HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 7th, 2004, 7:52 PM

jhferry is on a distinguished road
Why no 30 day guarentee on the VTF3 in rosewood?

I was thinking of placing my order today. At first it was $649. Then it was updated to $699, no a no 30 day guarentee has been added?

This deal is getting worse by the minute....

Whats this all about?
Old December 8th, 2004, 3:27 AM

jbhungvt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry
I was thinking of placing my order today. At first it was $649. Then it was updated to $699, no a no 30 day guarentee has been added?

This deal is getting worse by the minute....

Whats this all about?
I was thinking of buying this unit but now I don't think I will anymore. It also said the finish is not guaranteed either. Whatever happens to customer satisfaction?

Anyways, I think they switched cabinet makers and prob are not as good as the last cabinet makers. Don't know...but i'lm disappointed.

I might just look elsewhere for Rosewood.
Old December 8th, 2004, 5:17 AM

octalon7 is on a distinguished road
Here, I'll try to explain from a business/manufacturer standpoint. I by no means guarantee this explains the reasoning, but let me just justify this type of decision.

HSU is switching cabinet makers. Lets probe the ideas why a company might do this. A. The current manufacturer has been inconsistent with deliveries. B. The current manufacturer repeatedly delivered poor quality that required rejection of the products. C. The current manufacturer can't meet demand. D. Think of common sense reasons why you would switch makers. You both are assuming HSU is selling a defective product to begin with, I'd assume you both don't know HSU very well. Any defects I've heard of have been taken care of ASAP with the customer in mind.

Ok, now why would there no longer be a guarantee on return from a business standpoint? Well first off, if you are trying to clear old inventory out for new inventory, offering the guarantee, you probably don't want customers returning the product after inventory has sold out and have to deal with offering an exchange and replacing it with the new product that you are selling at regular price. Secondly, if you are offering anything on sale as inventory reduction, you'd expect the consumer to be excited about the deep price cut and purchase for that reason and trust that a reputable company will not send a defective product knowingly.

HSU strives on customer service. Contact them personally if you are so worried. I think you both are assuming something is dangerously wrong with these Rosewood models. There are quite a few people on this message board with this model and as far as I can remember, not one of them has had a complaint about the quality (I could be wrong, but if there has been, there haven't been many complaints).

P.S. It's a SALE, if you don't want to risk it, then WAIT until the new models come and pay FULL price. Whatever happened to appreciating a sale???
Old December 8th, 2004, 5:23 AM

Dudley will become famous soon enoughDudley will become famous soon enough
The products are still under warrenty, so if something does not work they will still repair/replace it. Also, if there is a cosmetic blemish just give them a call and they will probably work something out (they have in the past).
Old December 8th, 2004, 7:29 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
I have to agree with Dudley and Octalon7 "it's just a one off sale", its not standard on regular priced items. Everyone wants the whole cake for nothing, but being realistic no reputable company lke Hsu is going to send you a lemon with gouging up the side, its all just a way of clearing stock at a good price.

I understand its also to make room for the new "Maple" finish.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/sho...=7195#post7195

....snip... snip .....
(Removed my not on topic comparision)

$200 off is excellent as these cabinets which I have seen many times. These are like first class furniture.

Ddavidson

Last edited by Ddavidson : December 8th, 2004 at 8:08 AM.
Old December 8th, 2004, 7:50 AM

Ok, why are they B stock though, it doesnt list them as that. Basically If it comes with a gash Im a dead man with the wife is why Im asking.
Old December 8th, 2004, 8:01 AM

Ddavidson will become famous soon enoughDdavidson will become famous soon enough
There not B Stock.

They are on a one off sale.

If it troubles you that much wait till they go back to $899 as you will get a 30 day return period.

Ddavidson

Last edited by Ddavidson : December 8th, 2004 at 8:12 AM.
Old December 8th, 2004, 8:24 AM

They are new in boxes, so your chances of having a scratch on your cabinet are the same (pretty low) as if you ordered before the sale.
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:04 AM

tgrisham is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, this is a wonderful sub. I paid $900 new last year. I upgraded my VTF-3R with the Mark II amp. I have a large room. I even now have begun to use it with my floorstanding Dynaudios crossed over at 50 Hz. This is really a great deal. It is hard to believe that they would not stand behind their products, but if you want a full guarantee on the finish, you will have to pay full price. I personally would buy it on sale, get a nice cable and be happy. They will not sell you anything that does not meet their standards. They are not going to "dump" subs that don't meet their standards. Their customer service has been outstanding. By the way, the rosewood finish is absolutely beautiful! Even my wife says so, so it must be true!
Old December 8th, 2004, 1:35 PM

If HSU didn't say no guarantee on finish...then I wouldn't have a problem or concern. Since HSU switched cabinet makers and saying no guarantee on finish bothers me a little bit.
Old December 8th, 2004, 2:01 PM

I have not seen any complaints on the rosewood finish in this forum (or any other). The sub is the same as what was being sold last week at full price. It is a closeout price - hence no returns. This is pretty standard.

If you are concerned, then wait - no harm done.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a real wood, not a decal, so any small scratches can be buffed out (not that you should expect any).
Old December 8th, 2004, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley
I have not seen any complaints on the rosewood finish in this forum (or any other). The sub is the same as what was being sold last week at full price. It is a closeout price - hence no returns. This is pretty standard.

If you are concerned, then wait - no harm done.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a real wood, not a decal, so any small scratches can be buffed out (not that you should expect any).
So you're saying this Rosewood sub is from the old cabinet maker and not from the new cabinet maker? and how do you know?
Old December 8th, 2004, 4:20 PM

judgeblast is on a distinguished road
Dudley: "The sub is the same as what was being sold last week at full price. It is a closeout price - hence no returns. This is pretty standard. If you are concerned, then wait - no harm done."

When I ordered my rosewood sub FRIDAY 3 Dec. this:
"No 30 day guarantee or finish guarantee on this one." claim wasn't in the ad!
The ad DIDN'T SAY CLOSE OUT or ANYTHING OF THE SORT!
SO PLEASE DON'T TELL ME - NO HARM DONE - MY MONEY IS PAID -SUB ARRIVES Fri.
What was said was SALE - not closeout/ b-stock/ discontinued ect.!!!!
I'm sure they'll back it since I ordered mine before B/S disclaimers were added, I can tell you this is very dissapointing.

Roy
Old December 8th, 2004, 4:21 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
I am pretty sure it is the same cabinet from last week....or last month....or last year.

But you are not, a quick phone call would clear it up.

Heck...I know a couple of guys that bought the rosewood in b-stock and can't find flaws.
Old December 8th, 2004, 4:45 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Greetings my fellow Hsu afficionados,

These rosewood units are brand new and well finished. We need to sell the $699 VTF-3MK2 rosewood model without the 30 day and finish guarantee because this is the only way for us to limit our liability enough to sell the unit at this low price. If you want the standard 30 day and finish guarantee, then the asking price would be $899.

The $649 price was an error, and was corrected as soon as the error was discovered. Surely we do not want to price the more costly rosewood model lower than the black model!

At this current asking price for the rosewood model, one would probably be better off just selling locally if they were not 110% satisfied. The rosewood MK2 model has higher resale value than the black model anyway, so you would be in good shape in any situation.

Thank you for your patience, and please accept our apologies for the confusion.

Peter Marcks
Hsu Research

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : December 8th, 2004 at 4:55 PM.
Old December 8th, 2004, 6:05 PM

octalon7 is on a distinguished road
Roy,
I can tell you that in 30 days wood finishes don't degrade to saw dust unless you purposely apply a belt sander to them.
Old December 8th, 2004, 7:00 PM

Quote:
We need to sell the $699 VTF-3MK2 rosewood model without the 30 day and finish guarantee because this is the only way for us to limit our liability enough to sell the unit at this low price.
Im not sure I really understand this. If your product is good, you stand behind it just like you have alwyas done. I guess Im pissed because I never got my order in and now that disclaimer is up. The bottomline is if the 30 days guarentee is in place you dont lose anything. The refund is still $699. Since your clearing them out this particular rosewood would not sell for more than that anyway so I dont see how it makes HSU more liable.

If the units are as good as they always were and the buyer pays the return shipping than its reason to be suspicious.
Old December 8th, 2004, 7:51 PM

At the end of the year you can get factory rebates on luxury cars, that does not mean they are not as good.

HSU has hinted about a new maple finish coming soon, maybe they want to make room for the new models.
Old December 9th, 2004, 5:52 AM
Hsu Research

Hello jhferry,

There is no reason to be suspicious at all. We cannot profitably sell VTF-3MK2's in rosewood at $699 unless we limit our liability in other areas. Any unit that has a full 30 day guarantee has potentially added costs for us. This is because returned units have a full refund of the original purchase price, but still need to be classified as lower priced B-stock items, so we ultimately receive less money for the unit when it is later sold. We also need to pay for repackaging and storage of the returned subwoofers. All of this costs money.

These $699 rosewood units should actually be worth more than $699 in the used market. They are brand new, and well-finished. At this price, this is a great investment.
Old December 9th, 2004, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
Hello jhferry,

There is no reason to be suspicious at all. We cannot profitably sell VTF-3MK2's in rosewood at $699 unless we limit our liability in other areas. Any unit that has a full 30 day guarantee has potentially added costs for us. This is because returned units have a full refund of the original purchase price, but still need to be classified as lower priced B-stock items, so we ultimately receive less money for the unit when it is later sold. We also need to pay for repackaging and storage of the returned subwoofers. All of this costs money.

These $699 rosewood units should actually be worth more than $699 in the used market. They are brand new, and well-finished. At this price, this is a great investment.
Peter,
So it makes me feel better that it's brand new and well-finished..that's what I'm looking for.
You cann't return but the sub is under warranty correct? I guess that's the bottom line since I know what an HSU sub sounds like...I'm impressed. If I buy, more than likely I won't return...if I return then it's the finished that I'm worrying about...based on feedback...the finished is good and people liked them. In that case, $699+shipping sounds goodhttp://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Old December 9th, 2004, 7:02 AM
Hsu Research

Absolutely jbhungvt, these VTF-3 MK2 rosewood units are covered by the full parts warranty, 7 Years on the woofer and 2 years on the electronics.
Old December 10th, 2004, 8:52 AM

Retread will become famous soon enoughRetread will become famous soon enough
Rosewood blemishes

[quote=jbhungvt]Peter,
So it makes me feel better that it's brand new and well-finished..that's what I'm looking for.
You cann't return but the sub is under warranty correct? I guess that's the bottom line since I know what an HSU sub sounds like...I'm impressed. If I buy, more than likely I won't return...if I return then it's the finished that I'm worrying about...based on feedback...the finished is good and people liked them. In that case, $699+shipping sounds good. /QUOTE]

I already have a VTF-3 MK1 in rosewood. I just ordered a VTF-3 MK2 in Rosewood. Obviously I'm happy with the sound and like the appearance of my current sub.

Before placing my phone order, I quizzed the sales person about the finish. He reported that the piano-black top is flawless. The issue has been that there has been a staining flaw in the Rosewood in about 5% of the units. This staining flaw represents as a slightly lighter spot of small size (perhaps a half-inch). He reported that it took careful examination with controlled lighting to detect the flaw. But those that had the flaw were, by definition, not perfect.

The subs that are on sale are fully warranted for performance, just like all other Hsu subs. They just can't tolerate having people order for home test and then return at these levels of discount prices.

It appears the -3R MK2 stock is depleted. I have an email from Dr. Hsu saying that they are waiting for new stock from the vendor and may not be able to ship my new sub in time for Christmas. Which is OK, because this is not a Christmas present.