HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 30th, 2011, 4:15 PM

MolekIX is on a distinguished road
HB-1 MK2s without a subwoofer?

Hi. I'm living in a small college-campus apartment and considering setting up a stereo system with 2 bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer, for music only (no home theater). My optimal setup right now would be 2 HB-1 MK2s and the STF-1 sub. However, I'm on an extremely tight budget and can't afford both at once. So my options are either A) Buy the HB-1s now, and then add in the STF-1 later, probably around a year from now... B) Buy the STF-1 now and settle with some cheaper bookshelfs (perhaps the Behringer 2031p's, can be found for ~$170 per pair)... or C) Buy the HB-1s now and settle with a cheaper sub. However it must sound good with music, and that's hard to find in a <$200 sub.

So my question is... how well do the HB-1 MK2s fare without a subwoofer? Will I be happy using them for a year without a sub, or will I be more satisfied with one of the other two options? For reference, I listen to a wide variety of music, including Shpongle, Tim Hecker, Queen, Bassnectar, and varied orchestral music.

Thanks,
Zach
Old May 1st, 2011, 1:00 AM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
The HB-1's do pretty well without a sub, fairly strong bass down to 60 hz is what I found from running test tones, and usable bass below that. That is very good for bookshelf speakers. I can and have run them without a sub and they sounded good. Incidentally, I also have the Behringer 2031p, also another very good speaker. They have very good bass too, as well they should with 8.75" woofers! They are very inexpensive and sound great, but the disadvantages of those speakers are they are very large and heavy (25 lbs each!) for bookshelf speakers, and are 4 ohm speakers, which means you probably don't want to run them on a entry level receiver. Make sure whatever receiver you would intend to use them on is rated for 4 ohm speakers!

I guess if I were in your situation, I would go for the Behringer speakers and STF1 sub, but only if your receiver is rated to handle 4 ohm speakers. If you are seated some distance away from the speakers, it might be worth going with the HB-1s since they are made to handle large rooms, as opposed to the Behringers, which are meant for near-field listening. Whatever you choose, you'll end up with a nice sounding system, so there is no bad choice that I see.
Old May 1st, 2011, 5:18 PM

monkuboy is on a distinguished road
I have no experience with the Behringer speakers but I can tell you the Hsu bookshelves are very good. They are also very easy to drive with pretty much any receiver or amp.

Personally I think they need a subwoofer but for a two-channel music application that is not as critical - they do have decent bass but in the lower ranges it will not have that chest-thumping feeling (although in your setting maybe you can't play it that loud anyway). My two cents would be to get the Hsu HB-1 Mk 2's and then save up for a decent sub, like the STF-1. That sub should be good for an apartment setting. The HB-1's are really nice speakers.
Old May 1st, 2011, 5:41 PM

Alright, thanks for the quick reply guys. shadyJ good point about the 4ohms on the Behringers, I didn't notice that. As of now I think it will depend on what receiver I decide on. If I get a good deal on a 4ohm receiver I may go with the Behringers, otherwise I'll go with the HB-1s.
Old May 1st, 2011, 6:18 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hi Zach,

We've had many people tell us that the HB-1 MK2 sound great when running full range, and have surprisingly good bass too. So for a music system they should work nicely. Just try not to feed very low frequencies at very high levels to the speakers when they are running full range.

Sincerely,
Old May 2nd, 2011, 8:20 AM

stsand is on a distinguished road
MolekIX, sent you a PM.
Old June 20th, 2011, 1:26 AM

Just a follow-up for anyone who is interested in how it worked out. I went ahead and bought 2 HB-1s and am running them full range. They sound great, and as everyone said they have good bass for bookshelf speakers. However there is an emphasis on the "for bookshelf speakers". For most music (rock, etc.) there is plenty of bass. However, for some types of music (electronic stuff, mostly) the bass is inadequate, not because it's not loud enough, but because you lose more with the 60Hz cutoff than you'd expect. However, that said, the speakers sound so damn good in general that I'm glad I went this route, because when I do get that sub woofer, the system will sound amazing. For $300/pair, these are a steal. Thanks, HSU.
Old July 7th, 2011, 3:09 PM

Bsimmons1234 is on a distinguished road
I read your original post but couldn't really reply as I didn't feel I had enough listening time on the HB-1 MKII to make a quality comment.

To be honest, I haven't listened to a lot of bookshelves but to me I am more than satisfied of the HB-1 bass reproduction. Of course most of the bookshelves I have listened to have had 4" or 5.25" woofers so I have been more than happy with the 6" in these.

I too am running them full range and agree they sound fantastic. Great imaging, sound stage depth is good (but my listening environment doesn't lend itself to great depth), good female vocal reproduction, punchy bass. Upper bass (mid-bass) might be a bit recessed. This is somewhat hard to tell now. I listened to them quite a bit when new alone (also not broken in) now I listen to them with a sub so it it is harder to detect.

I read your post and got some Shongle. Interesting but not really my cup of tea. Neither is Infected Mushroom for that matter. Shongle with a sub adds a ton though.
Old October 28th, 2011, 9:37 AM

There's probably nobody viewing this anymore, but I'll add another followup just for the heck of it. A few months ago I moved the speakers into a near-field setup, and they sound fantastic this way as well. Used in near-field the bass is just about perfect for a small apartment bedroom... sounds great to me and doesn't bother the neighbors too much.
Old October 28th, 2011, 3:00 PM
Hsu Research

Hi Zach,

I have heard from quite a few people who have tried the HB-1 MK2 nearfield, and it does appear to work very well as a nearfield monitor. So well done

Sincerely,
Old February 2nd, 2012, 3:37 PM

Near Field Listening

By the way, I should mention most of my listening is near field. By that I mean anywhere between 1-3 feet from the HB-1 MKIIs. I am a hobbyist woodworkers and they are on my work bench on stands with the tweeter just below ear level.

They are about 5 feet apart, so for bench work they are pointed far behind me. Then I step back 6-10 feet into the sweet spot.

I've noticed the best sound when I step back and can see far rear corners of both speakers just beyond the side surface meaning they are pointed slightly (1'?) in front of me. That's when they seem to come alive with the best imaging.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 3:30 PM

High Pass filter

OK, I just saw HSU offers this and didn't see it before.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/...ss-filter.html

I've been worried that other passive/active high pass filters will deteriorate the the excellent sound quality, intimacy of female vocals, snap, micro-dynamics, tight guitars, great mid bass, huge sound staging etc. of the HB-1 MKIIs can deliver.

Note the the HB-1 MKIIs really don't need a high pass filter (IMO) with music at high SLPs with even with rap/bass etc. They may need it at high SPLs on HDTV movie content though.

So the question for you Pete is, will the HSU high pass filter degrade the musical sound stage/sound attributes you are known for on music at low/medium/high SPL levels?

1) Who cares about real sound accuracy when watching a block-buster action movies, we just want BASS, some sound staging and to protect our F/R/C speakers from over excursion or blowing.
2) Will the high pass cross over here give us the musical transparency audiophiles demand and you are known for when listening to music?

Bottom line: In your opinion, does the high pass filter you offer degrade the musicality of the HB-1 MKii or not?
Old February 8th, 2012, 3:58 PM
Hsu Research

Hi Bsimmons,

In my opinion, use of a high pass filter should not degrade the sound quality of the HB-1 MK2. In fact, by relieving the HB-1's of deep bass duties, there should be lower distortion, wider dynamic range, and better clarify from these speakers. So it's certainly worth trying.

Sincerely,