HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 5th, 2005, 8:07 AM

sirspe is on a distinguished road
What do I need?

I'm piecing together a home theater.
By my friends standards, my standards are high.
By audiophile standards, my standards are low.

I have a decent ear, but I doubt I'd notice the difference between a $500 and a $5000 subwoofer... and I'm kinda glad I don't.

And as much as I like good sound, I'm not a big bass guy. I don't get jazzed by room-shaking bass (unless there is supposed to be a dinosaur/fighter jet in movie I'm watching).

I like balanced sound. And that's why I'm going to buy a Hsu.

I don't listen at very high levels, but really don't wat any distortion.

I want my system to function for both music and movies.

I've got a midpriced Denon receiver and Ascend 170 Mains. I'm currently using an Athena AS 1 for a center, but I imagine I'll upgrade to and Ascend 170 or 340 when I find the time/money/opportunity.

But now, I need a sub.
My room is 10 x 12.

HOW MUCH SUB DO I REALLY NEED?

My WAF is less on appearance and more on money. My find-the-best-midpriced-option tendencies have led me to look at the VTF2-MK2. But at $400-$500, it's a tough sell for my wife.

So I started thinking, what about the STF1? My room may be small enough to pull it off.

So I ask all of you who can put aside any "bigger is better" tendencies (or even "better is better" tendencies) to help make a recommendation for WHICH SUB IS RIGHT FOR ME?
Old September 5th, 2005, 8:38 AM

wid is on a distinguished road
By all accounts the STF-1 has useable output down to the 25hz range and from 30hz on up is an outstanding little sub.I would suspect in a room of your size the STF-1 would give you great performance.If you consider price vs. performance this would be a real hard sub to beat.

Last edited by wid : September 8th, 2005 at 4:02 PM.
Old September 5th, 2005, 8:51 AM

new_to_bass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I have a STF-2 in a 17' x 18' room, and it's just awesome.

I'm tempted to recommend the same sub to you, but I understand your train of thought, and expect that a STF-1 would be an excellent chioce in your room.

I mean, if the size of your space and your description of your requirements do not create an ideal environment for the use of a STF-1, I can't imagine what does!

(With all the said, I'd still get a STF-2, but I guess I'm just a typical "bigger is better" American!)

Best of luck, I'm certain that you'll be happy with a Hsu sub, whichever one you choose!
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the quick replies...
...keep them coming.

I'm getting the sense that any Hsu sub (since STF1 is the cheapest) would be greaat for me...

At what point do I get into overkill? Or is that not possible in this forum

Is there something very unique about the VTF line that I'm be missing with STF's?
Thanks
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
At what point do I get into overkill? Or is that not possible in this forum
Overkill ? I have never heard of that word http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif

If you look in the faq section it will tell you the differance between the VTF and STF series.
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:13 PM

ekĘsine is on a distinguished road
sirspe I don't think that STF-1 will be enough for that room. Keep persuading your wife about getting the STF-2. It's better to wait and save up in my opinion. You will notice a much improved performance over the STF1. My guess is that it's about twice the output of an STF1.
Old September 6th, 2005, 6:17 AM

VTF v. STF
I understand the "faq" differences between STF and VTF... and, of course, I really like the idea of VTF.
If the STF is fixed, which way does it skew... Low or high (compared to the range available on the VTF)? Or is it right in the middle?
Having heard neither, I'd love to hear other people's experiences with both.

STF 1 v. STF 2
From my limited reading, I understand that there should be a pretty big difference from a 8" to a 10" driver... that there are limitations to what a 8" can produce.
I'm less concerned with the power of the STF1, but more concerned with the musical abilities of the sub.

thanks everyone.
Old September 6th, 2005, 8:47 AM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
10' x 12' is small enought that the STF-1 should provide an awesome amound of bass. It will give up some of the deepest tones to the larger subs, but anything from 30 Hz on up will be very authoritative.

If price is a problem then one route to consider is B stock. A B stock STF-1 is about $240 and a B stock STF-2 is about $320. The STF-2 will go a little deeper and will be able to handle a larger room if you move.
Old September 6th, 2005, 9:41 AM

Tell me more about B-Stock... those are new that have minor defects? Or is that simply used?

Also, how many people will be looking to sell off their current subs whenever the HO line comes out?

Or are we not supposed to talk about that kinda stuff on the company forum?
Old September 6th, 2005, 2:19 PM

I have to agree with Dudley and say again that I think the STF-1 would do a fine job in a room of your size.If you want to look into b-stock then here is the place to look or you could also give Dr. Hsu a call.
Old September 6th, 2005, 4:33 PM

jmg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jmg Send a message via Yahoo to jmg
I have a STF1 and I use it mostly for music and its an awesome performer. Like you I was under a budget not more than 400 dollars. Otherwise its hard to justify the purchase. I compared a few subs from M&K and B&W and I gambled on the HSU and I won. Its awesome and even better for movies. My living room is rectangle and about 300 sq ft. If that helps.

Jolida 1701A Hybrid Int. Amp with Ei 12AX7 tubes
B&W 602 Series 3 Loudspeakers
Sony ES CD Player
Sony DVD Player
Audioquest Jaguar DBS Interconnect
Audioquest Sidewinder Interconnect
Audioquest CV-6 DBS Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
Audioquest NRG-3 Powercable
Monster Cable M-Series 550 Subwoofer Interconnect
Video Cabling by Tributaries
Old September 7th, 2005, 7:36 PM

JonnyOzero3 is on a distinguished road
10' x 12'? I think you should definately wait for dual VTF-3 HO's with Turbos. Yup.
Old September 8th, 2005, 2:42 AM

Hans Gruber is on a distinguished road
Smile My vote is for the VTF-3 MK2

If you had an 8x4ft prison cell, I would still suggest the VTF-3 MK2. Nothing beats having that 20hz at the bottom. Anybody who settles for less is either cheap or on a tight budget.

To quote the gay dynamic duo Wham, "If your gonna do it do it right." I will leave it at that because the rest of the lyrics are gay and have nothing to do with home theater.
Old September 8th, 2005, 3:35 AM

Quote:
If you had an 8x4ft prison cell, I would still suggest the VTF-3 MK2. Nothing beats having that 20hz at the bottom. Anybody who settles for less is either cheap or on a tight budget.
Maybe Hsu should scrap all but the VTF- 3 seeing how anything less is just a waste of our time and money http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...s/rolleyes.gif
Old September 8th, 2005, 5:49 AM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber
Anybody who settles for less is either cheap or on a tight budget.
No Kidding!