HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 11th, 2009, 3:30 AM

hjones4841 is on a distinguished road
Smile Your Favorite Hsu Sub Demo Material

Let's have some fun. List your favorite tracks, movies, etc., that you use to demo your Hsu sub(s). Please list your sub model, how many, the DVD or CD title and its format (music CD, DVD, Blu Ray, SACD, etc.), the particular track or location in the movie, the type of audio decoding you use (DTS, Dolby Digital, multichannel CD, DTS MA, Dolby True Digital, etc.) And most importantly, what characteristic of your Hsu sub that impresses you most when demo'ing this material.

I will start with one of my favorites.

Chris Botti in Boston, Blu Ray, Dolby True HD, track: "The Look of Love." Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive. This track demos the impressive transient response of the ULS-15s. The definition of the kick drum and electric bass notes is outstanding. Then, there is Sy Smith's lovely voice, but, hey, that doesn't come out of the subs.
Old October 11th, 2009, 8:48 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
If you want to give your subs a workout, check out a CD called "Anatomy" by Calyx and Teebee. It is Drum'n'bass so it won't be everyone's cop of tea, but it will definitely use your subs, and not gently. Using a Hsu sub for most music is like driving to the grocery store in a Corvette, but "Anatomy" is like driving that vette on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "No turning back" is another great subwoofer workout from Calyx, well worth checking out. My ULS dual drive eats those pounding beats and throbbing basslines where a lesser sub would beg for mercy, at least at the volumes I am accustomed too.
Old October 12th, 2009, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Using a Hsu sub for most music is like driving to the grocery store in a Corvette
Excellent analogy!
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM

kmitchell is on a distinguished road
http://www.animusic.com

Animusic 1: Drum Machine

Animusic 2: Starship Groove

Animusic 2: Gyro Drums
Old October 15th, 2009, 6:01 PM

LazyMarc11 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

my favortie demo has to be bass305,i highly recommend it.http://www.amazon.com/Best-Bass-305/dp/B00000192I
Old October 17th, 2009, 8:34 AM

scottfox is on a distinguished road
How about some music someone might actually want to listen to. Yeah there's plenty of "artists" out there who put out Boom Boom CDs. They were big in car stereo competitions back in the 80's, like Bass Mechanix. Here's some you might actually want to listen to:
ELP- Lucky man
Flim & the BBs- Tricycle
Led Zep- Moby Dick
Li'l John- Get low
Linkin Park- FRGT 10
Linkin Park- My December
Alanis Morissete- Uninvited
Saint Saens- Organ symphony
Steely Dan- Cousin Dupree
Steely Dan- Janie Runaway
Steely Dan- What a shame about me
Sting- A Thousand years

DVD wise, there are tons of them out there, here's some of my fav's:
The Haunting
Flight of the Phoenix

The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Live Free or Die Hard
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World
Pulse
War of the Worlds

Blackhawk Down
The Dark Knight

Finding Nemo
Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Iron Man
Man on Fire
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Titan A.E.
The Incredibles

Old October 17th, 2009, 9:52 AM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
Not sure it is my favorite, but I just got recordings of a Saturn V rocket lift off, and it is very cool.
Old October 17th, 2009, 2:18 PM

driftwood is on a distinguished road
The best material I have come across is several scenes in The Matrix Reloaded, including the freeway scene. The most impressive movie scene I've heard is the "Darla Taps the Tank" in Finding Nemo (1:18:18s)
For music the 20Hz stuff from "Bass, I love you" by basstronics is good.
Old October 18th, 2009, 6:57 AM

hometheatergeek is on a distinguished road
Believe it or not the BluRay of Sheryl Crow on Soundstage has a few good songs:

10. Home
11. All I Wanna Do
12. Soak Up the Sun

There is an obscured band called Deepsky that has a song called "View from a Stairway" and during the song there is a bass sweep that runs from around 60hz down to below 20Hz at least three times during the song. Crank your subs and give a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ygED...x=0&playnext=1.
If you let this run it will play the entire ablum. But the first song is probably the best for a bass sweep.

The DVD "Two Against Nature" by Steely Dan just rocks.
Plus Hjones now knows how good The Eagles "Farewell Tour 1" is for mid- bass slam.

All of the movies scott suggested plus of course the Ironhide flip in Transformers.

Plus I predict these future bass hits which are on my wish list:

Transformers ROTF (This Tuesday)
Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
2012 maybe

Oh and to follow Hjones request all of this sounds fantastic on my ULS-15 dual drive + two velodyne subs system.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Pipe Organ SACD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
I have this on order. Four pipe organs going at the same time in multichannel SACD. Should be a real treat. I will report back when it comes in
Old October 19th, 2009, 3:32 PM

kswanson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
Not sure it is my favorite, but I just got recordings of a Saturn V rocket lift off, and it is very cool.
I've heard of these floating around but haven't been able to find one. Where did you get yours?
Old October 19th, 2009, 4:21 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswanson View Post
I've heard of these floating around but haven't been able to find one. Where did you get yours?
I actually got them from a friend.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:45 PM

Here is one source for those files. Here and here is another source if that other link doesn't work. Be careful, these were one of the only sounds that I have ever been able to overdrive my VTF3/Turbo with. Supposedly the frequencies dip down to 1/4 hertz, so its no wonder.
Old October 20th, 2009, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Here is one source for those files. Here and here is another source if that other link doesn't work. Be careful, these were one of the only sounds that I have ever been able to overdrive my VTF3/Turbo with. Supposedly the frequencies dip down to 1/4 hertz, so its no wonder.
Wow, thanks for posting those shady! I am afraid to turn them up too much on my vtf3 as at low volumes its moving a ton of air. Damn my head hurts form just listening to it though
Old October 22nd, 2009, 4:05 PM

95 Silver TA is on a distinguished road
Transformer 2 on Blu Ray
Flight of the Phoenix on Blu Ray

There much more but these two and an HSU sub is BLISS!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 4:07 PM

Anubisrocks is on a distinguished road
The Main Monkey Business from Rush "Snakes and Arrows"

Red Barachetta - Rush (nice way to test how much the sub can bring out the subtle mid-range bass note accurately and with clarity)

Actually Rush in general is always a good "go to".

With or Without You - U2 = Adam's bass stays strictly in the lower frequencies on this one. (I just noticed that myself and would have brought it to demo had I known before hand).
Old October 23rd, 2009, 9:50 AM

MagFan is on a distinguished road
Almost ANY well recorded Pipe Organ.

The San Diego Municipal Organist, Carol Williams has a couple albums, and
anything by Telarc will work.
Hear her LIVE every Sunday down in Balboa Park. Perhaps the LAST public outdoor Pipe Organ on the planet.
Old October 24th, 2009, 8:57 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
Smile

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=146

Ddavidson
Old December 5th, 2009, 3:41 AM

Just watched a rented Terminator Salvation last night. So all I got to watch was the PG-13 version.

BTW Blockbuster what's up with no popup/top menu choices? I stopped the movie to eat dinner and when I came back to it you can't select a chapter to go to. The only choices were audio setup. WTF? I had to manually skip chapters to get back to where I was when I stopped the movie.

Anyway

You got to own this one.

Some of the scenes in this movie have the most intense bass I have ever heard. Better then Ironman, Incredible Hulk and the Transformers movie. This movie will work those 15" drivers harder than any previous movie played on your system. Critics panned this movie but they must not have the same systems we have. The bass was so intense it made watching the movie extremely enjoyable. It really drew you into the movie experience.

Pete you got to get this for demo purposes in your showroom. Play some scenes from your older demos, then play this movie last and your customers will be writing a check before the demo is over.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old December 5th, 2009, 6:56 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the tip htg On Blu Ray, we have Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Hulk. I don't think we have Ironman. We'll have to check out T. Salvation. Any particular scenes that you recommend?

I saw Terminator Salvation at the theater, and was hugely disappointed in the plot of the movie compared to the first three Terminator movies...
Old December 6th, 2009, 1:51 AM

I liked the action scenes in terminator salvation, but wow, as a long time terminator fan, I hated the plot too. I can't talk about why without going into spoilers.

The movie I am looking forward to hearing with my subs is 2012. My local theater doesn't have the greatest deep bass although I think above 30 to 40 hertz it is very good. I think the DTS mix on this movie for the blu-ray will be an opportunity to be the bass king of all films forever and ever. Hopefully they will not waste the potential.
Old December 6th, 2009, 2:00 AM

bsoko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I liked the action scenes in terminator salvation, but wow, as a long time terminator fan, I hated the plot too. I can't talk about why without going into spoilers.

The movie I am looking forward to hearing with my subs is 2012. My local theater doesn't have the greatest deep bass although I think above 30 to 40 hertz it is very good. I think the DTS mix on this movie for the blu-ray will be an opportunity to be the bass king of all films forever and ever. Hopefully they will not waste the potential.
Agree! Action scenes and bass was excellent for any system. Story line started out OK, but a the movie went on, blah!

Bill
Old December 6th, 2009, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post
Thanks for the tip htg On Blu Ray, we have Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Hulk. I don't think we have Ironman. We'll have to check out T. Salvation. Any particular scenes that you recommend?

I saw Terminator Salvation at the theater, and was hugely disappointed in the plot of the movie compared to the first three Terminator movies...
The best scene is called the Harvester scene and following chapter. I think it is chapter 6 and 7. It is a good 20 minutes of non stop bass. I had a rental from Blockbuster and it did not have chapter selection. Really, no chapter selection.

Then of course the ending scene is also demo worthy. I had re-arranged my room again and the ULS are now behind my front speakers and the two older Velodynes are now nearfield. With this setup both music and movies have now been optimized.

I have all of the Terminator movies accept the first one and I thought this was as good as the other ones. Different but still good. You have to somewhat forget about the other movies in order to enjoy this one. I plan on buying this when it is dirt cheap.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old December 6th, 2009, 3:11 AM

Quote:

Yes I am also hoping 2012 kicks you know what. I predicted 4 s in an early post.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old December 6th, 2009, 8:05 AM

SkyBox is on a distinguished road
Quote:

There is a helicopter scene in Terminator that is amazing! I have never heard heli blades sound so good, but my new MBM12 may have something to do with that.
Old December 6th, 2009, 8:33 AM

THX, DTS, DD Surround Sound demo disc

Download the .iso image file located at the link below and burn to a dvdr. Don't try to change the file type. It is about 2.5GB and will take several hours to download.

http://file2upload.net/download/2613...TS_THX.iso.htm

This disc contains a bunch of George Lucas scenes including the Star Wars POD race in DTS or DD.

Also has tons of THX intros, as well as DTS and DD. My favorite is the THX Cascade intro. The bass pushes so much air that everything in my room quivers - and I don't mean rattle.

Most of you will find this disc very useful.
Old December 9th, 2009, 7:06 AM

szeh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBox View Post
Download the .iso image file located at the link below and burn to a dvdr. Don't try to change the file type. It is about 2.5GB and will take several hours to download.

http://file2upload.net/download/2613...TS_THX.iso.htm

This disc contains a bunch of George Lucas scenes including the Star Wars POD race in DTS or DD.

Also has tons of THX intros, as well as DTS and DD. My favorite is the THX Cascade intro. The bass pushes so much air that everything in my room quivers - and I don't mean rattle.

Most of you will find this disc very useful.
SkyBox...thanks for the info. I downloaded the file the other day and night. You're right, it took several hours to download and then I need to download a DVD burner software that would handle a .iso file. So far I listened to about 5 minutes of it before my wife told me to turn it down, or off. Actually that's a good thing because it proves that the DVD kicks a$$ on my HT system! Can't wait till she goes shopping so I can hear the entire disk!!!

Scott
2-HSU STF2...Subs
Yamaha RX-V663...Receiver
Harmony One...Remote
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray
Samsung 56" HL-S5687W
APC H15 Power Conditioner
Old December 10th, 2009, 8:36 AM

The_Nephilim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones4841 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
I have this on order. Four pipe organs going at the same time in multichannel SACD. Should be a real treat. I will report back when it comes in

I would say this is more of a Multichannel treat but has some nice low end in it in parts
Old December 10th, 2009, 9:03 AM

PolkSRS1.2 is on a distinguished road
Can some explain how to use the file once it's downloaded. Mine came zipped and contained two dir's with a bunch of files.
Old December 10th, 2009, 9:16 AM

szeh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkSRS1.2 View Post
Can some explain how to use the file once it's downloaded. Mine came zipped and contained two dir's with a bunch of files.
If you're talking about the THX file I'm not sure what happend. Just follow the link...be sure to type in the input code at towards the top of the page and then click for the download. I took over night to download the file.

It should be jist one .iso file.
2-HSU STF2...Subs
Yamaha RX-V663...Receiver
Harmony One...Remote
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray
Samsung 56" HL-S5687W
APC H15 Power Conditioner
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

cacihome is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The bass is good as htg said.
I agree with you Pete...The movie, when compared to the others, is not an upgrade...
Old December 10th, 2009, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim View Post
I would say this is more of a Multichannel treat but has some nice low end in it in parts
Still don't have it. They cannot find it for the price advertised. Used ones fetch $100+. Guess i will do without.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM

The_Nephilim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkSRS1.2 View Post

It is an .ISO File you just need to Burn the Image with nero or IMGBURN..

I found a Fireworks, Train and Saturn V launch demo CD that sounds really cool.

If you can Find a Copy of "Whoomp There it is" By Tag Team or "Who am I" by Beenie man they are some good Sub Demo Music.

Van Halen has 2 Good ones "1984" and "Sunday Afternoon in the Park"..

Last edited by The_Nephilim : December 17th, 2009 at 4:21 PM.
Old December 14th, 2009, 9:12 PM

I haven't tried it yet (downloading) but instead of burning the image to a disc you should be able to use daemon tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads) or PowerIso to 'mount' the image (.iso) on a virtual drive. Once you have one of these pieces of software just choose "mount image to drive [X:]" then you can explore them using "My Computer" and finding the drive icon just like you would if you had the disc in a real drive. Hopefully this helps!
Old December 15th, 2009, 8:35 PM

Peregrine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you want to give your subs a workout, check out a CD called "Anatomy" by Calyx and Teebee. It is Drum'n'bass so it won't be everyone's cop of tea, but it will definitely use your subs, and not gently. Using a Hsu sub for most music is like driving to the grocery store in a Corvette, but "Anatomy" is like driving that vette on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "No turning back" is another great subwoofer workout from Calyx, well worth checking out. My ULS dual drive eats those pounding beats and throbbing basslines where a lesser sub would beg for mercy, at least at the volumes I am accustomed too.
Hey shadyJ! I just got a VTF3 MK3 and the first night I got it about a week ago one of the best tracks we listened to was Amit's 'Village Folk' off his album Never Ending. It has some really nice low notes in it. Good to see someone else likin the dnb!

And hello everyone! This is my first post here! I am proud to be a HSU sub owner! I am notChris over on avsforum.com .

Last edited by Peregrine : December 15th, 2009 at 8:47 PM.
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM

Yeah, D'n'B is delicious candy for a good subwoofer. Same with dubstep. I must have between 100 to 200 gigabytes worth of D'n'B, jungle, hardcore breakbeat, and dubstep mixes on this computer. I eat this stuff up.

If you guys want to know what I am talking about, here is a link to a brutal subwoofer workout I found recently. Most subs would beg for mercy after a few minutes of this beatdown, but my Hsu's beg for more. This is the stuff VTF's truly crave.
Old December 18th, 2009, 4:34 AM

Thanks - I will definitely check out DnB and Dubstep.

My all time favorite is DJ Magic Mike.

This is OLD school DJ Magic Mike and I guarantee most have NEVER heard bass like this. I warn you though, gradually increase your bass level. Not responsible for any blown subs. This material has been known to bust car hatchback windows!

Listen to the songs all the way through - you don't have to like the song, just the bass. Some don't get to the heavy bass lines until the middle of the song.

Download below - This stuff POUNDS!!

Drop Bass:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/6997120013afaefd/

Lower the Dynamite
http://www.zshare.net/audio/7001694042ccaa9a/

How Low Can You GO:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/69981051f5bbfa92/
Old December 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Wow that Drop Bass tune really punches low! My ULS's are digging it! Thanks for the links!
Old May 5th, 2010, 8:16 AM

OneForWoody is on a distinguished road
^^ Too funny, bzmanbass!

I listened to Bob Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" CD last night for maybe the tenth time since I got my system together. The album never sounded this good with any of my other stereo systems.

Another great disc is the "Earth to Atlanta" 2-DVD by Widespread Panic. On a few songs the band had a 6-piece string section (4 violins 2 cello's) that sounds so dynamic you'd think they were playing in your own living room. The louder I played it the better it sounded. The drums, percussion and bass had the subwoofer working hard. The VTF-1 performed flawlessly in every section. Every single pluck, slap, beat, strum, etc. sound from each instrument the band has to offer is clean, powerful and aggressive.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR507 ... Speakers: Klipsch RB-35 Main, Klipsch RC-10 Center, Klipsch S-1 Surround ... Sub: Hsu VTF-1
Old May 5th, 2010, 1:41 PM

OU812 is on a distinguished road
My favorite demo material

1) Still to this day - The Haunting (DTS) "creaking pipes" chapter.
2) War of the Worlds (DTS) - Lightning strikes and Tripod emeging from underground scenes.
3) Finding Nemo - The submarine sliding down the cayon and hitting the mountain. That hits both hard and low!

Music:

Dream Theater "The Score" DVD - especially during the "Razor's Edge" part of Octavarium when the Orchestra kicks back in. I get goosebumps every time I hear this part.
Old May 5th, 2010, 5:45 PM

bzmanbass is on a distinguished road
Smile The deeper the better

Thanks for compliment Woody-took it off since Pete cleaned things up.
Anyway, Transporter 3 has some good deep bass throughout, be sure to check out the hip hop they run while rolling the credits at the end
Really like the Master & Commander battle scene too!(chptr 4 I think) The DVD DTS is supposed to be hotter than the Bluray version apparently they messed with the ST.