HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:26 AM

JewDaddy is on a distinguished road
Need help with my VTF-2 MK-3

Hey Guys, I have a question about the bass output from my sub with my current speaker and receiver setup. I have the Onkyo TX-NR-808 Receiver, one HSU Research VTF-2 MK-3 Subwoofer, four of the Hsu research bookshelf speakers and one Aperion Audio Intimus 6C center channel. Let me just say that the subwoofer can rattle my house like nobodys business. Heres my question, when im watching blu-ray movies, especially one with alot of
Bass, it doesnt seem like my settings are allowing my subwoofer to take the bass when it needs to. I watched the newest Rambo last night and there were some pretty big explosions that never even went through to my sub. Not sure whats up with that.

I have Audyssey setup which auto configured everything. I went into my settings and manually changed a couple things. My speakers are set at 80hz crossover, speaker impedance is 6ohms, and my LPF of LFE is set at 120hz. On my subwoofer itself, i have the crossover set to let my receiver handle it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. When the bass kicks in on the sub, its amazing, i just dont feel like it happens enough, especially when i can tell it should. It seems like my speakers are trying to take most of the bass load as opposed to letting the subwoofer handle it. Any help or suggestions would he appreciated. Thanks
Old January 23rd, 2012, 3:59 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hi JewDaddy,

Your A/V receiver settings and subwoofer settings seem fine. Have you tried increasing the subwoofer channel level on your A/V receiver by two or three dB with some of these action movies to get more bass punch?

What are your room dimensions (HxWxD, including openings to other areas), and where are you sitting relative to subwoofer and relative to front/side/back walls?

If you can get your hands on a sound level meter and some test tones, then that would be helpful too in getting the subwoofer level and phase matched with the main speakers.

Thanks

Sincerely,