HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 14th, 2011, 6:42 PM

WesM867 is on a distinguished road
New Owner of VTF-3 HO w/ Turbo

I was checking Audiogon earlier as I do every day and when I searched for Hsu as I also always do up came a new listing for the subwoofer. I knew I had to have it and not just because of my experience with Hsu or solely because I read about what this model can do, but this was a brand new in box subwoofer including new in box turbocharger. Wow! And shortly after making an offer the seller accepted. So within a few days I should have my NEW HO sub w/ turbo for under $700 shipped. Again, wow! I'm pretty excited to say the least. I've explored all the current subwoofer options from every ID company and there just isn't a deal that good on any subwoofer in my opinion. Maybe for a few hundred dollars more but I wasn't ready to give up any more than that.

Is this an upgrade for me? Hmmm. I'm coming from the newest iteration of the Elemental Designs A5-350 15" beast of a subwoofer but I never felt that it's musicality matched the previous STF-3 I owned or even the lowly STF-2 10". So I'm hoping this sub provides the best of both worlds. High output, great extension and tight (there's that word) well blended bass.

I'm coming off of 4-5 days of real sickness. A cold that had me hating life and I lost 8 pounds too. I felt I needed something to cheer me up. I think this will do that just fine.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Well, I was just looking back over some old threads on the HO subs and noticed there was an earlier version of this sub which didn't compare favorably to the newer version. I have no idea which version I just bought but am hoping it was the later.

Pete, would you be able to tell me at what point (month/year) the newer version was manufactured. I will ask the seller. Not that it matters now that I've paid and he has probably shipped. I will be crossing my fingers it's the 'better' version.

Thanks, Wes

EDIT: Seller emailed me the following: "The initial batch had problems. My order was delayed because they stopped shipping the earlier version. It was delivered in Oct. 2006"

This puts my mind at ease.

Last edited by WesM867 : August 15th, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old August 15th, 2011, 3:26 PM

domingos35 is on a distinguished road
how did u like your A5-350 for MOVIES?
Old August 15th, 2011, 5:26 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Hey Wes, great find on the VTF-3 HO, hope you are feeling better now!

If you email us the serial number on the unit, we can tell you when it was purchased. And if we see a pic of the driver cone and magnet, we can tell which driver was used.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Old August 15th, 2011, 7:42 PM

The seller has shipped both packages via Fedex as requested. I hope that after almost 5 years sitting the boxes aren't too beat up and survive the trip, or at least allow the contents inside to go unharmed.

Seller also emailed with this: "It was shipped 10/17/2006. I left the part on the box for you to verify just above your name.
I’m taking it to fedex now.
"
Old August 16th, 2011, 2:45 PM

leninGHOLA is on a distinguished road
Brand new in box? Awesome. Post a pic or 2 when you get it.