HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Mode do you prefer with your VTF-3 MKII?
Max Extension for Low Frequency 52 82.54%
Max Output for SPL 11 17.46%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 29th, 2006, 10:16 AM

95 Silver TA is on a distinguished road
Max Ext or Max Output

Which Mode do you prefer and why?
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:31 AM

jay005 is on a distinguished road
Talking

I use the VTF-3 MKII in Max ext. mode to get those really low frequencies. We have a smaller room (12' x 16') with the gain already set near the lowest setting. Definitely do not need any more output, this sub sounds great in Max ext. with all types of music and shakes the house with no problems on movies like War of the Worlds.

Thx, Jay
Old June 30th, 2006, 9:19 PM

DNelms is on a distinguished road
max extention offers me the best of both worlds

The VTF-II is such a great sub and has so much headroom I have mine set for Max extention for the times when I want to listen to some bottom trolling pipe organ tunes. I have noticed no problems on movies.And with the volume only set at about the 9 o'clock position, how could anyone want more output?
Old July 1st, 2006, 7:13 AM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
I kind of have the best of both worlds. VTF-3 MK2(max ext) + HO turbo. The turbo adds 3dB so I get back some of the SPL lost by using max ext vs. max output.

Old July 1st, 2006, 1:17 PM

Kelly is on a distinguished road
My SPL meter likes the max ext mode best. It's easier to get flat response in my room and a good blend to the mains. My ears prefer the max output mode.
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM

cyberbri is on a distinguished road
Max extension. But with the sub about 8' away, I can hear air rushing through the single port at high master volume levels during certain scenes. It must be at about 18-20Hz, because I can hear that same air rush sound when I run test tones at those frequencies.
Old July 11th, 2006, 3:27 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Most of our customers do seem to prefer extended bass mode, probably because they prefer the significantly lower extension (and associated benefits of lower port tuning) while accepting the tradeoff of lower maximum output and higher port turbulence-related noise.

That said, with use of a turbocharger, I would suspect that most of the people who use the VTF-3 in maximum output mode would actually prefer extended bass mode since port turbulence-related noise would be very minimal even when approaching maximum output levels. Now it is up to us to provide these units to consumers, although I am sorry to say that there is still some waiting to be done (but hopefully not too much longer).
Old October 31st, 2006, 8:00 AM

joeongaro is on a distinguished road
I run mine in max extension mode and have never heard port turbulence. I did have a sheet over it while i was working on my fireplace and while watching WOTW one night noticed the sheet flapping in the wind. You can definitely feel the air coming out of the ports but no noise yet. Maybe I'm afraid of really cranking up my HO as I can't imagine how much you would have to do so to hear port noise. Call me crazy, but isn't the rest of your system extremely loud which would make it hard to hear port noise?
Old October 31st, 2006, 9:32 AM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
Also max ext. here. Never had any issues with headroom or port noise.
Old October 31st, 2006, 4:56 PM

Kjohn is on a distinguished road
Max ext. for me too no issues at all.
Old October 31st, 2006, 7:49 PM
Hsu Research

I definitely agree with you gentlemen that turbocharger is not necessary for everyone, especially if they don't push their subwoofers to output levels which would cause port turbulence-related noises. Naturally, the VTF-3 HO can be pushed significantly louder before exhibiting port noise than the VTF-3 Mk2 with both in extended bass mode. Even so, turbocharger does still give a nice boost in the deepest bass at relatively high output levels.

Sincerely,
Old November 4th, 2006, 5:13 AM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
The turbo helped me run my MK2 at higher levels, epecially on WOTW.

Old September 6th, 2009, 4:21 PM

strugs is on a distinguished road
On my VTF3-HO with Turbo, I have been running in max extension since I purchased it in November. I am doing a bit of a revamp of my basement theater and I am going to try running in Max Output mode.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 8:55 AM

elwaylite is on a distinguished road
I graphed all the readings in modes on my VTF2 MK4, just using a Q of 0.7, and EQ2 2 ports open was of course higher in dB (barely) from 30hz-100hz, so Ive been using it. EQ1 1 port open was actually very close to EQ2 2 ports open from 30-100, and of course it was higher at 20 and much higher at 16. EQ 2 1 port open was the worst of the 3 for output.

I had been using EQ2 2 ports since buying it over a month ago, but since Im 100% movies Ive decided to swap over to EQ1 1 Port open for Max Ext. I do not think the 1-2 dB's I lose in 30-100 trumps the 9 dB's I gain at 16

Looking at the charts for 0.7 vs 0.5 vs 0.3, its hard for me to tell what really changes, other than a lowering of dB. I understand, I think, that as you lower Q it seems to tighten up the bass, because if 0.7 feels too boomy 0.5 helps that. 0.3 almost feels to fast, but may would be good for music?
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Hsu Research

Essentially the Q control will make the subwoofer sound either less or more deep bass heavy. At lower Q settings, the sound is less bass heavy in the lowest of frequencies, which helps to accentuate the mid-bass frequencies.

Sincerely,
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM

elwaylite is on a distinguished road
Thanks!
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Hsu Research

You are very welcome!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 9:37 AM

Sputter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
I graphed all the readings in modes on my VTF2 MK4, just using a Q of 0.7, and EQ2 2 ports open was of course higher in dB (barely) from 30hz-100hz, so Ive been using it. EQ1 1 port open was actually very close to EQ2 2 ports open from 30-100, and of course it was higher at 20 and much higher at 16. EQ 2 1 port open was the worst of the 3 for output.

I had been using EQ2 2 ports since buying it over a month ago, but since Im 100% movies Ive decided to swap over to EQ1 1 Port open for Max Ext. I do not think the 1-2 dB's I lose in 30-100 trumps the 9 dB's I gain at 16

Looking at the charts for 0.7 vs 0.5 vs 0.3, its hard for me to tell what really changes, other than a lowering of dB. I understand, I think, that as you lower Q it seems to tighten up the bass, because if 0.7 feels too boomy 0.5 helps that. 0.3 almost feels to fast, but may would be good for music?

The Q setting is quite measurable. I have some Q graphs posted someplace.lol The Q setting is a nice adjustment for users tastes.

I doubt you'd be able to hear any difference in 1-2 dbs, at 3db you would. (in general). Lots of options eh?
Old September 10th, 2012, 9:29 PM

SME is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter View Post
The Q setting is quite measurable. I have some Q graphs posted someplace.lol The Q setting is a nice adjustment for users tastes.

I doubt you'd be able to hear any difference in 1-2 dbs, at 3db you would. (in general). Lots of options eh?
For me, the loudness change with Q only seems to matter with the lowest of bass frequencies (teens and low 20s of Hz). For material having very low bass, I adjust Q up until I'm satisfied with the balance between volume and tightness. I personally have never adjusted the Q down to make mid bass louder.

On the other hand, the effect of Q on bass tightness is very apparent to me when listening to music. It is especially pronounced with certain types of music. For example, kick drums sound weird with Q too high. The most extreme cases where Q matters in my experience is with the guitar duo Rodrigo y Gabriella. They play something across between heavy metal and Spanish flamenco on acoustic guitars plugged into massive amps! They beat and slap their guitars for percussion. The incredible thumps that emanate from their music sound totally wrong with Q > 0.3. I'd like to some day hear the music with an MBM!