HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 5th, 2005, 2:53 PM

hifi_homeboy is on a distinguished road
should I dump my Onkyo TX-SR503 for

Hey guys. I am really enjoying my Onkyo TX-SR503 receiver. Which is extremely easy to setup and use btw.

Do you guys think I should dump the Onkyo TX-SR503 for the Onkyo TX-SR602 ??

I mean what do I really gain out of it? 10 xtra watts per channel, a auto setup mode and on screen disply settings. U think I should? Or should I just keep my Onkyo TX-SR503.? Thanks
Old August 5th, 2005, 6:29 PM

wid is on a distinguished road
If it were me I would keep what I have.There is going to be no benifit of the 10 extra watts.Unless the other features are something you really want.I still have an Onkyo 502 and am stiil quite happy with it.
Old August 5th, 2005, 8:47 PM

fibreKid is on a distinguished road
10 watts?

Well from what I have read, most folks will notice a difference in volume at about 3dB of change and you must double the power for every 3dB of change. To double the volume would be 10 dB. Now the spl (volume) will decrease 6dB every time you double the distance (1, 2, 4 meters) from your ear to the speaker. With that said you probably wouldn't be able to hear much of a difference for 10 watts. There is a nice table that shows this on page 90 & 91 of Home Theater Hacks written by Brett McLaughlin published by O'Reilly.

Focus on the features, is there something you can't live without?

Good luck,
-john
Old August 6th, 2005, 3:33 PM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
Normally, I'd just say "keep it", but having just bought a refurbished 602 at J&R for $249.00, I can heartily recommend that receiver...

The on-screen display is great, though it's really only for the display of information when you're setting the receiver up, and you do have to change the TV to another source besides DVD, VCR, etc.

The backlit programmable remote is sweet as well. If I could sell my current receiver for a price where I'd have to spend $50.00 or $75.00 for the 602, I'd do it. You never know what ebay might do for you, it can sure be surprising sometimes!

Final thought, though, as I've not owned a new AV receiver in probably 7 years, there are an amazing amount of configuration settings on these new ones, and I still have a LOT to learn on my new Onkyo... Sure is fun, though!

-Glenn
VT-12/STF2 setup, all in silver
Onkyo 602 (black, but that looks fine in my entertainment center, and that's all J&R had in a refurbished unit.)
Old August 6th, 2005, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_bass
Normally, I'd just say "keep it", but having just bought a refurbished 602 at J&R for $249.00, I can heartily recommend that receiver...

The on-screen display is great, though it's really only for the display of information when you're setting the receiver up, and you do have to change the TV to another source besides DVD, VCR, etc.

The backlit programmable remote is sweet as well. If I could sell my current receiver for a price where I'd have to spend $50.00 or $75.00 for the 602, I'd do it. You never know what ebay might do for you, it can sure be surprising sometimes!

Final thought, though, as I've not owned a new AV receiver in probably 7 years, there are an amazing amount of configuration settings on these new ones, and I still have a LOT to learn on my new Onkyo... Sure is fun, though!

-Glenn
VT-12/STF2 setup, all in silver
Onkyo 602 (black, but that looks fine in my entertainment center, and that's all J&R had in a refurbished unit.)
Thanks all.

BTW Glen, How do you like that STF2 sub and VT12 setup?
Have u heard any-other setups before you decided on this deal? Thanks for your small review if you do so.
Old August 8th, 2005, 12:46 AM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi_homeboy
Thanks all.

BTW Glen, How do you like that STF2 sub and VT12 setup?
Have u heard any-other setups before you decided on this deal? Thanks for your small review if you do so.
Hey, there, sorry for the delayed response.... I had auditioned the Paradigm Cinema 110, which was more money (about $679.00) and a little more "traditional" in design, in that there was nothing like the Ventriloquist feature. They were a 5.1 system, and they did have a nice pair of dipole surround speakers. Good speakers overall, but my recollection is that they are nothing like the Hsu speakers. The subwoofer was just okay, nothing like the STF2 as far as I could tell. I had also listened to an Infinity HT setup, though I'm unsure of the exact model of speakers. They were in a big-box store, and must have been set up very imperfectly, as they did not sound very good at all.

The Hsu speakers seem to have a very well-defined presence, instruments and voices are very clear. Movies are a pleasure to watch now, even old familiar movies seem to come to life with these new speakers.

For the price I paid, I don't think that I could have found a better speaker system anywhere. I'm a very happy Hsu customer!

-Glenn
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Thasp is on a distinguished road
Onkyo lies about their power ratings quite a bit(65x5 from a receiver that weighs 20 lbs - good one!), so you can't really know wheather or not it's a 10 wpc difference, or a 30 wpc difference. But if you're not overdriving your current receiver and it has the features you want, no reason to get a new one.
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasp
Onkyo lies about their power ratings quite a bit(65x5 from a receiver that weighs 20 lbs - good one!), so you can't really know wheather or not it's a 10 wpc difference, or a 30 wpc difference. But if you're not overdriving your current receiver and it has the features you want, no reason to get a new one.
I am surethe power is not consistant, but it does pump my Yamaha towers realy darn nice though...
Old August 8th, 2005, 7:47 PM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
I don't think Onkyo lies. They actually rate more conservatively than most - using an order or magnitude lower distortion levels.
Old August 8th, 2005, 8:03 PM

Thasp is on a distinguished road
I used an amp that weighed less than the speaker + audio interconnect cables I used to attach everything before my new receiver came, and it all worked fine, so I doubt lower power is too much of a concern - when it comes to mains, people often overestimate how much they need. Yet seeing an amp that light with such high ratings made me wonder, and after seeing some tests (first test, second test) done on them, it's hard to believe they put out what they claim to.
Old August 9th, 2005, 2:22 AM

Thanks. Oh what the heck, I will keep the 503. It only costed me 250.00 from CC and it was on a price match. Which now it is back at 299.00. I am sure it is cheaper somewhere online.
The 503 is really easy to setup. Remote is kind. I really do not care too much for toy options and settings. I am not a tweek freak and that is why one of the main reasons why I perfer a stand alone dvd player over a HTPC.
Tomorrow I get my Rockets by Onix in and will hook the 503 to it. And now the sub delima here:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1703
Old August 9th, 2005, 2:25 AM

Wow.. jusst check CC website. its on sale for $239.00. Looks like I am still in my 30 days. Time to get a new price match tomorrow

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ....do?oid=120213
Old August 9th, 2005, 2:29 AM

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...503B-f_LD.jpeg

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...TXS503B-R.jpeg