HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 14th, 2011, 7:24 AM

LazyMarc11 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Vtf-1 Bottom Out

Hey guy's,
been awhile since i posted here. Will i'm a bit concern now and it's kinda my fault!.
I was watching avatar last night with the family on blu ray in dts-hd.
The sub woofer vtf-1 10" handle it pretty well through out the film,at the end of the credits i was hearing the famous thx sound logo the lates one they have out,and so i was in the kitchen and someone yelled at me and said get over here marc quick!. So i ran in the movie room and when the drums were hitting hard my sub was making a loud fart noise almost like it was bottoming out. I didn't get to turn off quick enough but the port plug came when the deep bass notes was going off!. .

Okay enough with that,did i ruin my sub woofer?
Has anyone else have this issue with the thx logo sound?
Old December 14th, 2011, 10:31 AM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
lol farting noises means that it is port chuffing, not bottoming out. Bottoming out sounds like clanking, almost like a hammer hitting a metal surface. Port chuffing doesn't sound good, but it won't hurt your subwoofer. Bottoming out the sub, on the other hand, can destroy the driver.
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the reply,i was a bit scared. But that was sure loud,i wasn't even push the sub that hard either. The sw controller is set 74db and gain was set just a tad above 10 o clock. May be it's time for me to upgrade to bigger sub? hehe
Old December 14th, 2011, 3:29 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Make sure that if you are running the sub in Max Extension Mode the port plug is in. If you have the sub in extension mode with the port plug out, the sub will be much easier to bottom out. In any other configuration though,the sub should be difficult to bottom out. If you really want to guard against bottoming out, have the port plug in, but set the sub to Max Output Mode, this will over-damp the sub and insure it will absolutely not bottom out.
Old December 15th, 2011, 4:33 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Marc, what settings do you have on the back of the VTF amplifier with respect to volume knob, bass extension switch, and crossover switch? Try setting the bass extension switch in the down position.

Thanks
Old December 16th, 2011, 2:20 PM

Thanks guy's.
Just for your info i turn on the sub today and it seems to be working a okay. Phew.
Settings: I have the sub set to cross over out,1 port plug in to the left port and switch to 1 port for 25 hz. Receiver x over 80 hz,speakers set to small.
Old December 16th, 2011, 2:47 PM
Hsu Research

Marc, try setting the bass extension switch in the down position (keeping all else the same, with one port still physically plugged on the back of the unit)...
Old December 27th, 2011, 2:21 PM

Hi thanks i did try it,max out put but don't like how it sounds .
Here's a update. Ever since that loud port noise we heard,the sub is hardly putting out bass, you can hear it but barely. So then this weekend i pop in bass test cd and play a test tone at 50 hz it's putting 78 db on my meter according to my room response. @pete if i do decide to bring it in and i don't live to far from you guy's maybe 30 minutes away possible have it check? and if there is some thing wrong with the plate amp how much would cost to fix it?.

I may need a dr check for my sub. I still blame it on avatar

-Marc
Old December 28th, 2011, 6:42 PM
Hsu Research

Sure Marc, you are welcome to bring the unit in, but I do suggest calling one day in advance.

Thanks
Old January 17th, 2012, 6:10 AM

TimmyD is on a distinguished road
Any updates on what happened to the sub?
Emotiva XPA-5
Lenco L75 w/Ortofon 2M Red Cartidge
Rolls Bellari VP130 w/EH 12ax7 Tube

B&W (683-Mains HTM61-Center & 685-Surrounds)
HSU VTF-15H
HSU MBM-12 MK2
Earthquake Sound "Buttkicker"
Roku2 XD
APC-C5 Filter