HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 18th, 2005, 7:38 PM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Dual VTF3 MKIIs, what a ride!

A lot of you guys already know I just added dual VTF-3 MKII subs to my setup. I wanted to write my impressions of having dual VTF3's last night, but to be honest I just couldn't pick my jaw up off the floor from all the times I've said "damn" over the weekend.

Disclaimer:
Since a lot of you already know how my last week of two has gone I hope you'll believe me when I say I'm not trying to exaggerate or hype the VTF3. I'm trying to be totally honest and give you my impressions. I have absolutly no stake in whether or not Hsu sells more or less subs and I have no interest in comparing Hsu with SVS or any other manufacturer except maybe JBL who's subs I just upgraded from.

Setup if anyone cares:
Fronts: Monitor Audio Silver S10 (+/-3dB 32Hz-30kHz)
Center: Monitor Audio silver LCR (+/-3dB 45Hz-30kHz)
Surrounds: Axiom QS8 (+/-3dB 95Hz- 22kHz)
Center Backs: JBL HLS410 (+/-3dB 75Hz-20kHz)

Preamp: Sherwood Newcastle P965
Amp:Rotel RMB-1095(200x5)
Amp Rotel RB-1050 (70x2)
DVD: Momitsu V880
Bass Management: Outlaw ICBM

The speakers were crossed overs as follows:
Fronts: 60Hz
Center: 60Hz
Surrounds: 100Hz
Center Backs: 80Hz

Subs were calibrated as follows:
Radio Shack analog SPL meter(C-weighted, Slow response).
System was AVIA calibrated to a reference volume of 85dB.
Both subs were calibrated to 82dB to account for the inaccuracy of the RS meter.
We calibrate each sub to 82dB seperately and afterward checked and the combined SPL was up 3dB with subs in a front L/R corner setup.
MV ranged from -15 to -5 depending on how hot the movie was mixed

My impressions
My previous dual subs were JBL PSWD112 that in their day were really good performing subs and they served me well for the last 6yrs. The JBLs were good subs in the 25Hz and up range(with 10% distortion according to the Tom Nousaine list), but could never give me a real punch in the chest. That's why I decided to upgrade to something that would really knock me over.

Well let me tell you guys, the VTF3 is one seroius sub. Over the past weekend my sons and I had a chance to play scenes from all of the following movies in either a single or a dual VTF3 setup:

Lord of the Rings Extended Editions DTS(FOTR, TTT, ROTK)
Monster's Inc
Finding Nemo
Ice Age
U571
Pearl Harbor(no laughing I only watched the last 40 mins, honest).
Chronicles of Riddick
Star Wars Episode I
Star Wars Episode II
I Robot
Blade Trinity(Ok, you can laugh I watched the whole thing)
Master and Commander
Spiderman II Superbit
Jurassic Park III
Titan A.E.
Black Hawk Down
Matrix Revolutions
Terminator 2
Terminator 3
HellBoy
Alien vs. Predator
Independence Day
Van Helsing
Underworld
League of Extrordanary Gentleman(yeah I know, but the bass is great)

Yes, we watched scenes from all of these movies in the last two days and my 14yr old twin boys had a few friends over during a few scenes who had been over plenty of times before for movies, but this time they were just blown away at the bass that filled the room.

I should also note that when we calibrated the subs the volume on each sub was at less than 25% or about 8 o'clock with 6 o'clock being 0. Also each sub was first calibrated to 82dB individually to account for the RS meter factor(if the charts are right 82 is really 85 for bass), I then re-ran the SPL check with both subs together and the SPL was 85dB, so the dual subs together added a free 3dB to the calibration without turning a knob. I then decided that since I had gained 3 extra db without putting any more strain on the sub's amps I could up my preamp's sub volume by 3dB which would mean even though I'm 6dBs hot the subs are only working harder for the 3dB of attenuation from the preamp. So the dual setup had 3dB more gain than the single setup just by running two subs in the front L/R corners. Being able to run the subs 6dB hot and only stressing the amps for the extra 3dB is great. If you don't think 3dB makes a difference put on some music and crank it up to 100dB, then see how much louder it is when you get to 103dB. Then you'll hear that the extra 3dB is significant.

OK enough backgroung here's what we heard. A single VTF3 MKII is a real butt kicker. With enough impact to make most people happy. With concete under carpet flooring like I have in my room a dual VTF3 setup is a must for me. Concrete really eliminatesa lot of vibration you feel on wood flooring and having dual subs really makes the sofa want to walk away on concrete. I just can't image two of these subs on the main level of my house pouding away on wood floors. So I think unless you have concrete or a large room two VTF3s is overkill. Actually they are overkill for my 13x24x7.4 room, but when it comes to audio I'd rather have to much than too littlehttp://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...es/biggrin.gif .

I won't go through every movie listed, but here's what I heard and at times didn't hear, but felt from a few.

Jurrassic Park III: We first watched the dino fight scene with a single VTF3 first. Holy crap Batman! hold onto your seats. The stomping of the feet from the two dinos in this scene is pretty cool. I have no idea how low it goes, but we could hear and feel the stomps. The whole room shook like it was falling apart. You can really feel the stomps. I'm glad my fronts are crossed over at 60Hz even thought they go down to 32Hz, because there is a part in this scene where one dino roars loudly throught the left front speaker and if it wasn't crossed over high enough I imagine at loud volumes it could cause some speaker damage. With two VTF3s this scene was just insane. We watched at a MV of -12 with one sub and -12 with both subs running and the dual subs just made you say "damn". It's really impressive.

SW Episode I: we watched the pod race scene and the Darth Maul battle at
the end. Both scenes were watched at -5 with a single and a dual sub setup. I have no idea what SPL we were hitting, but as good as a single setup is (and it was REALLY good) the dual setup just feels stronger. I kept thinking that what the hell do I need two of these for when one is this good, but then when you switch on the second sub you realize that one is addicting and two is just heaven. At one time during this scene my wife came in and sat down for all of 1 min. She looked at us and said "OMG this is ridiculas, I have to get out of here you guys have problems, it FEELS like those things are flying into me"http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...ilies/cool.gif . That was the seal of approval for me. Man you can really feel the waves of energy hit you when the pods fly around. That's what makes the VTF3s so great. As pods enter and exit turns the VTF3s hit you with a wave of energy that's strong and very forceful. There's even one scene where Quadranaro blows his power coupling and he's sitting on the raceway looking right at you and two or three pods fly over his head and right at you. Well when they fly by you feel like a jet just did a flyby over your head. The amount of slam I got frm the subs made me say "damn that's nice".

Then we checked out the Darth Maul scene. If you think this scene hits hard when the sabers clash together with one sub you just can't even imagine the impact that it has with two subs. Each hit of a sabers is followed my a clack of thunder like the worst thunder storm you can imagine. I definitely never FELT it like this with my JBLs. I really wish I had kept count of how many times I said damn during these two scenes.

I think the key thing I noticed was that the single VTF3 had the same sound, and punch as the dual setup, but the dual setup is louder with less stress than the single so it seemed to have more impact or slam. The extra 3dB I got from having dual subs made a big difference. 3dB may not sound like a lot but it was.

Titan A.E. Ice Storm: This one was really impressive. I ran this scene at -12dB with the single and the dual. While this scene doesn't have the same effect of waves moving through you as the SW pod race scene it does have bass that you can feel that is really tight and deep with the VTF3s and at the same time hits really hard with even a single VTF3. There were times when the ice would hit eachother that I really did think I would crack the sheetrock in my basement. This time intead of "damn" I found myself saying "OMG".

Matrix Revolutions: MV at -8, and sure the footstomps of the walkers was deep and powerful, but the real scene that showed what the VTF3s could do was when Neo and Smith are fighting in the sky and a huge energy ball is produced after they crash into eachother. This is one really cool effect with the right subs and I think I just had my first real experience with bass that's felt and not heard. I know there's plenty movies on my list with scenes that go below 20Hz and I can ONLY feel the bass, but there's usually so much bass and surround action going on in those scenes that it's hard to tell which bass is which(heard or felt). In this scene right after the ball explodes there's bass you can hear and feel and then all of a sudden things get quiet and the whole room pressurizes with the sofa and walls just shaking, but you hear nothing. I have no idea how low this scene goes, but it's definitely lower than my hearing goes, because everything got eerily quiet and suddenly the whole room gets preassurized, starts shaking and you feel the energy from the subs going through you. The VTF3s produced the bass in this scene really well. I've played this scene many times with the JBLs and it never had this effect on me or the room. The single VTF3 did justice to this scene, but the dual just did it so much better.

Dual vs. single is a tough call because a single VTF3 is just so good, that unless you want the extra headroom that another VTF3 provides, one will be just plenty. I guess if I had to put a number on it I'd say a single VTF3 gets me 85% of the way there and the dual (by adding more volume and probably less strain on the amps) just seems to hit harder. During all these movies it was really hard to make the subs cry uncle and a lot of times I was worried I'd crack the sheetrock and the subs still hadn't cried uncle. Also the subs are just so tight and dig so deep that I can't image anyone wanting more.

I plan on getting dual turboshttp://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif for these when they are available, but I'm not sure the walls can take it. My guess is that the turbos will have a native tune of 17 or 18Hz vs. the non-turbo VTF3s 20Hz. This is just speculation on my part though. I think the thing that surprised me the most was just how powerful and tight these subs are. I really wasn't prepared for them to have this kind of bass. Sure my JBLs were good, but these are just in a completely different league.

Legairre

Last edited by lradden : July 19th, 2005 at 7:52 PM.
Old July 18th, 2005, 11:45 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
Cool
Old July 19th, 2005, 9:34 AM

KFB is on a distinguished road
Very cool. I didn't see (unless I missed it) how you located the subs. Did you co-locate them, stacked or whatever or are they in different locations?
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Ask for a demo

We located the subs right behind the front speakers in the left and right corners about 10" from the side walls and 10" from the rear wall. Just to play around we did stack them in the left front corner and since they were already calibrated individually all we did was place one on top of the other, remove the 3dB increase from the preamp and run AVIA again. Just stacking the subs showed a 5dB increase when we ran AVIA vs. a single VTF3.

We then ran them hot by 3dB by increasing the preamp's sub volume from 0 to +3. Combine that with the 5dB we got by simply stacking them and they ran 8dB hot, but the sub amps only had to work harder for the 3dB we added at the preamp.

Here's how it brokedown for the three configurations with the preamp 3dB hot in all three configurations.

*single VTF3 = 3dB(preamp)
*dual L/R corners = 6dB (3dB preamp, 3dB location)
*dual stacked = 8dB (3dB preamp, 5dB location)

Legairre

Old July 19th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
Legairre,

Very cool!!

Do you have your DVD player decode all formats? The ICBM does all bass management? The P965 does no processing except for volume?
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
'Very cool!!
Quote:
'Do you have your DVD player decode all formats? The ICBM does all bass management? The P965 does no processing except for volume?

The DVD player is a Momitsu v880(one of the upconverting players), and has no built in BM and does support SACD or DVD Audio.

P965 supports Prologic IIx which can have stereo center backs(unless I'm mistaken) and the ICBM only supports a mono center back(one output so you need a "Y" splitter and get the same sound in both center backs). Because of this I use the ICBM to handle all BM for the following:

*front L/R (60Hz)
*center (60Hz)
*side surrounds (100) Hz
*center backs(I let the p965 handle the dual center backs with it's 80Hz crossover so I don't loose the stereo center backs when I overlay DPLIIx over DD & DTS material).

Center backs go from P965 right to my two channel amp and never get routed through the ICBM. Everything else goes P965, ICBM then 5 channel amp.

The ICBM is a great peice. I though I read somewhere that the ICBM was designed by Dr. Hsu for Outlaw. Anyone know if this is true?

Old July 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Michael Bain is on a distinguished road
What's up with the cool lingo? Isn't it nice and warm in most places in USA at this time?

Nice job, you and your sons are in store for many happy weekends now.
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Don't know about the ICBM, but Dr. Hsu did help with the Outlaw sub.
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Ask for a demo

Ah! Michael you got me. I'm probably the only 39yr old guy left on the planet that still says "cool" . My wife has been giving me crap about that for 15 years. Somehow my sons still think is "cool" that dad talks like a throw back to the 80s, but what do they know they're just kids.

My wife says it's not cool anymore to say cool, but hey everything is "cool" when your sub is working properly

Old July 19th, 2005, 1:19 PM

All is cool when you subwoofers are working properly

I didn't even notice you said cool. I did notice dekany, chang, and KGB use it though
Old July 19th, 2005, 1:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lradden

The DVD player is a Momitsu v880(one of the upconverting players), and has no built in BM and does support SACD or DVD Audio.

P965 supports Prologic IIx which can have stereo center backs(unless I'm mistaken) and the ICBM only supports a mono center back(one output so you need a "Y" splitter and get the same sound in both center backs). Because of this I use the ICBM to handle all BM for the following:

*front L/R (60Hz)
*center (60Hz)
*side surrounds (100) Hz
*center backs(I let the p965 handle the dual center backs with it's 80Hz crossover so I don't loose the stereo center backs when I overlay DPLIIx over DD & DTS material).

Center backs go from P965 right to my two channel amp and never get routed through the ICBM. Everything else goes P965, ICBM then 5 channel amp.

The ICBM is a great peice. I though I read somewhere that the ICBM was designed by Dr. Hsu for Outlaw. Anyone know if this is true?

So you have the ICBM after the P965, and I assume you all speakers set to large on the P965 except for center-backs? But if you have the center backs set to 80hz....doesn't that effect the other speakers too since the crossover on the P965 is global?
Old July 19th, 2005, 1:35 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang
So you have the ICBM after the P965, and I assume you all speakers set to large on the P965 except for center-backs? But if you have the center backs set to 80hz....doesn't that effect the other speakers too since the crossover on the P965 is global?
Yep you got it. All speakers except the center backs are set to large(man your good ), and the P965 crossover only works on small speakers like the center backs. The P965 sends a full range signal with no crossover to all large speakers so the ICBM can handle the crossover for large speakers. Only speakers set to small like the center backs get the P965 crossover.

Old July 19th, 2005, 1:39 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bain
All is cool when you subwoofers are working properly

I didn't even notice you said cool. I did notice dekany, chang, and KGB use it though
I like the "S" you put on there. So I'm not the only guy left who says still cool? I'm probably just the only old guy who still says cool though.

Old July 19th, 2005, 1:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yep you got it. All speakers except the center backs are set to large(man your good ), and the P965 crossover only works on small speakers like the center backs. The P965 sends a full range signal with no crossover to all large speakers so the ICBM can handle the crossover for large speakers. Only speakers set to small like the center backs get the P965 crossover.
OK.....have you seen this bug on the P965? It was posted in AVS.

Quote:
Setting the front speakers to “Large” does not disable redirected bass to the subwoofer for that speaker pair. Selecting Large only reduces the redirected bass by 55% instead of disabling it. However the redirected bass is disabled if the Surround channel speaker pair is also set to Large. NOTE: Bass Management does work correctly when selecting “pure audio” mode, but not for Stereo or Bypass modes.
I own a P-965 so I follow these things.
Old July 19th, 2005, 2:07 PM
Ask for a demo

Ahhh, so that's why you know so much abou the P965, cool. I saw that bug and figured since my surrounds are set to large the 965 would still send a "true" full range signal to all speakers set to larges during DD/DTS playback since the center backs are small that would have no effect on the bug in the 965. If I interpeted the bug correctly setting the "side surrounds" to large would defeat the bug for DD/DTS playback so I should be fine. As for 2 channel I only listen to 2 channel in "pure mode" so I should be fine there too.

Have you upgraded to the 4.1 software yet?

Old July 19th, 2005, 2:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ahhh, so that's why you know so much abou the P965, cool. I saw that bug and figured since my surrounds are set to large the 965 would still send a "true" full range signal to all speakers set to larges during DD/DTS playback since the center backs are small that would have no effect on the bug in the 965. If I interpeted the bug correctly setting the "side surrounds" to large would defeat the bug for DD/DTS playback so I should be fine. As for 2 channel I only listen to 2 channel in "pure mode" so I should be fine there too.
Might be something to test.

Quote:
Have you upgraded to the 4.1 software yet?
Yup.
Old July 19th, 2005, 2:19 PM
Ask for a demo

I'll test it when I get home. I though I reconized your name from the big AVS 965 thread.

Old July 19th, 2005, 3:09 PM
Super Moderator

Yup....
even with some of these bugs....I love my P-965. Since I run my speakers small, I don't run into any problems.
Old July 19th, 2005, 5:34 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Thank you for posting your initial impressions, Legairre! This hobby is all about enjoyment, and I see that you are now ready to enjoy the music!

The current VTF-3 MK2 is tuned above 22Hz with both ports open. The turbocharger will allow for maximum available port flow area in maximum extension mode, which is tuned ~17-18Hz. There is also more than meets the eye with respect to the MK2 upgrade option. Of course, let's keep this as a surprise for now.

Sincerely,
Old July 19th, 2005, 7:35 PM

john. is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

awesome review, i'd love to hear that setup. glad everything is working out for you.

btw you should update that website of yours to show the new dual hsu setup
PS3
VTF3mk3
Old July 19th, 2005, 8:24 PM

So what's the deal with the secret stuff? What is it, a hsu bumper sticker on the turbo?
Old July 19th, 2005, 9:27 PM

edm is on a distinguished road
do you think your neighbors can tell the difference between dual and single sub?
Old July 25th, 2005, 3:10 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.
awesome review, i'd love to hear that setup. glad everything is working out for you.

btw you should update that website of yours to show the new dual hsu setup
Thanks John, I've been traveling the last few days and plan on updating the site tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm
do you think your neighbors can tell the difference between dual and single sub?
No way the theater's in the basements and thenext house is about 200 ft away. The concrete behind the sheetrock really muffles the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
Thank you for posting your initial impressions, Legairre! This hobby is all about enjoyment, and I see that you are now ready to enjoy the music!
Man I am definitely enjoying the sound now. I haven't been home since Thursday and I'm dying to watch Flight of the Phoenix. I've heard the movie isn't that great, but I've also read the crash scenes has some killer bass.

Old July 25th, 2005, 3:15 PM
Ask for a demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bain
So what's the deal with the secret stuff? What is it, a hsu bumper sticker on the turbo?
My guess is that along with the turbo there's an optional amp or woofer upgrade to give more SPL at lower Hz. Peter always says we'll be pleasently surpised and seems to imply that there's even more as far as upgrades go.

Old July 25th, 2005, 5:28 PM
Hsu Research

Welcome back Legairre!

We have taken some steps to protect our new ideas, so in that sense all should be an open book, right? Well, I want to purposely keep quiet about certain things in order to surprise you all when the time is right and the new products are closer to completion.

Sincerely,
Old July 25th, 2005, 6:03 PM
Ask for a demo

I completely understand Peter. I'm just sitting here enjoying my VTF3s with my remote in one hand and my wallet in the other, so I can be one of the first to order when everything is available. Talk about a complete turn around from my attitude a couple of weeks ago. Now I can't throw my money at Hsu fast enough.

Last edited by lradden : July 25th, 2005 at 9:48 PM.
Old July 25th, 2005, 9:18 PM
Hsu Research

Ahhh Legairre, save your money or go and buy some DVD's and CD's

Have a wonderful night!

Sincerely,
Old July 27th, 2005, 5:07 PM

Hans Gruber is on a distinguished road
Smile Dual VTF-3 MK2 is overkill!

In a society of excess every where I guess it makes sense. My lone VTF-3 MK2 does the job nicely. I can only imagine what 2 subs would sound like. If you have a large room it makes sense.

My opinion on the STF-3 is who need it when you can have the VTF-3 MK2 for $100 more and bass down to 16hz. It's a no brainer.

I imagine that I will be purchasing the turbo charger when it comes out.

I love my VTF-3 MK2. I ignore the sound level meter and turn the sub up a couple db's for effect.

I still wish shipping were free. I paid the $699 +$50 for mine. I liked the piano black but the price was higher when I bought mine.

If the turbo charger is as good as the rumors started by Dr. HSU's staff, SVS's fan club will need plenty of psychotherapy sessions to get over their neurosis.

I don't think I will be replacing my VTF-3 MK2 ever!
Old July 27th, 2005, 6:06 PM
Ask for a demo

Hans,
When it comes to bass there's no such thing as overkill. Everytime I fire up my dual MKII setup it's like the subs are looking at me and saying "yipeee ki yeh...".

Last edited by lradden : July 27th, 2005 at 9:47 PM.
Old July 27th, 2005, 9:28 PM

jephdood is on a distinguished road
I think it would be cool to see maybe some special pricing on a dual sub order. Like what Outlaw does with their LFM-1.

I might be tempted to sell my _ _ _ and come back to Hsu's team if a smokin' deal on dualies could be had.

I honestly regret selling my VTF-3 II. Was the best dual-purpose (HT and music) sub I've owned.
Old July 27th, 2005, 9:45 PM
Ask for a demo

I might be mistaken but I thought I read over on AVS that dual VTF3s did have special pricing and was something like $1248. Maybe Peter can chime in on this.

Old July 29th, 2005, 4:39 PM

Hans Gruber is on a distinguished road
Smile lradden, how big you your dual HSU sub room? Hans has an unrelated political statemen

I will agree with you that there is no such thing as too much subwoofer. However, the same argument can be made for why anybody would purchase and STF-1 or STF-2 and for that matter any other subwoofer than the VTF-3 MK2. For bass response alone nothing else HSU offers can reach 16hz.

My movie room is not large at all. 14X12. I considered nothing other than VTF-3 MK2 becuase of it 16hz bass response. I had heard many good things about HSU subs but it was the Jan 04 review in Secrets of Home Theater that made my mind up for me.

I can understand from a marketing standpoint why HSU makes several different subs. Many home theater fans have limited budgets therefore less expensive subs makes sense to offer to cheap customers.

HSU should coin a phrase like BMW's "The Ultimate Driving Machine." HSU's should be something like "It's not always what you hear, it's what you feel."
We cannot hear below somewhere around 30hz. But you can certainly feel what cannot be heard.

Finally my last comparison. This has nothing to do with subwoofers. I'm getting a motorcycle. Honda CBR 600RR. Because I watch movies I see product placement. In the movie "Torque" during motorcycle riding sequences the riders wear HJC helmets. I have quickly discovered that HJC helmets are considered "cheapies." and this is a bad thing? It goes without saying that professional (any guy on the street) crotch rocket riders tend to wear almost exclusively Arai or Shoei helmets. These helmets cost up to $800 but usually $400-$600 for the Shoei and Arai. The HJC helmets top out at $300. My point, there is no difference between the Shoei, Arai and the HJC helmets. If you took the strickers off all 3 helmets and showed them from a distance you cannot tell the difference between helmets easily. However, because Shoei and Aria allows motorcycle dealers huge profit margins for Shoei and Arai, misconceptions and outright lies like "Arai helmets fit abnormally shaped heads better than other brands." With Shoei, everybody wears them. They are like live strong bracelets. Because HJC has a different business model, like HSU does in subwoofers. Misconceptions are made based on price alone. This is absurd!

When I bought my HSU sub, only high end audio retailers knew the HSU brand name well. I bought my HSU because of the 16hz ability of the VTF-3 MK2. Has anybody else noticed how everything today wheather it be cars, audio/video are great! according to reviews. Every high school now has 30 validictorians. There is a huge inflation in grades, quality and value in America. It's nice to be able to use a sound level meter to see that in fact the HSU VTF-3 MK2 does hit 16hz.

I find it hysterical to read that Dr. Hsu uses a $100 receiver to listen to music. Or that he uses non chic speaker wire to connect the HSU subs at Audio/Video conventions. Sounds like a true scientist to me. I grew up in Seattle with Boeing engineers as neighbors. Our society has adopted a religious like belief that appearance and price should take presidence over quality. Or that price alone is a symbol of quality.

The HSU VTF-3 MK2 should be compared with $2,000 subs based on the business plan that HSU uses. The internet has changed the way commerce works. If you ever watched American Banstand in the 60'-80's most people did not realize that Dick Clark the host was signing and stealing the rights to every musician who ever performed. He owns more original music rights and recordings than just about anyone. Radio stations used to be paid to play music over and over again. They still do.

This has been a politcal statement!
I too have a touch of vanity. I buy the cheapest and most attractive cables I can find. Usually Acoustic Research cables. I did by some General Electric high end cables for RCA cables $11.99 on sale at Target. I also bought a Belkin PureAV PF40 power conditioner/surge protector for $200. The MSRP is $649. Nobody wants to buy Belkin for Home Theater because they are not established like Monster Power. Forget that belkin is one of the leading computer surge protection manufacturers in the world. I actually got a post banned on AVS forums because 2 guys were arguing about the quality of Monster Power vs. Panamax. One guy spend $750 for his Monster power conditioner and the other told him it was a waste. My PureAV PF40 cleans up the satellite picture well. It's really just a fancy power supply that tells you how many volts and amps my 120v outlet is producing.

I will most likely be purchasing the turbo charger when it arrives. Good luck with your two VTF-3 MK2 subs, Iradden. As Thundarr the Barbarian always said in his 1980's cartoon. "Lords of light."
Old July 29th, 2005, 9:19 PM

JonnyOzero3 is on a distinguished road
Hans - thank you for the tirade. I very much enjoyed it.

In the quest for home theater nirvana, I think it's all about bang for your buck, and drawing the line as to how much buck to lay down. I think internet direct companies are fantastic. I own Ascend Acoustics speakers, Blue Jeans Cables, and I will be ready to buy some Hsu subs very soon . I'm also considering Carada screens for the front projector, and if I hadn't already purchased my HK AVR-435 I would be seriously looking at the new Outlaw 1070 a/v reciever.

I will buy from whomever gives me the most performance (that word includes all objective and subjective traits possible in a product in my mind) for my dollar. So far, the internet direct companies are doing pretty well in my HT

A little more on topic - I would also like the option of dual sub deals. The thought of dual VTF-3 MkII's with turbochargers is making me drool on the keyboard. My Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 sub isn't cutting it as a stand-in, haha!
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Hsu Research

Good evening gentlemen!

Wow, thank you for all the kind words Hans, jephdood, Jonny, Legairre, etc!!! We will do our best to accomodate all of your needs in the future! Hold steady for a little while now, you will be very glad that you did

Sincerely,
Old July 30th, 2005, 9:46 AM

JonnyOzero3 is on a distinguished road
Aug? Sept? When when when!

I am trying my best to hold steady Peter! I'm getting anxious; I'm having a party the last week of September and I am hoping to have my sub(s) in place and ready to go by then (Serenity movie premier/Firefly party - I'm such a geek!). Please let Dr. Hsu know if the new stuff isn't ready by then, I'll...I'll...just wait longer But I'll be very very mad. Hehe.

-Jon O.
Old July 30th, 2005, 9:53 AM
Hsu Research

Good morning jon!

We do not want to make you mad ...but it will definitely take some time for everything to come together. Introducing a new product is always tricky, and always seems to take longer than most would anticipate. Thank you for hanging in there!

Sincerely,
Old July 30th, 2005, 3:23 PM

jephdood is on a distinguished road
For those who've owned dogs..

I always used to take my dog to the park down the hill from our house for some tennis ball running. Along with the exercise, I always tried to sneak a little bit of training in there as well.

I'd tell Brandy to "SIT".. then "STAY... STAY... STAY..." (thew the ball at this point) "STAY.. STAY.." Brandy stayed put.

Then suddenly I'd shout, "Okay.. GO!" And she'd take off and go get the ball.

Well guys.. Peter just told us to "STAY.." and threw the ball. Now we get to wait for "Okay.. GO!"

Old July 30th, 2005, 6:51 PM
Hsu Research

HA! Nice one jephdood

I was thinking more along the lines of Gladiator, when Maximus tells his men in the arena to "Hold...Hold..."

Have a great night all!
Old August 8th, 2005, 4:11 PM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Man I am definitely enjoying the sound now. I haven't been home since Thursday and I'm dying to watch Flight of the Phoenix. I've heard the movie isn't that great, but I've also read the crash scenes has some killer bass.
Legairre, thanks again for your time to share us your review.

Did you have time to watch the Flight of Phoenix? Bass must be overwhelming with these dual VTF-3 Mk2 killer subs, though one VTF-3 has plenty of power to make one hold hard to his seat and two VTF-3s will probably feel like the plane is in your HT room. The crash from my VTF-2 Mk2 leaves competition in the dust. http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif

I'm going to watch this week "Naked Weapon" where I will do my mini review sometimes to come since the DVD has a DTS track and from what I heard, the sound track is awesome!
Old August 9th, 2005, 9:25 PM
Ask for a demo

Hi tafguy,
I ended up being home about three days and work shipped my butt off to Microsoft in Redmond all last week, so I just watched Flight of the Phoenix last night. It's almost like an amusmenent park ride. Having been on four planes in the last week from CT. to WA. and back again the feeling of turbulance is very fresh in my body and mind(I hate flyinghttp://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...lies/frown.gif). This movie really had my sofa jumping with the feeling of severe turbulance. Thankfully I've never been on a plane that had turbulance even close to this bad. While the whole crash scene is really intense there's a couple of scenes that are just incredible. For instance there's feirce, and I mean fierce vibration felt all through your body when the plane is rolling over upside down and they show the passangers holding on for dear life. You feel the vibration in your legs, butt, back and feet as though your really in a plane that's in a role with the vibration coming from the plane's structure struggling to stay together as it's fighting against the air while being turned upside down. Also during this same scene there is two strong knocks you feel in your back. There's a lot of action/chaos going on and you feel and hear plenty of bass, but these are just two knocks you feel in your back that don't have any audible bass associated with them as the plane vibrates and roles, this is definitely bass that's felt and not heard. It feels like someone has a broom stick in back of the sofa and has poked you though the sofa two timeshttp://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...ilies/cool.gif.

Another scene that really took me by surprise was when they really get deep into the storm and Dennis Quaid puts the landing gear down. From that point on while in the storm the whole room is pressurized like the feeling you get in a bad thunderstorm. It's kind hard to explain, but since you've seen it you know what I mean.

I'm still running each sub calibrated to 85dB so they are each 3dB hot (RS meter is off by about 3dB). I originally had (by accident, I thought they were both at 0 http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...es/redface.gif) one of the subs phase at 0 and the other at 180 with both subs in the fronts L/R corners when I wrote the original review. Since then I've switched both subs phase to 0 and instead of the 3dB I get from running them hot combined with the 3dB from using two subs, I now get 3dB from running hot and 5dB from using two subs for a total of 8dB above the reference calibration. Just goes to show what the right phase setting can do.

Can't wait for the turbos. Anyone know if the turbo pipes will stand on their own without using the box on top of the sub. In my room I wouldn't mind the pipes showing over the top of the subs.

Old August 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM

tafguy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I ended up being home about three days and work shipped my butt off to Microsoft in Redmond all last week
I like that place, Seatle, an hour or two drive from Vancouver with warmer weather than Montreal, at least less snow but more rain though. Dropped by there once at Microsoft campus 10 years ago but by now, it must have more buildings than before. While I was there, there were probably about 21 buildings and some baseball fields. For those who have not seen the campus, you can see it at link below
http://research.microsoft.com/~gray/...os/Red_10x.htm

Quote:
There's a lot of action/chaos going on and you feel and hear plenty of bass, but these are just two knocks you feel in your back that don't have any audible bass associated with them as the plane vibrates and roles, this is definitely bass that's felt and not heard. It feels like someone has a broom stick in back of the sofa and has poked you though the sofa two times.
I still remember how good bass this movie has. Not only with the sub, the Vents perform extremely well on surround sound. How better can this be of what we all already felt with current HSU sub models? Pretty impatient to see the new performance with upcoming turbochargers.