HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM

jephdood is on a distinguished road
One large sub or several smaller ones?

Is there ever any advantage to scattering several smaller subs around a room over one large one? For example, has anyone opted for, or been advised, to pick up 2 or even 3 STF-2's over maybe one single VTF-3? Say, if you wanted to have one sub nearfield (behind the sofa), then maybe one in the front of the room and perhaps even a third on one side.

Or, do you still just want the larger driver for that depth that the STF-2 just isn't built for? Now, I'm talking both music and near reference level HT here..

Just curious if this setup has ever been preferred..
Old August 13th, 2005, 2:16 PM

Hans Gruber is on a distinguished road
Smile

You have described what sounds like carpet bombing. Adding 2-4 subs with provide diminished returns and would be a nightmare to balance. Why buy 3 or 4 subs when 1 nuclear bomb will do the trick. A VTF-3 MK2 should provide enough shock and awe to kills and or upset the neighbors. If the wife can't tollerate the overpowering bass, send her back to her father. You will be much happier.
Old August 13th, 2005, 7:03 PM

I have an SVS PB12-ISD/2 now and had a VTF3 II before that (And YES, I regret selling that baby every time I go to listen to music), so I know about nuclear bombs.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this and what kind of results it produced. You're right though.. would probably be a nightmare to EQ.

I'm now just waiting around to see what happens with the HO line or if there's some incredible VTF-3 sell-off, I'd certainly jump on a pair of those.

The Beatles once said.. "Get back.. get back.. get back to where you once belonged."

Miss that VTF-3..
Old August 13th, 2005, 7:17 PM

finchna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber
If the wife can't tollerate the overpowering bass, send her back to her father. You will be much happier.
There's no reason to disparage women to make a point about a Hsu sub.
Old August 13th, 2005, 9:04 PM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
(Amen to what finchna said! - besides, a good wife is far better than ANY piece of audio gear, and you 'aint changing my mind about that!!!)

Okay, back on topic....
Check out the "Things to know. Part II" thread on this very forum, the exact question of "one big versus multiple little subs" is addressed in a lot of detail. Good reading!

Take care,
-Glenn
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:26 PM

BillyBob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchna
There's no reason to disparage women to make a point about a Hsu sub.
...can't live with 'em....................................pass the beernuts!
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:15 AM

NORM!