HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2012, 5:16 PM

rwjr is on a distinguished road
Fake VTF-15H quad subs!!!

I got an extra set of grilles from Pete in June. Then got too busy to finish until now!!
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2012, 5:16 PM

It all started when I decided to get a second sub, but didn't know what to do with my equipment. The plan was devised early on, but I only built the pair of racks to straddle the subs. Pete didn't have any grilles so it was a long wait before I even started cutting wood, but he finally came through in June. The problem was, I got too busy to finish until now. Unfortunately, I didn't take pics of everything as I cut it.

Here's a few pics of the progress.
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2012, 5:56 PM

shadyJ is on a distinguished road
Killer setup! Looks brutal as hell, I hope the music you playback on that thing is as hardcore as the speakers look. Those RF-83s? That is a smokin' hot sound system, you are a lucky guy.
Old January 7th, 2012, 6:17 PM

Yes, 83s. Everything is killer, even with a large room open to the entire house. The (real) dual VTFs and the 83s rock, especially with music in the same room. Even more so with movies. 7.2 with the RC-64 and RS-62s. Unfortunately, REW isn't working for me, so I don't have any graphs. I think my RS meter is faulty. I can't get a good signal to REW without setting the meter low (which holds the needle pegged at max). Plus, the meter spikes and acts crazy all the time. I haven't gotten around to getting a calibrated mic or OmniMic.

I have a second pair of 83s in another room that are driven directly from a mixer and amp, so no reference calibration to limit the volume I can attain. Those work for rocking the house. Imaging if I used them as side surrounds and my spare 82s as rears or wides....

Old January 8th, 2012, 3:45 AM

hometheatergeek is on a distinguished road
Fantastic job.

My Current System
My Blu-Ray Collection
Old January 8th, 2012, 2:47 PM

jsgrise is on a distinguished road
Nice job man!

How do you compare running twins vs single? I'm looking to buy a second one if it is a true improvement. Going quad has also crossed my mind...
Old January 8th, 2012, 3:13 PM

The frequency response was (subjectively) noticeably smoother when I paired up. My right sub isn't in a sweet spot, so it's not as "good" as it could be, but I love the appearance.
Old January 8th, 2012, 4:53 PM

jsgrise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjr View Post
The frequency response was (subjectively) noticeably smoother when I paired up. My right sub isn't in a sweet spot, so it's not as "good" as it could be, but I love the appearance.
what about output?
Old January 8th, 2012, 6:14 PM

I didn't get so much of an increase in output because they aren't co-located. It seems like more output because the response is better, but reference is still reference.

I have thought about co-locating and making one larger door out of these 2. It'd be easy enough to add shelves and have all my gear together again. The only reason I haven't is because I don't feel particularly good about stacking one sub on the other. I guess I could use a friction pad.....
Old January 8th, 2012, 9:29 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Wow, looks incredible, congrats on completing this amazing project!!!
Old January 9th, 2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post
Wow, looks incredible, congrats on completing this amazing project!!!
Thanks!

I really appreciate the positive response. As the project progressed, I worried more and more about how it would turn out. Even when I painted them, I was still unsure about the effect. It was after I got the felt stapled to the back side of the "ports" that they REALLY became what I envisioned.
Old January 18th, 2012, 3:44 PM

TimmyD is on a distinguished road
Wow RWJR that is impressive to say the least! Im very much a DIYer & am always coming up with cool ideas & ways to accomplish what i want. I have a single VTF-15h & an MBM-12. Id love to down the line get one more of each to run dual 15Hs & dual MBMs. I would either stack them in the corner or flank my rack as you have done.

Its seems fairly easy for you to stack your 2 15Hs & move one of the "doors" onto the other rack below the other "door". I wouldnt worry at all about stacking them. Just use some soft cloth from a fabric store to keep the two from scratching eachother!

I used to have dual 12" subs that i had flanking my rack. It wasnt until i stacked them (co-located) in the front corner that i really got an improvement in output. Having them seperated did smooth out the room response but its normally just my wife & i or a friend & i that will sit down for a flick. So i am mainly concerned with getting the best response i can at my main listening spot. Co-locating them gave me the improvement i was looking for.

That was actually the reason i sold them & bought the VTF-15H. I figured if i was gonna have dual 12"s stacked then i might as well get a single 15" in that corner since that spot gives me the best bass. With all the options on the 15H i am able to taylor the bass to my room, do a little EQ to bring down some peaks in my Yamaha & get a nice flat response!! So worth the work of getting it there!!

Well your system looks great & im sure it sounds just as good as it looks! Very cool!
Emotiva XPA-5
Lenco L75 w/Ortofon 2M Red Cartidge
Rolls Bellari VP130 w/EH 12ax7 Tube

B&W (683-Mains HTM61-Center & 685-Surrounds)
HSU VTF-15H
HSU MBM-12 MK2
Earthquake Sound "Buttkicker"
Roku2 XD
APC-C5 Filter