HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM

jeston is on a distinguished road
A couple VTF-15H questions

Hello all. I've been thinking about getting a VTF-15H for a while now and I think the time is getting near. I just have a few questions first.

First off, my room. This will be joining my Klipsch RF-82 II setup in my (very) small bedroom. A diagram is posted below, but the dimensions are roughly 12'x12'x8'. I don't plan on this all being in my bedroom for much longer as I'm looking to move, but they may take longer than I'm hoping. Will this sub still sound good in my tiny room until I am able to eventually move into a larger living room or theater room?

Secondly, I am wondering about placement. My current Sub (as shown in the diagram) is located in the front of the room to the left of the TV and left tower. Will this be a decent place for this sub? With a bit of work, I might be able to place it across the room next to the bed (on the right rear corner of the picture).

Lastly, I am wondering how I should set this up. I have no experience setting up subwoofers to perform at their peak. I don't have any fancy calibrating software or anything like that. Will I really need to adjust much being in this tight of a space, or will one of the pre-made setups work for me? Also, is there a definite answer to what configuration to use with which media? What should I use for action movies, dramas, rock music, classical music, etc?

Thanks for the help!

Old June 13th, 2011, 9:49 AM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hi jeston, welcome to the forum!

Placement of the subwoofer up front is acceptable. Is the front right corner of the room (as viewed from the main listening position on the bed) available by chance?

It is tricky to get a flat in-room response in a square well-enclosed room. You may want to leave the entry door open to try to smooth out the response. And if you can do that, then placement of the subwoofer in the back right corner of the room may actually work quite well. If you have to leave the entry door closed, then place the subwoofer up front.

This subwoofer supports a wide variety of different ported and sealed operating modes, and has adjustable bass response too for any given operating mode. So feel free to play around with that. We give some recommendations in the owner's manual about what settings to start with based on room size and listening levels.

You can use your A/V receiver to adjust crossover, distance, and channel level for the speakers and the subwoofer.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Thank you for the response!

I do have to leave the entry door closed, but I may be able to squeeze the sub in on that side.

Is there anything else I can try to maximize my experience. I just don't want it to sound bad, though it would be pretty tough not to be better than my current sub.
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
With subwoofers you just have to experiment to get them to sound the best to your ears. Remember to run your room correction EQ on your receiver after you have connected the sub (if your receiver has room correction EQing). Play around with placement, crossover levels, sub out levels in the receiver, tuning modes, etc. There is no single "right" way a sub should be run. Just get it to where it sounds best to you. That should be pretty easy with a VTF15H in a small room like that. You will have a blast!
Old June 13th, 2011, 1:49 PM

Awesome, sounds good! Hopefully I'll order within the next couple days. I see it ships via fedex, so should I plan on a 3-5 day shipping time? How about processing time? I'd like to try to narrow my delivery date down to within 1 or 2 specific days if possible.
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Hsu Research

Hi jeston,

What state are you in?

We are in Anaheim, California (zipcode 92806). Shipping to the west coast takes ~ 2-3 business days, shipping to the midwest takes ~ 3-4 business days, and shipping to the east coast takes ~ 4-5 business days. You can even go to fedex.com and get estimated transit times.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:28 AM

I'm just right here in NM, most things I get shipped come in about 3 days from just about anywhere. The Fedex site estimates 2 days, but I'm willing to bet it will take 3.

Thanks again for the help, Pete! I'll be getting my order in ASAP!
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hsu Research

Thanks so much Jeston! I agree that the package should arrive within ~ 2-3 business days.

Sincerely,
Old December 24th, 2011, 7:53 AM

davehale is on a distinguished road
vtf-15 vs. uls-15

Have these 2 sub differences been compared to each other? If so please direct me to the thread.
I like the esthetics of the vtf-15 but not at the expense of the sound.
Since I have a fair size family room 18X21 which opens further into the 10X10 kitchen and even more hallway and dining room, the sub will have to be placed somewhere near or behind me (a brick wall). Will either one be better than the other?

Dave
Old December 24th, 2011, 8:21 AM

davehale is on a distinguished road
VTF-15 vs. VTF-3 MK-4

Sorry for the above post. I meant the comparison of the VTF-15H and the VTF-3 MK-4

Dave
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Hsu Research

Hi Dave,

Both of those subs are excellent for filling large spaces. The VTF-3 MK4 has the same feature set, lower price, and smaller enclosure, with just a bit less max output capability compared to the 15H. The -3 MK4 is currently in stock in both Satin Black and Rosenut finish.

Sincerely,
Old February 17th, 2012, 4:10 PM

Sepen is on a distinguished road
If you put that monster in that size room you will lose the ceiling, heck, the windows may even pop out . Remember the old days with those cheesy quarter operated vibrating beds? You won't need the quarters for that effect. My room is three times the size and then some and one is more than enough. If you want the best bang for the buck that HSU has to offer, the 15H is it. It will pressurize your room like no other.

As far as setting it up, I think that any of the settings will work. To start, I would probably go with one port plugged, EQ1 and a Q of 5. You will have the ride of your life.

The best thing is that you also are buying for the future. i.e moving on from your bedroom setup. Have fun, you won't regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeston View Post
Hello all. I've been thinking about getting a VTF-15H for a while now and I think the time is getting near. I just have a few questions first.

First off, my room. This will be joining my Klipsch RF-82 II setup in my (very) small bedroom. A diagram is posted below, but the dimensions are roughly 12'x12'x8'. I don't plan on this all being in my bedroom for much longer as I'm looking to move, but they may take longer than I'm hoping. Will this sub still sound good in my tiny room until I am able to eventually move into a larger living room or theater room?

Secondly, I am wondering about placement. My current Sub (as shown in the diagram) is located in the front of the room to the left of the TV and left tower. Will this be a decent place for this sub? With a bit of work, I might be able to place it across the room next to the bed (on the right rear corner of the picture).

Lastly, I am wondering how I should set this up. I have no experience setting up subwoofers to perform at their peak. I don't have any fancy calibrating software or anything like that. Will I really need to adjust much being in this tight of a space, or will one of the pre-made setups work for me? Also, is there a definite answer to what configuration to use with which media? What should I use for action movies, dramas, rock music, classical music, etc?

Thanks for the help!

Old February 23rd, 2012, 2:20 PM

moparz10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post
If you put that monster in that size room you will lose the ceiling, heck, the windows may even pop out .
monster is right,i have slightly longer room using a vtf3 mk4 and it's kinda scary at times depending on the movie, and content thrown at it

Last edited by moparz10 : February 23rd, 2012 at 2:22 PM. Reason: spelling