HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:55 AM

thejsm is on a distinguished road
Problem with HB-1 MK2 Bookshelf speaker

Hello all, first time joiner and this is regarding my first order of HSU speakers. Let me first start off with saying I love the sound and clarity of my the new speakers despite the problem I am having.

I ordered two matching bookshelves with the hc-1 center and they sound fantastic.

Now on to the issue.

One of the new bookshelf speakers is having a problem with distortion. I will try to describe it as best I can here, but it is definitely a difficult sound to describe.

When I first was playing lower slow tones out of the new speakers, it sounded like a faint popping sound. Up close it almost sounded like air escaping from the side of the driver mount points. I very carefully removed the 4 screws from the driver, took a look inside for obvious artifacts/wires and saw nothing I could clearly attribute to the noise. I then remounted the driver and applied slightly more torque to the screws then they came with.
(Side Note: the screws definitely seemed unevenly torqued and were actually slightly loose, just my subjective opinion)

Upon giving them a very SLIGHT amount of torque, the noise had a definite decrease in audibility but is very much still apparent; especially when played anywhere loudly.

The best way I can describe the new noise characteristics after making the changes is the sound of a strong electrical current. It's very obvious when up close.

Usually, I wouldnt be so overcritical about something like this. As I've had the speaker's for 2 days and they came brand new; I'd really like some input as to how I may be able to correct this or get a replacement for the defective spaker.

Thanks all and Dr HSU for making a fantastic speaker
Old January 21st, 2012, 2:13 PM

TimmyD is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your problem. I would contact Pete directly first thing monday. HSU has top notch customer service. If the speaker came damagedthe. They will replace it im sure. Just dont do anything else to the speaker. You dont want to void any warranty. You should say you were joking around about removing the driver!!

Nice choice on speakers. I have sat with Pete & listened to the HB-1MK2 a few times (3-4) & each time im amazed at how great they sound. I actually like how they use entry level equipment to run the speakers in their demo room. It shows how good the HB-1 sounds with the type of gear that will be driving them in most customers homes.

Most of the time you go to a shop to have a listen & the speakers are hooked up to highend gear. Then i wonder if it would sound as good with my equipment. For instance i went & listened to the GoldenEar TritonII towers not long ago. They were hooked up to some beautiful Class'e amps/prepro. No doubt they were fantastic at the $2500 price. But i couldnt help wonder how theyd sound on my Yamaha RX-A2000/Emotiva XPA-5 combo. Maybe just as good, maybe not. I just felt the equipment outclassed the speakers. Id prefer to have manufacturers pair their speakers with equipment in the same price range to give the listener a more realistic experience, thats all.

Anyways...i hope you get this issue resolved soon!! Im sure you wont have any problems getting what you need.
Emotiva XPA-5
Lenco L75 w/Ortofon 2M Red Cartidge
Rolls Bellari VP130 w/EH 12ax7 Tube

B&W (683-Mains HTM61-Center & 685-Surrounds)
HSU VTF-15H
HSU MBM-12 MK2
Earthquake Sound "Buttkicker"
Roku2 XD
APC-C5 Filter
Old January 21st, 2012, 3:53 PM

thejsm is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input, I'm sure they will take care of what's wrong with the speaker? I'm not sure what you meant about say you were joking about the driver though. I simply unscrewed the four screws for the speaker and made sure there was. Othing bouncing around in there? Am I using improper terminology?
Old January 21st, 2012, 7:09 PM

TimmyD is on a distinguished road
Sometimes if a company knows youve tampered with the speaker, such as removing the driver, they can give you a hard time about it. So you dont want to say too much about you doing that. So i was joking around that you should say that you were messing about removing the driver thats all. Im sure your fine.
Emotiva XPA-5
Lenco L75 w/Ortofon 2M Red Cartidge
Rolls Bellari VP130 w/EH 12ax7 Tube

B&W (683-Mains HTM61-Center & 685-Surrounds)
HSU VTF-15H
HSU MBM-12 MK2
Earthquake Sound "Buttkicker"
Roku2 XD
APC-C5 Filter
Old January 22nd, 2012, 5:55 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hi thejsm,

Feel free to send an email to techsupport<at>hsuresearch<dot>com, and we will go through some troubleshooting steps via email.

Thanks!

Sincerely,