HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:14 AM
subpressure subpressure is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 10
subpressure is on a distinguished road
Subwoofer placement (ear pressure)

I purchased a VTF2 MK4, and have been playing around with placement.

I ran audessey with one port open, Q = 0.7, EQ = 1. Afterwards, I closed the port, set Q = 0.3 and EQ = 1. After audessey, the volume (on the knob to get 75dB through Audessey) is set somewhere between the min and 9 o'clock position)

I have an open room, and placed the sub next to the couch (as was recommended in the instructions). Location X. I watched TV, at a fairly low volume for about an hour, and I could feel pressure in my left ear. The subwoofer is literally about 6" from the couch and about 1' from the listening position. (the speakers are on the walls and next to the TV, not in the diagram)


I moved the sub around, found a different location (but it's not great aesthetically, location Y). I tried position Y, but it protruded into the nearby room (I had to increase the volume by hand, I didn't re-run audessey) but I couldn't tell if there was pressure or not... (I didn't test it there long enough)

The listening area/TV area in the living room is 11ft by 15ft. The overall living room is 11ft by 23ft. (the drawing is not to scale)


It's not the loudness of the sub that's bothering me, it's the pressure my ears feel sitting next to it.

Any advice? Is it my settings on the subwoofer? Or is it placement?
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 30th, 2012, 2:24 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by subpressure View Post
I purchased a VTF2 MK4, and have been playing around with placement.

I ran audessey with one port open, Q = 0.7, EQ = 1. Afterwards, I closed the port, set Q = 0.3 and EQ = 1. After audessey, the volume (on the knob to get 75dB through Audessey) is set somewhere between the min and 9 o'clock position)

I have an open room, and placed the sub next to the couch (as was recommended in the instructions). Location X. I watched TV, at a fairly low volume for about an hour, and I could feel pressure in my left ear. The subwoofer is literally about 6" from the couch and about 1' from the listening position. (the speakers are on the walls and next to the TV, not in the diagram)


I moved the sub around, found a different location (but it's not great aesthetically, location Y). I tried position Y, but it protruded into the nearby room (I had to increase the volume by hand, I didn't re-run audessey) but I couldn't tell if there was pressure or not... (I didn't test it there long enough)

The listening area/TV area in the living room is 11ft by 15ft. The overall living room is 11ft by 23ft. (the drawing is not to scale)


It's not the loudness of the sub that's bothering me, it's the pressure my ears feel sitting next to it.

Any advice? Is it my settings on the subwoofer? Or is it placement?
We suggests taking both port plugs out, EQ2 and Q=0.3 after Audyssey tuning, not put back the port plug. If the sub next to you bothers you, try placing it on the other end of the sofa.

How deep (front to back) is the room at the 'dining area' section? Can you sketch the whole area including the dining area and the area to the right side that the Sub Y position protrude into?

This 'pressure' you experience - does it happen only on program with very low bass? Usually very low bass (30 Hz or below) gives a sensation of 'pressure' on your ears.

Remember to re-run Audyssey with the sub in the new location. Also remember to set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7 before re-running Audyssey, and set it back to two ports open, EQ2, Q=0.3 after that.

What is the sub out level on the receiver after Audyssey tuning? If it's too low (e.g. - 13 dB), then you want to lower the volume on the subwoofer and re-run Audyssey so the sub out on the receiver is around 0 dB, +/- 5 dB.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 30th, 2012, 6:52 PM
subpressure subpressure is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 10
subpressure is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
We suggests taking both port plugs out, EQ2 and Q=0.3 after Audyssey tuning, not put back the port plug.
Done, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
If the sub next to you bothers you, try placing it on the other end of the sofa.
I can try over the weekend (I need to move the whole sofa to put it on the other side, there's other furniture there now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
How deep (front to back) is the room at the 'dining area' section? Can you sketch the whole area including the dining area and the area to the right side that the Sub Y position protrude into?
I attached the floor plan. X is where I feel pressure, Y is where it's not aesthetically pleasing (but may work) and Z is where I believe your recommendation is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
This 'pressure' you experience - does it happen only on program with very low bass? Usually very low bass (30 Hz or below) gives a sensation of 'pressure' on your ears.
I'm not sure... I was just watching regular primetime TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
Remember to re-run Audyssey with the sub in the new location. Also remember to set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7 before re-running Audyssey, and set it back to two ports open, EQ2, Q=0.3 after that.

What is the sub out level on the receiver after Audyssey tuning? If it's too low (e.g. - 13 dB), then you want to lower the volume on the subwoofer and re-run Audyssey so the sub out on the receiver is around 0 dB, +/- 5 dB.
Yesterday it was at -3dB, today I re-tuned Audyssey (since I bumped the volume control while moving it from Y back to X) with your recommendations and it's at +5dB.



With the floor plan attached, is Z still the best position? Ideally I would like it at X, but even with both ports open and set to EQ2, I feel pressure again today (also regular TV at low volumes).
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 30th, 2012, 7:38 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by subpressure View Post
Done, thank you.



I can try over the weekend (I need to move the whole sofa to put it on the other side, there's other furniture there now).



I attached the floor plan. X is where I feel pressure, Y is where it's not aesthetically pleasing (but may work) and Z is where I believe your recommendation is.



I'm not sure... I was just watching regular primetime TV.



Yesterday it was at -3dB, today I re-tuned Audyssey (since I bumped the volume control while moving it from Y back to X) with your recommendations and it's at +5dB.



With the floor plan attached, is Z still the best position? Ideally I would like it at X, but even with both ports open and set to EQ2, I feel pressure again today (also regular TV at low volumes).
I don't understand this pressure phenomenon, especially if you are listening at a low level to regular TV program. Ordinarily I would say position X would be great... Try position Z and see how that goes. That should be great as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 30th, 2012, 9:38 PM
mentatgom mentatgom is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 39
mentatgom is on a distinguished road
Hi subpressure,

I believe I am familiar with the "pressure" you are describing. I too have my sub at the end of my couch. But I also get a similar feeling listening to my car radio after a while. I love listening to music, and just hearing in general, so I went as far as going to an Audiologist for an examination. I checked out fine, but still have that odd feeling, so not sure what to tell you. When I have the option, I just try to sit at least 4ft from my Sub, which ends up being about center of the couch. I understand how worrisome it can be feeling something affecting your hearing, especially if your a lover of music... and since you are here, I know you are!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 31st, 2012, 6:45 AM
subpressure subpressure is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 10
subpressure is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
I don't understand this pressure phenomenon, especially if you are listening at a low level to regular TV program. Ordinarily I would say position X would be great... Try position Z and see how that goes. That should be great as well.
Position Z is nearly perfect. I feel it a little bit in my other ear now, I may move it another foot or two and it should be fine.

I did have another question: should I set the crossover in the sub or in my receiver? The receiver sets it to 120Hz after Audessey.

I tried changing it to 80Hz in the receiver, and when I flip the switch from Out to In (on the sub) and set it to 80Hz, there is a big sound difference.

What's the correct crossover and where should I set it?

Thank you Dr. Hsu for your help and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentatgom View Post
Hi subpressure,

I believe I am familiar with the "pressure" you are describing. I too have my sub at the end of my couch. But I also get a similar feeling listening to my car radio after a while. I love listening to music, and just hearing in general, so I went as far as going to an Audiologist for an examination. I checked out fine, but still have that odd feeling, so not sure what to tell you. When I have the option, I just try to sit at least 4ft from my Sub, which ends up being about center of the couch. I understand how worrisome it can be feeling something affecting your hearing, especially if your a lover of music... and since you are here, I know you are!
I think it may just be me... my wife sat next to the sub, and she said it's perfectly fine for her (where I'm sitting about 5-6 feet away from the sub now, and I still feel a little bit of pressure in my other ear now...)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 31st, 2012, 1:55 PM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by subpressure View Post
Position Z is nearly perfect. I feel it a little bit in my other ear now, I may move it another foot or two and it should be fine.

I did have another question: should I set the crossover in the sub or in my receiver? The receiver sets it to 120Hz after Audessey.

I tried changing it to 80Hz in the receiver, and when I flip the switch from Out to In (on the sub) and set it to 80Hz, there is a big sound difference.

What's the correct crossover and where should I set it?

Thank you Dr. Hsu for your help and time.



I think it may just be me... my wife sat next to the sub, and she said it's perfectly fine for her (where I'm sitting about 5-6 feet away from the sub now, and I still feel a little bit of pressure in my other ear now...)
I would set the crossover on the receiver, and leave the crossover on the sub in 'out'. I would manually set it to 80 Hz. Engaging both doubles the crossover slope and also effectively lowers the crossover point for the sub.

You are most welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 1st, 2012, 6:15 AM
subpressure subpressure is offline
Registered User
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 10
subpressure is on a distinguished road
Update: So I left it where it is (at Z), re-ran Audessey with the correct crossovers, and I think everything is fine now.

I listened to music at a moderate volume (and watched TV for a couple of hours) yesterday - and it didn't bother me one bit (and the sub sounded great!).

Thanks again for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 1st, 2012, 6:58 AM
Dr_Hsu Dr_Hsu is offline
Administrator
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Posts: 801
Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by subpressure View Post
Update: So I left it where it is (at Z), re-ran Audessey with the correct crossovers, and I think everything is fine now.

I listened to music at a moderate volume (and watched TV for a couple of hours) yesterday - and it didn't bother me one bit (and the sub sounded great!).

Thanks again for the help!
You are most welcome! Enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump
 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forum Rules The Golden Rule: Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Technical Support: The best way to get tech support for serious issues is to call or email us. Questions asked on the forum may not be answered by qualified professionals.

No "Flaming": Spiteful talk and flaming wars will lead to "time-outs" for parties involved.

Shootouts: Shootouts are comparisons between products. We need to know about shootouts before allowing them on the forum, so call us and talk to the director of Sales before posting. Otherwise, your shootout may be removed.

Add to Reputation: Once you are a registered member, you can click this icon to add to the tally of other members' Rep Points. You must vote for seven other people before you can vote for the same person twice.

Report Bad Posts: Once you register, click this icon to let Administrators know if they should review a post. Please be specific as to why action might be needed.

HSU RESEARCH IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR COMMENTS MADE BY THIRD PARTY INDIVIDUALS ON THIS FORUM.

Thanks for reading the rules. Have a good time :)

In Association With