HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 18th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Slider is on a distinguished road
Speaker recommendations for this setup?

I just joined after having done a good amount of research on home theater products and am purchasing a VTF2.

Along with an Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver and a Sharp Aquos LCD TV, I'm now beginning a hunt for speakers.

Pardon my ignorance, as I'm not a real audiophile, but how important is it to match speakers with a subwoofer?

ie: can anyone recommend good speakers to accompany this setup? thanks in advance!
Old June 18th, 2005, 12:48 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
WELCOME!

what is your budget?
Old June 18th, 2005, 8:46 PM

dlord is on a distinguished road
Need more info. Are you using this mostly for movies or will you frequently use the system for music. If so, what type of music? How big is your room? Do you want satellite, bookshelf, or floor standing speakers? How much do you want to spend?

For satellite speakers, or any full set of speakers under $500, it's tough to beat the Ventriloquists. If you listen to a lot of music, particularly accoustical, it's hard to beat B&Ws. They are not cheap or easy to find, but they will give you a lot more quality for your money than anything you will get at the chain stores.

Personally I have B&W 600's (10 years old) for the front channel and a B&W LCR-3 (new) for the center, and a set of Mission M7ds's for the surrounds (I couldn't afford any more B&W's and the little Mission dipoles were a great sounding inexpensive alternative). This system, with an STF-2 sounds remarkable in a really accousically poor room (large, sloped high ceiling, open on one side). The Ventrioquist's didn't quite cut it in this room, but sound great in a smaller room that I use only for movies.
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:49 PM

My budget is flexible but I'd like to keep it at around $1500 total. That may also depend on the value of the setup too; I'm not working with a hard budget per se, but am not going hogwild either.

The room is roughly 15' X 15', 9' ceilings, standard square config room. I'd like the flexibility for adapting to a larger room, however. Primary use is for home theater, TV and movies but secondarily music.

Flexible with bookshelf or floor standing, but wall mounting probably the most optimal now given the space and room configuration.
Also, how critical is it to have matched sets of surround speakers (ie: where the center may be different from the fronts which may be different from the rear surrounds)?

I've read about the Ventriloquists and am considering them; we're about to move this fall and the primary room where the home theater is going to be located will be much bigger, at which time I would likely move a smaller gauge system into a secondary room, master bedroom, etc.
Old June 20th, 2005, 4:13 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
I realize that this is the HSU site but when I say that you should give the Vent. system a try I mean it. I have 2 sets and even in the large room it shines. It is definately one of the best bargains in audio.

PS: what ever route you'll take I would always match speakers.

Hope this helps.
Old June 20th, 2005, 5:44 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
I must say the Vent system is a pretty good system for the $$$.For half of what you have for a speaker budget you could get the Stf 3 and Vt 12 system.Other speaker companies to look at would be Axiom and Ascend .Both of these manufactures are factory direct and have pretty good reveiws.
Old June 20th, 2005, 7:02 PM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
I have seen the the Vents outperform a lot of satellite systems costing more. I will not hesitate to recommend friends to buy the Vents set. But to be honest, it will depend on what you want?

For movies coupled with an HSU sub, you will have a lot of good times with these twos. And I will be pretty upset if I don't have the Vents when I watch a movie in DD/DTS.

For music, it is a different story. Personnally, I have tested the Vents in stereo mode in one of the other thread with the center channel feature off, they are far to match with my other two pairs of B&W 601dm3 and B&W VM1 in term of clarity of sound with a little bit of bass because they go lower in frequency response. But it does not mean necessarely that in stereo mode, they sound bad, they are just simply a little above average to me.

Only things can be said good to a company specialized to build high quality speakers like B&W or a company like HSU specialized to build decent subwoofers and some technology built into the Vents that no other manufacturers else has done before. And I doubt they do, this is a unique masterpiece from the good Dr.

But lessons I have learned is to go to audition different brand of speakers with different prices. Go to a real audio store which only sells hi-fi system and equipped with adequate demo rooms. Higher priced ones will help you to see some difference that you won't be able to get with lower priced one. When you have done this, you will have more chance to find the right set of speakers. A couple of professional reviews on models that you finally deciding to buy will also help.

Having said that, if I have to give you a straight answer, I will buy without hesitation B&W speakers and HSU subwoofers specially the Heavy Ornament ones.
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the responses...

I am considering the Vent system strongly, especially given the size of the existing room.

I have read several reviews about how finicky they are in terms of placement, but that's a challenge I'm certainly willing to undertake for the value this system presents.

If I go with the Vents, I have to decide which sub to get then. Ah, decisions, hehe...
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:02 AM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I've got a VT-12/STF2 system on order, so I can't speak to what they sound like just yet.

However, I was considering the Paradigm Cinema 110 system before I found out about the Hsu system, and that system was very well-reviewed. However, as I read more online about the Ventriloquist system, and the acclaim given to Hsu subwoofers, I decided to take a chance and buy them without hearing them.

I figured (and I know that this is flawed logic at some level) that if reviewers picked the Hsu system over the Paradigms, and I liked the sound of the Paradigms a lot, it was a pretty safe bet that I'd like the Hsus as well. I'm also investing in the Avia calibration DVD, and a Radio Shack SPL meter, and calibrating the system before I call it good.

The other factor mitigating my decision is that I'm moving from (and don't ridicule me here) a Bose AM5 Series 1 stereo speaker system purchased in the late 80's, a mismatched JBL center channel, and mismatched Altec Lansing surrounds, all powered by a 7-year-old lower-end harman/kardon AVR20 Mark II receiver.

I knew that that "system" didn't sound great, but it was what I had managed to put together over the years, and it was okay. (it's now in our bedroom, but I suspect that I'll want to upgrade that as well over time!)
I expect that in comparison to what we're used to, the Hsu VT-12/STF2 system will be pretty amazing.

Look for a lot more posts from me in the future, and especially after I get the speakers installed and calibrated. Now my hope is that the ebay seller of the Onkyo receiver I bought honors the really, really low price I won the auction at, and actually ships the receiver!

Hope my perspective is a little bit helpful, and I wish you all the best with your decision. From the feedback from the passionate folks around here, you'll probably be pretty happy with Hsu!

Best, -Glenn
Old June 22nd, 2005, 5:26 PM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_bass
However, I was considering the Paradigm Cinema 110 system before I found out about the Hsu system, and that system was very well-reviewed.
Review is one thing, having the system in your HT room is something else. There are so many users in this forum all very satisfied with HSU products and many of them including myself have done the same path to go for HSU product.

I will doubt that the Paradigm Cinema 110 sub as many sub which come as HTiB package can't beat the HSU STF-2's performance. Simply STF-2 as other HSU subs have powerful BASH amplifier and HSU sub has been known for its musicality. Besides, you have also a cool forum to get help if you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_bass
I figured (and I know that this is flawed logic at some level) that if reviewers picked the Hsu system over the Paradigms, and I liked the sound of the Paradigms a lot, it was a pretty safe bet that I'd like the Hsus as well.
I don't know the Paradigm sattelite's sound in movies. The Vent's center channel is just amazing delivering impressive sound. But for something I can tell for sure. If today, I have to buy and I don't have any satellite system, I buy HSU sub and the Vents. If I have to buy an another set for a different theater room, it will also be an HSU sub and either the Vent Mk2 or not. Why do you think that HSU has 30 day trial? Simply seal of superior quality product, one way ticket to home of future happy customers.

Welcome to the forum since I just notice that this is your first post. Keep us posted!