walls. I honestly think I'm hearing more vibrations now than actual bass. I have the sub on carpet with the ports about 12 inches from the back wall. I bought a Subdude for my '2' but the deeper '3' sub will not fit. I suppose I could buy a Gramma isolation pad but I'm guessing this isn't ideal on carpet. Anybody know?

The only real problem I have is there is a hum (think AV123, ). If I turn the gain up it gets louder. At 9 o'clock it is faint but any higher and it is quite noticeable and gets annoying. If I shut it off via the toggle the noise is gone. I switched from 'auto' to 'on' and it remained. I had a lamp plugged into the same socket but I switched to an adjacent one but that didn't help. The only thing on the socket is the surge and sub. I noticed the power cord is much different than the '2'. It's thicker and has 3 prongs instead of 2. I'm guessing this is the one, unless seller shipped me a replacement. I will have to ask him. Am I going to need a 'cheater plug'?