HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 6th, 2005, 12:11 PM

curious george is on a distinguished road
Question Onkyo 602 auto setup

Hello everyone. I plan on doing an overhall of my current setup including some Ventriloquists and a new receiver. I have always been a fan of Onkyo and see that they come recommended by HSU, so I am considering an Onkyo TX-SR602. I think I am fully capable of setting up a receiver manually (no problems on my Yamaha HTR5140), but wondered if anyone has had experience with the Onkyo auto setup? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old July 13th, 2005, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious george
Hello everyone. I plan on doing an overhall of my current setup including some Ventriloquists and a new receiver. I have always been a fan of Onkyo and see that they come recommended by HSU, so I am considering an Onkyo TX-SR602. I think I am fully capable of setting up a receiver manually (no problems on my Yamaha HTR5140), but wondered if anyone has had experience with the Onkyo auto setup? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Anyone?
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
I have the 600 which does not have autosetup, but I don't think the autosetup will be a problem. You can always tweek it a little after the autosetup does its thing.
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley
I have the 600 which does not have autosetup, but I don't think the autosetup will be a problem. You can always tweek it a little after the autosetup does its thing.
Well, my concern is that the only real review that I have read of the 602 is from CNet, and it says the auto-setup does not really work as advertised and seems to not allow any changes. Steve Guttenberg suggested that he had to totally abandon the auto-setup settings and initiate some type of hidden reset to clear them out. Now I have read in other reviews on consumer sites with no mention of that - so I have to wonder if it was a fluke.

Regardless, I wondered if anyone had used it with the VT-12s and how it stacked up against the MCACC (sp?) or YAPO systems (or any others for that matter).

Thanks for your thoughts ...I am pretty sure that this is a good receiver regardless of auto-setup.
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
I would go to the Onkyo website and download the manual. That way you can see for yourself what the exact steps are.

Where are you getting the 602 - I see that JandR has refurbished ones for $249 right now.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/own...m?cat=Receiver
Old July 13th, 2005, 2:44 PM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
I'm on the verge of ordering a refurbished 602 from J and R right now myself, I don't know if there's a better A/V receiver value out there.

Anyone have any comments on any other alternatives before I commit to that decision?

Thanks in advance,
-Glenn

P.S. To answer the original question (and sorry for the "thread-jacking"!) the general consensus I've read online at HRF and elsewhere is that any automated calibration is not as accurate at the process with a SPL meter and a DVD like Avia.

I'm a relative newbie and have not done either process yet, so I'm just sharing what I've read.

My sense is that an automated process is better than nothing, but not as good as a more detailed manual calibration process. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old July 13th, 2005, 7:39 PM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_bass
I'm on the verge of ordering a refurbished 602 from J and R right now myself, I don't know if there's a better A/V receiver value out there.

Anyone have any comments on any other alternatives before I commit to that decision?

Thanks in advance,
-Glenn

P.S. To answer the original question (and sorry for the "thread-jacking"!) the general consensus I've read online at HRF and elsewhere is that any automated calibration is not as accurate at the process with a SPL meter and a DVD like Avia.

I'm a relative newbie and have not done either process yet, so I'm just sharing what I've read.

My sense is that an automated process is better than nothing, but not as good as a more detailed manual calibration process. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Two links below may help you to decide to go for a receiver with auto setup and what are the benefits of its use:

A/V receivers with automatic calibration
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6245845-1.html

Home Theater Auto Setup and Calibration

http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/jump.jsp?itemID=544&itemType=CONTENT&path=19&Kicke rID=128&KICKER
Old July 14th, 2005, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafguy
Two links below may help you to decide to go for a receiver with auto setup and what are the benefits of its use:

A/V receivers with automatic calibration
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6245845-1.html

Home Theater Auto Setup and Calibration

http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/jump.jsp?itemID=544&itemType=CONTENT&path=19&Kicke rID=128&KICKER
Thanks Tafguy,

I have a good handle on what auto-setup is and is *supposed* to do do for you. I have also read the C/Net reviews - and that is exactly what I am asking about. The C/Net review of the Onkyo 602 says that auto-setup, on the Onkyo 602 specifically, does not work well. I was wondering if anyone on this forum a) has an Onkyo 602 and b) had the same experience. It seems no one has one though. Oh well. Thanks for the help anyway.
Old July 17th, 2005, 6:49 PM

How about the Yamaha receiver reviewed in link below?:

Quote:
Yamaha allows enthusiasts to access and edit the internal parameters of its DSP modes—adjusting variables such as room size or "liveness," delay times, and other reverberation characteristics—to fine-tune their sound or to create new modes. Further, the RX-V657 is an XM Satellite Radio-ready receiver that, through addition of an optional XM "Connect & Play" module, lets users connect to the big "media server in the sky." Enticing though these features may be, the really big news is that the RXV657 sounds great ....

In fact, the RX-V657's superior automatic setup and equalization features (which include a system calibration microphone) make it one of the easiest-to-use and most foolproof receivers you will find. If doing your own A/V system setup is cause for high anxiety, this may be the AVR for you, because it can adjust itself to deliver audiophile-grade sound at the click of one simple menu item.

Sonic neutrality demands smooth, even frequency response, which the Yamaha helps your system achieve through its automated, seven-band YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) EQ system. While the RX-V657 is not the first YPAO equipped receiver we've tried, it may be the first whose implementation passes muster by audiophile standards (earlier iterations worked as advertised, but they undercut clarity). Here, YPAO eliminates most audible room-induced colorations, while letting fine inner details and textural subtleties come shining through. While you might hear an ever-so-slight coarsening of treble textures with the equalizer engaged, this seems a small great place to start, offering value for money that will be tough to beat.
Read on more if you are interested ...

http://www.avguide.com/AVG_monthly/issue17_hispeed.pdf

Check out also the new Pioneer DVD 588A-S Universal player that now supports Divx format if you like SACD/DVD-A format.

Last edited by tafguy : July 17th, 2005 at 7:01 PM.
Old July 17th, 2005, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafguy
How about the Yamaha receiver reviewed in link below?:

Read on more if you are interested ...

http://www.avguide.com/AVG_monthly/issue17_hispeed.pdf

Check out also the new Pioneer DVD 588A-S Universal player that now supports Divx format if you like SACD/DVD-A format.
Thanks for the tip on the Pioneer player.

As for a new receiver, I was really leaning toward Onkyo...not sure why though. I guess I have always felt they were great for the money. Does anyone have opinions on Yamaha vs. Onkyo? I have an older Yamaha amp now and like it, but find setup options to be a little limited (not that I think this will be the case with newer units).
Old July 22nd, 2005, 2:51 AM

DVD hardware news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious george
Thanks for the tip on the Pioneer player.
But if you like Onkyo, there are new DVD players to choose from Onkyo in below link:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...ws.php?id=8223

I also heard that Pioneer A/V receiver with excellent MCACC too!

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...ws.php?id=8198