HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2006, 7:59 PM
Hsu Research

Pete_Hsu will become famous soon enoughPete_Hsu will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb A New Era for Hsu Research!!!

VTF-3 Mk3

World's first truly modular subwoofer series Future proof design
Class Leading +/- 2db @ 18Hz frequency response Measured outside and away from reflective boundaries
Only subwoofer in class to have variable port tuning Choice of maximum output/widest dynamic range or maximum extension/deepest bass
12 driver Refined over several years time, very reliable, high excursion, high mid/upper bass headroom
1400 watts peak amplifier power Highest headroom amplifier in class (4x Peak-to-RMS ratio)
Full-featured amplifier Bypassable 24 dB/Oct crossover, continuously variable 30-90Hz low pass filter, high level and low level inputs
DUAL 4 ports with huge flares Moves up to 2x as much low-turbulent air vs other subwoofers in class per a given port tuning
Patent-pending porting technology Designed to minimize turbulence associated with port bend
Patent-pending turbocharger ready Moves as much air as TWO of the same subwoofer with port plug for a given level of port noise
Patent-pending mid-bass module ready Wider dynamic range, lower intermodulation distortion, reduced room effects, higher output, higher sound quality
21.5x17x25 HxWxD Ideal endtable height and minimized width for nice profile
Heavily-braced and solid enclosure Two large braces to support box and bent porting structure
No-cost finish options Black or Maple (available only in Black right now)
7 year warranty on woofer, 2 year warranty on amplifier
Hard Launch SHIPPING NOW!!!
Introductory Price $649 ($749 with turbocharger)
How to order See below
Attached Images

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : December 18th, 2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:01 PM
Hsu Research

VTF-2 Mk3

Class Leading +/- 2db @ 18Hz frequency response Measured outside and away from reflective boundaries
Only subwoofer in class to have variable port tuning Choice of maximum output/widest dynamic range or maximum extension/deepest bass
12 driver Refined over several years time, very reliable, high excursion, high mid/upper bass headroom
1000 watts peak amplifier power Highest headroom amplifier in class (4x Peak-to-RMS ratio)
Full-featured amplifier Bypassable 24 dB/Oct crossover, continuously variable 30-90Hz low pass filter, high level and low level inputs
DUAL 3 ports with wide flares Moves up to 2x as much low-turbulent air vs other subwoofers in class per a given port tuning
Patent-pending turbocharger ready Moves as much air as TWO of the same subwoofer with port plug for a given level of port noise
Patent-pending mid-bass module ready Wider dynamic range, lower intermodulation distortion, reduced room effects, higher output, higher sound quality
22x15x23 HxWxD Ideal endtable height and minimized width for nice profile
Well-braced and solid enclosure
Introductory Price $469
How to order See below
Attached Images

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : December 18th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:04 PM
Hsu Research

VTF-1

+/- 1db @ 25Hz frequency response Measured outside and away from reflective boundaries
10 driver Refined over several years time, very reliable, high mid/upper bass headroom
800 watts peak amplifier power Highest headroom amplifier in class (4x Peak-to-RMS ratio)
DUAL 3 ports with wide flares
19.5x14x18 HxWxD Minimized width for nice profile
Solid enclosure
Introductory Price $379
How to order See below
Attached Images

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : December 26th, 2006 at 7:16 PM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:06 PM
Hsu Research

MBM-12

Patent-pending Mid-Bass Module -- Wider dynamic range, lower intermodulation distortion, reduced room effects, higher output, higher sound quality
Designed to be placed nearfield for use with true subwoofer Maximum impact, reduced room effects, no dip in frequency response from using true subwoofer in nearfield position
>120db output at the listening position with virtually no output compression
+/- 2db from 50-150Hz frequency response
12 driver Ultra-light cone woofer designed specifically to handle mid and upper bass range with very high efficiency, sound quality and output
1400 watts peak amplifier power (4x Peak-to-RMS ratio)
Full-featured amplifier Bypassable 24 dB/Oct crossover, continuously variable 50-150 Hz low pass filter
Single 4 port with huge flare
19x14x18 HxWxD Minimized width for nice profile
Solid enclosure
Introductory Price $399
How to order See below
Attached Images

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : December 11th, 2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:08 PM
Hsu Research

HC-1

Horn Center channel Controlled directivity horn for high sensitivity, high power handling, and excellent microdynamics/imaging/sound quality on and off-axis
Two 6.5 woofers Excellent damping properties, tight and accurate sound
High sensitivity 92 dB/1m/2.83V measured in half space
Designed for use in 5/6/7 channel systems with HB-1 Horn Bookshelf speakers ($125 introductory price, see here: http://www.hsustore.com/hb-1.html)
60Hz-20Hz frequency response
8x23x10 HxWxD (9 Height with base)
Solid enclosure
Introductory Price $179
How to order See below
Attached Images

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : December 11th, 2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:11 PM
Hsu Research

There are two ways to order these new products right now (until the new website is up later in the month):

1) Send an email to sales@hsuresearch.com (preferred method), including:

a. Full name
b. Shipping address
c. Phone number related to shipping address
d. Phone number so that you can be reached during business hours
e. Model number(s) of products you are interested in purchasing

2) Call us at 1-800-554-0150, 9am-5pm Pacific Standard Time

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : December 12th, 2006 at 9:21 PM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:13 PM

RonL is on a distinguished road
Peter,

Great news!

I see that the dimensions for the VTF-3HO and VTF-3 Mk3 are identical. How would you compare the VTF-3HO and VTF-3 Mk3? What are the differences? What considerations should be taken into account when deciding which is best for the customer?

I also see that your page now provides a 10% discount on the VTF-2 Mk2 and VTF-3 Mk2.
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:21 PM
Hsu Research

Dear Ron,

VTF-3 Mk3 and VTF-3 HO are very similar in some senses. Both are very strong in the deep bass. The VTF-3 HO is a bit cleaner in the deep bass due to the lower distortion driver, but the VTF-3 Mk3 is punchier in the mid/upper bass. Can't go wrong with either of them, especially with an MBM-12 in the mix.

Yes, VTF Mk2 are discounted now. Also, STF-1 we will sell for $249 base price.

Sincerely,
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:26 PM

Peter,

Thanks.

Assuming cost wasn't a consideration, would a VTF-3HO + MBM-12 or VTF-3 Mk3 + MBM-12 yield better performance?

From your description, it sounds like the VTF3 Mk3 trades some clean deep bass for improved mid/upper bass, but if the MBM-12 is thrown into the mix, does that matter? That is, does the improved mid/upper bass of the VTF3 Mk3 even enter the equation when the mid/upper bass is routed to the MBM-12?
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:34 PM

jephdood is on a distinguished road
Well this is an interesting development..
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:34 PM
Hsu Research

Dear Ron,

VTF-3 HO + MBM-12 would be a bit better in the deep bass, but maybe not dramatically so.

I wouldn't say that VTF-3 Mk3 trades clean deep bass for higher mid/upper bass. Rather, the VTF-3 Mk3 driver doesn't use the linear BL motor technology found on the VTF-3 HO driver. Even so, the VTF-3 Mk3 is amazingly strong at 20Hz, and even very strong at 16Hz.

At 20Hz, a VTF-3 Mk3/t is as strong and subjectively clean as DUAL TN1220HO, I kid you not! And the VTF-3 Mk3 is every bit as strong in the mid/upper bass as the VTF-3 Mk2.
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:38 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood
Well this is an interesting development..
I agree
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:38 PM

gotchaforce is on a distinguished road
oh my lordy

peter how well does the VTF2 MKIII stack up against an STF3 w/ max extension and port plug???

hell.. how well does a VTF3 MKIII stack up against an STF3 w/ max extension and port plug?? im assuming it reaches as low, and does so with considerably more output??

the VTF3 MKIII is making me drool because i can buy a turbo charger for it when i get the funds and be able to blow my house down later
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:41 PM
Hsu Research

gotcha, the VTF-2 Mk3 in extended bass mode vs. STF-3 w/ port plug would be very similar in performance. The STF-3 would have a slight power advantage though.

Sincerely,
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Even so, the VTF-3 Mk3 is amazingly strong at 20Hz, and even very strong at 16Hz. At 20Hz, a VTF-3 Mk3/t is as strong and clean as DUAL TN1220HO!
Thanks again. It's late, so just two more questions...

First, what does this statement mean -- "World's first truly modular subwoofer series Future proof design" ? Is the "modular" a reference to the MBM-12, or does it suggest the possibility of [pay] driver upgrades a few years down the line?

Second, how do the VTF-3 Mk2, VTF-3 Mk3, and VTF-3HO compare in terms of output at 20Hz and 25Hz?
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks
gotcha, the VTF-2 Mk3 in extended bass mode vs. STF-3 w/ port plug would be very similar in performance. The STF-3 would have a slight power advantage though.

Sincerely,
whoops you reply to darn fast, i had yet another question, i edit my posts 5+ times to get to my "final product".. im weird like that (i think this is my hundred and first question of the month )
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:53 PM

"1400 watts peak amplifier power Highest headroom amplifier in class (4x Peak-to-RMS ratio)"... I assume this means (carry the 1..) 350W RMS?

"The VTF-3 Mk3 driver doesn't use the linear BL motor technology found on the VTF-3 HO driver"... Peter, can you explain this technology and its resulting benefit over what the driver in the VTF-3 MK3 is capable of?

Lastly, how would you compare the performance of a VTF-3 HO without turbo and a VTF-3 MK3 with turbo?
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:56 PM
Hsu Research

Ron,

World's first modular subwoofer series means: ability to upgrade porting, enclosure, driver, amplifier, mid-bass headroom, deep bass headroom. In a sense, one can theoretically upgrade every critical component of their subwoofer, using a modular approach.

Note that the VTF-3 Mk2, VTF-2 Mk2, and STF-3 all have the capability of taking advantage of these same modular items as well!

As for performance differences, stay tuned.

Sincerely,

Peter

Last edited by Pete_Hsu : December 11th, 2006 at 9:08 PM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:57 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce
whoops you reply to darn fast, i had yet another question, i edit my posts 5+ times to get to my "final product".. im weird like that (i think this is my hundred and first question of the month )
Laughing out loud, thank you for the reminder about the edit! VTF-3 Mk3 (without turbo) will be as good as dual STF-3 (in fixed extended bass mode) in the deep bass. With turbocharger, it would be comparable to FOUR of them!
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:58 PM

adriankelly is on a distinguished road
I can tell you this much I have dual VTF3-MK2's and I cheated and used my VTF2-MK2 setup nearfield with the High pass filter set to 50-150 hz so I think it should be close to what the MBM-12 is capable of and although I might miss a bit of the extreme lows that the HO offers, the low punch is there and the midrange is smooth as silk . Congratulations on the new line up, looks very impressive. I pity you over the next few days the questions you are about to receive . Thats ok you can sleep next week. Good Luck Peter. Scott
Old December 11th, 2006, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Laughing out loud, thank you for the reminder about the edit! VTF-3 Mk3 (without turbo) will be as good as dual STF-3 (in fixed extended bass mode) in the deep bass. With turbocharger, it would be comparable to FOUR of them!
is this april fools day or something if this is for real then i think i need a new pair of pants..

seriously i just have a shop vac sucking up all the drool on the floor since its like flood gates here

alright ONE MORE QUESTION (until i think up another one..)

whats with the feet on the VTF3 MKIII?? looks like no carpet spikes (which is a good thing for me since i dont even use em on my hardwood floor)
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:02 PM
Hsu Research

Dear jephdood,

Your math is correct! For a good explanation of the XBL^2 (trademark of Adire Audio) linear BL motor technology featured on the HO, see these pages:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2TechPaper.pdf

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

Trust me, I am a big fan of this technology. Put it in the hands of someone like Dr. Hsu, and some really great things can happen!

Tough question about VTF-3 Mk3/t vs VTF-3 HO non-turbo. Where driver excursion demands are highest in the deep bass, at some point above tuning where port contribution is little, then the HO should have lower harmonic distortion. However, near port tuning, the Mk3/t would have a definite edge.
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:03 PM

He thought he could sneak this product announcement in late at night and not be bombarded with so many questions right away. Thought we'd all be sleeping, didn't ya Peter!

HA!
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:07 PM
Hsu Research

Thank you for the words of support and wisdom, Scott! Your setup is still awesome, and a bit more powerful than dual VTF-2 Mk3 or dual STF-3. I appreciate you taking the mid-bass module concept and applying it to what has been readily available for a while (note that VTF-2 Mk2 has very good mid/upper bass headroom!). This means that you are actually one of the first people to really try out the concept. I would love to hear more feedback from you about how it improved the sound quality of the system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriankelly
I can tell you this much I have dual VTF3-MK2's and I cheated and used my VTF2-MK2 setup nearfield with the High pass filter set to 50-150 hz so I think it should be close to what the MBM-12 is capable of and although I might miss a bit of the extreme lows that the HO offers, the low punch is there and the midrange is smooth as silk . Congratulations on the new line up, looks very impressive. I pity you over the next few days the questions you are about to receive . Thats ok you can sleep next week. Good Luck Peter. Scott
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:10 PM
Hsu Research

I swear, this is not april fools or anything like that

VTF-3 Mk3 uses the same rubber feet as the VTF-3 HO, so that should work well for you!

Quote:
is this april fools day or something if this is for real then i think i need a new pair of pants..

seriously i just have a shop vac sucking up all the drool on the floor since its like flood gates here

alright ONE MORE QUESTION (until i think up another one..)

whats with the feet on the VTF3 MKIII?? looks like no carpet spikes (which is a good thing for me since i dont even use em on my hardwood floor)
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:10 PM

Quote:
He thought he could sneak this product announcement in late at night and not be bombarded with so many questions right away. Thought we'd all be sleeping, didn't ya Peter!

HA!
the only reason i checked the forums was my hsu sense was tingling

i knew something was up..
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:11 PM
Hsu Research

That is quite amazing, how these senses work!
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:14 PM

the hardest decision now is do i want one of these babies in maple or in black...

oh, and another question (sorry), if i get the VTF3 MK3 without turbo, and i order it two or three months down the line, do i have to pay extra for it?
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:15 PM

All these new VTF's are downfiring?

Great... now I'm not going to get any sleep tonight what with all the pondering I'll have to do.
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:17 PM
Hsu Research

Dear gotcha,

Quote:
the hardest decision now is do i want one of these babies in maple or in black...

oh, and another question (sorry), if i get the VTF3 MK3 without turbo, and i order it two or three months down the line, do i have to pay extra for it?
Yes, turbocharger is $199 when sold separately. So you save $99 when purchasing it with the subwoofer.

Sincerely,
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:19 PM
Hsu Research

VTF-3 Mk3 is sidefiring (like the HO), while all the rest are downfiring.

Hope you get some sleep jeph!

Quote:
All these new VTF's are downfiring?

Great... now I'm not going to get any sleep tonight what with all the pondering I'll have to do.
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:20 PM

Cheers to Peter for passing the 1,000 post plateau.
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:20 PM
Hsu Research

Thank you for pointing that out, I had no idea! Pure coincidence too!
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:22 PM

Quote:
VTF-3 Mk3 is sidefiring (like the HO), while all the rest are downfiring.

Hope you get some sleep jeph!
Quote:
Dear gotcha,

Yes, turbocharger is $199 when sold separately. So you save $99 when purchasing it with the subwoofer.

Sincerely,
its side firing?? on the right side i suppose? (our right). I hear side firing or front firing woofers are better for hardwood floors because hardwood floors dont handle down firing that well....

you are about to bankrupt me, this should be illegal!
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:24 PM
Hsu Research

We have no legal disclaimers on the Mk3 packaging, so you could Hsue us!
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:26 PM

Quote:
We have no legal disclaimers on the Mk3 packaging, so you could Hsue us!
Peter, that was SOOOOO corny.

Well done.
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:26 PM

well im not bankrupt just yet.. it all depends on your opinion on side firing woofers vs down firing on hardwood. $750 vs $470..
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:28 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Peter, that was SOOOOO corny.

Well done.
Laughing out loud, sorry about that jephdood. I just love making a play on Dr. Hsu's name, LOL
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:30 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
well im not bankrupt just yet.. it all depends on your opinion on side firing woofers vs down firing on hardwood. $750 vs $470..
If using the downfiring woofer, I would recommend something like a throw rug be placed beneath it, otherwise the feet can buzz and cause non-harmonically related distortion products to creep in. Tough decision, although you get your money's worth either way!
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
Well....I have had the a VTF-3MK3 prototype for almost 1.5 years. After CES 2005, Dr. Hsu offered it to me for testing. The VTF-3MK3 is essentially the inards of a VTF-3MK2 in the body of the VTF-3HO.

My older sub was the original VTF-3. The 3MK3 is punchier and more dynamic than my older sub(which is now at my Parents'), those were the qualities I first noticed. It is very effortless and articulate, but my room is only 14x18x8.5. The kicker is how much output there is at 16hz in my room.....before chickenning out, and with correction to the RS SPL meter, I got 105dB at 16hz(with turbo) at the listenning position which is approximate 11' from the sub.....I need to have someone come in with a calibrated mic to get a proper measurement.

I love the sub and I don't think there is a better deal right now.

If any of you are in the LA area, you more than welcome to check it out. Mine is not production, so it does not have feet, and the Turbo needed a little work to get it to seal properly......but it all works great! I have thrown everything at the sub with no problems.

Last edited by cschang : December 11th, 2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Hsu Research

Correction Curtis, technically that was a VTF-3 HO prototype
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM

I'm still having a hard time knowing what to buy, the VTF-3 HO or VTF-3 Mk3.

Either way, I plan to order the MBM-12.
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Hsu Research

Ron, the VTF-3 Mk3 is the better value right now, I must admit.
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:09 PM

so VTF-3 mk3 with a turbo charger... is it going to just make the decibels raise across the board? or is it going to be able to reach lower and such? (as opposed to a VTF3 mk3 without a turbo charger)

ill be honest, the turbo charger looks pretty goofy, im kinda wary of getting it
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Hsu Research

Turbocharger doubles the port cross-sectional area in extended bass mode vs. plugging one port with a port plug. This means that the air now has double the amount of space to move through, which reduces air velocity and leads to much less port turbulence-related noise and much less output compression near port tuning.
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Dear gotcha,

Sincerely,
Something that would be cool.. and perhaps you folks would consider this in the future.. For someone that buys a product that has a turbo option available.. give them 30 days after receipt of their sub to order the turbo at the reduced rate. Afterwards, the reduced option goes away. Gives the buyer a chance to evaluate for themselves in-room whether or not they're looking for that little bit more from their purchase or if it's enough the way it is.

Just a thought..
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Something that would be cool.. and perhaps you folks would consider this in the future.. For someone that buys a product that has a turbo option available.. give them 30 days after receipt of their sub to order the turbo at the reduced rate. Afterwards, the reduced option goes away. Gives the buyer a chance to evaluate for themselves in-room whether or not they're looking for that little bit more from their purchase or if it's enough the way it is.

Just a thought..
the problem is i bet people underestimate the hsu sub and then when they get it home without the turbo, they suddenly think its already compressing my room do i really neeeeed that turbo?
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
the problem is i bet people underestimate the hsu sub and then when they get it home without the turbo, they suddenly think its already compressing my room do i really neeeeed that turbo?
From a consumer point of view, this is a good thing.

I see people underestimating the capability of a sub alone and so they buy the turbo along with it.. when in reality they didn't need the add-on.

From a sales point of view, this is probably a good thing.

But, we should only buy what we really need. And the only way to really tell what we need is to get the foundation - the sub itself - in-house first and see if we need more.
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
From a consumer point of view, this is a good thing.

I see people underestimating the capability of a sub alone and so they buy the turbo along with it.. when in reality they didn't need the add-on.

From a sales point of view, this is probably a good thing.

But, we should only buy what we really need. And the only way to really tell what we need is to get the foundation - the sub itself - in-house first and see if we need more.
actually i just realized you can probably do this already

order the sub with turbocharger, test it out, if you dont think you need it, call up hsu, and tell them youre shipping the turbo back. the turbo doesnt weigh much AFAIK so it shouldnt cost *that* much to ship

speaking of shipping weight, how much do the VTF3 and the VTF2 weigh peter? just wondering how many times im gonna break my back carrying this up the stairs
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
actually i just realized you can probably do this already

order the sub with turbocharger, test it out, if you dont think you need it, call up hsu, and tell them youre shipping the turbo back. the turbo doesnt weigh much AFAIK so it shouldnt cost *that* much to ship
Technically, yes.. you can try it out with the return policy. But, at the added cost of shipping both ways. Plus the risk of letting UPS handle it one more time. You're playing with fire there.

I'm just saying, it would save both ends a lot of trouble by providing a small "grace period" to buy the turbo extension at the package price, if desired.

I know that if I had this as an option, I'd be buying something tonight.
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Technically, yes.. you can try it out with the return policy. But, at the added cost of shipping both ways. Plus the risk of letting UPS handle it one more time. You're playing with fire there.

I'm just saying, it would save both ends a lot of trouble by providing a small "grace period" to buy the turbo extension at the package price, if desired.

I know that if I had this as an option, I'd be buying something tonight.
do they include the turbo in the shipping costs?? im not really sure

anyways, before i hit the sack, i made this diagram of a certain problem im running into.. space constraints!

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/237...ilemma1jv0.jpg

this is a little mini diagram of the corner where im putting the sub

the red area is the room where i can scoot the sub around.. with the VTF3 i only got 4" from the back wall, and 2" from the side of my desk. The VTF2 would have quite a bit more breathing room (well.. about 3" worth)

is it enough??
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:56 AM

tkc is on a distinguished road
Always exciting to see new products like the Mk3's!

Peter, I see that 24 db/oct crossovers are implemented in these amps. I assume this refers to low-pass filtering for the subwoofers. Will the amps for the Mk3's include high-pass filtered outputs at all, for use in systems with no crossover built-in?
Old December 12th, 2006, 5:26 AM

BradJudy is on a distinguished road
I didn't see any comparisons between the VTF-3 Mk2 and VTF-3 Mk3 (or same comparison for the VTF-2). Do the Mk2's and Mk3's have essentially the same performance in a different box?
Old December 12th, 2006, 5:27 AM

steveko23 is on a distinguished road
Price...

How long will the introductory price be good for?

Thanks!
Steve
Old December 12th, 2006, 5:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJudy
I didn't see any comparisons between the VTF-3 Mk2 and VTF-3 Mk3 (or same comparison for the VTF-2). Do the Mk2's and Mk3's have essentially the same performance in a different box?
Brad, due to the larger enclosure and more porting, the MK3 outperforms the MK2 significantly.
Old December 12th, 2006, 6:02 AM

Ilkka is on a distinguished road
Do MK2 and MK3 share the same driver and amp?
Old December 12th, 2006, 6:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka
Do MK2 and MK3 share the same driver and amp?
The VTF-3MK2 and VTF-3MK3, from what I understand, do have the same driver and amp.
Old December 12th, 2006, 6:34 AM

JHixson is on a distinguished road
I have been trying to decide in my open floorplan house whether I would be better served with an MBM or a second HO. Now there are too many options if I decide to go with a second sub. I can see possible advantages of going either way, having an MBM nearfield or the second sub either nearfield or up front.

This is a great anouncement for Hsu after the problems they had getting the HO to market releasing a new lineup before Christmas is awsome just do not know if I have any extra money. At least I have my HO and an SMS-1 was just delivered to my office.
Old December 12th, 2006, 6:40 AM

Ilkka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang
The VTF-3MK2 and VTF-3MK3, from what I understand, do have the same driver and amp.
Thanks!
Old December 12th, 2006, 6:44 AM

LQQK is on a distinguished road
I have been following the 'The Ultimate subwoofer shootout gets closer' thread over at AV123 and seeing how the "VTF-3 HO" is holding its own,,now this new version gets announced and actually I was waiting on the final results of a 'VTF-3 HO and the MBM-12' test over there.

So~~~~~~For a high 90% usage in a HT environment~~~~~~Which set up do you recommend.

LQQK
Old December 12th, 2006, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Brad, due to the larger enclosure and more porting, the MK3 outperforms the MK2 significantly.
What about sound quality? How does the new enclosure impact that? I'm not really concerned about output since my area isn't that large and either way I would have plenty.
Old December 12th, 2006, 7:08 AM

Ajax
I don't post here much, but I just wanted to offer my congratulations to all concerned. Great products, fabulous prices. With so many new subs hitting the market, this is really an incredibly exciting time for bass nuts. Glad to see HSU firmly in the mix. http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gif

Poor Craigsub. Here goes more of his dough!
Old December 12th, 2006, 8:14 AM

buddhadas is on a distinguished road
I currently own a STF3, would I be better served to just get a midbass module or jump into the VTF3-MK3? I have been looking forward to the "christmas specials" this is more than I was thinking was possible. Thanks Peter! I certainly wouldn't mind a nice Christmas present to myself.

Thanks,
Jim
Old December 12th, 2006, 9:28 AM
Administrator

Dr_Hsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Correction Curtis, technically that was a VTF-3 HO prototype
Actually Curtis has the VTF-3 MK3 - the early CES sample Curtis got have the VTF-3 MK 3 components!
Old December 12th, 2006, 9:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What about sound quality? How does the new enclosure impact that? I'm not really concerned about output since my area isn't that large and either way I would have plenty.
As I understand it, from the VTF-3MK2 to the VTF-3MK3 is much like what I experienced from my MK1....punchier and more dynamic, and cleaner.
Old December 12th, 2006, 9:47 AM

JonnyOzero3 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I'm floored. Congrats to everyone at Hsu - it must feel good to have such a solid launch Now, please send one of each new unit to Ilkka so we can start sorting out how these are all different....

Edit- so the HO version of the VTF-3 gets you the linear motor driver, and more power, but that's about it, right? Damn, that -3 Mk3 is a good deal. However, for what it's worth, I think the VTF-2MK3 will be a sleeper - $469 with the 12"er....wow.
Old December 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhadas
I currently own a STF3, would I be better served to just get a midbass module or jump into the VTF3-MK3? I have been looking forward to the "christmas specials" this is more than I was thinking was possible. Thanks Peter! I certainly wouldn't mind a nice Christmas present to myself.

Thanks,
Jim
That depends on whether you want quite a bit mid to upper bass headroom or more headroom across the board.
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:12 AM

skriefal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If true, then it should be possible for a VTF3-Mk2 owner to upgrade to a VTF3-Mk3 by swapping the driver & amp into a new Mk3 enclosure. The cost of the enclosure might make this infeasible, but I'm curious if it'll be possible at some point.
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Sorting this all out....

I thought this might help sort out the physical differences (lord knows I needed to sort it out for myself )...edit: let me know if anything is wrong. Is the MBM supposed to have it's own unique cabinet? Or is it missing a half inch on height?

(add $100 to each for with turbo price)

New Lineup
VTF-3 HO....12" XBL2 driver...500w amp...dual 4" ports...21.5”x17”x25” HxWxD...9137.5 cu in....93lbs - $899
VTF-3 Mk3...12" driver..........350w amp...dual 4" ports...21.5”x17”x25” HxWxD...9137.5 cu in....90lbs) - $649 (intro) - Now $699
VTF-2 Mk3...12" driver..........250w amp...dual 3" ports...22.0”x15”x23” HxWxD...7590 cu in.......80lbs) - $469 (intro) - Now $499
VTF-1.........10" driver..........200w amp...dual 3" ports...19.5”x14”x18” HxWxD...4914 cu in.......56lbs) - $379 (intro) - Now $399
MBM-12......12" light driver....350w amp...one 4" port.....19.0”x14”x18” HxWxD...4788 cu in.......47lbs) - $399 (intro) - Now $499

Old Lineup for comparison's sake:
VTF-3 Mk2...12" driver..........350w amp...dual 3" ports...22.0”x15”x23” HxWxD...7590 cu in.......80lbs) - $699 (now $559)
STF-3.........12" driver..........300w amp...dual 3" ports...22.0”x15”x23” HxWxD...7590 cu in.......78lbs) - $599 (now $479)
VTF-2 Mk2...10" driver..........250w amp...dual 3" ports...19.5”x14”x18” HxWxD...4914 cu in.......57lbs) - $499 (now $399)
STF-2.........10" driver..........200w amp...one 3" port.....19.5”x14”x18” HxWxD...4914 cu in.......44lbs) - $399 (now $319)
STF-1.........8" driver............150w amp...one 3" port.....19.0”x11”x16” HxWxD...3344 cu in.......35lbs) - $299 (now $249)

Last edited by JonnyOzero3 : February 5th, 2007 at 3:33 PM. Reason: added old lineup
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:44 AM

My Prediction....

The future, unseen VTF-2HO changes to the:
VTF-1 HO.....10" XBL2 driver.....300w amp...dual 3" ports...19.5x14x18 HxWxD...4914 cu in.......xxlbs) - $449 (intro)

Boy do I have lots of free time today....I should get a hobby....oh wait...yeah
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:23 PM

DNelms is on a distinguished road
Talking

Congratulations to Dr Hsu and the staff over at Hsu world Headquarters.

I am so glad to see all of the fantastic new and improved products. The VTF-1 sounds like a great sub deal!

I cannot wait to get a chance to see and hear these new subs for myself. i am glad to see the MBM-12 finally in production!

Now what did my wife do with that checkbook? Can I use my good looks as a down payment? Well, that wouldn't get me much anyway.....
Old December 12th, 2006, 1:02 PM

tman is on a distinguished road
Question Need help choosing VTF2 Mk3 vs. STF3. Can you help me???

I was trying to decide system. I want bass extension to 18Hz. I was all settled on STF3 on 20% clearance (you mentioned $50 mods that can make it go to 18Hz), but now you have VTF2 Mk3 which is same price.

How does one choose between the two?

I have a large box shaped living room+kitchen+dining, 8ft ceiling, 18ft wide, ~40ft long. Lots of window, hardwood floor. Setting up for movie theatre either in corner of room or along one of the longer walls. We will sit 10 ft from the subwoofer and TV with wall 8ft behind us and 6 ft at most from sub.

How much subwoofer is required for home theatre?

Thanks for any input. I want to purchase soon.
Old December 12th, 2006, 1:13 PM

Tman-

I discovered that after living with a sub that was set to max extention (low bass output) that once I switched over to max output my Home Theater experience greatly increased. The reason I bring that up is do you really need a sub that will troll down to 18hz or will you be happy with 20hz?

The STF-3 is a great sub. So is the VTF-2. If possible try an audition one or both before you by. I have a STF-3 and a VTF-3MKII, my mom has a STF-3, and one of by best friends has a STF-3 and we are all as happy as pigs in (a blanket?). That being said a good friend bought the VTF-2, has it in his open room. Sounds great, but he wishes for the -3 for more power.

That being said the current sale on the STF-3 is an excellent value, and you may not even need the modification.
Old December 12th, 2006, 1:26 PM

dferrey is on a distinguished road
It sure would be nice to see some graphs showing the responses from some great bass movie scenes comparing the new VTF-3 Mk3 and VTF-3 HO. And while I'm dreaming, included just for me would be a TN1220. Oh, and the first two would be with and without turbo.

Okay, back to my nap :

I'm willing to make the graphs, I just need someone to send me the VTF-3 Mk3 and VTF-3 HO subs.
Old December 12th, 2006, 2:52 PM

Eddie Horton is on a distinguished road
New Hsu subs? This is great news for BluRay!!! Wait, wrong forum. In all seriousness, a big congrats to the Dr., Peter, and the rest of the staff. My VTF-3MkII has been going strong for 2.5 years, but it looks like it may be time for an upgrade. Twin VTF-3MkIII's and twin MBM-12's sound like an almost unbeatable setup for the price.
Old December 12th, 2006, 3:18 PM

jakerd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal
If true, then it should be possible for a VTF3-Mk2 owner to upgrade to a VTF3-Mk3 by swapping the driver & amp into a new Mk3 enclosure. The cost of the enclosure might make this infeasible, but I'm curious if it'll be possible at some point.
I was wondering the same thing. Since having just recently purchased a VTF3-Mk2. If not.... How can I explain an upgrade to my wife? I'm dead!
Old December 12th, 2006, 3:46 PM

ThomasV is on a distinguished road
I know you guys just announced these, but since they are the same drivers and enclosures reshuffled, will there be supply problems?

Any reviews coming - Ilkka, Craig?

Any places on east coast to hear these new units?

What are the pros AND cons of larger enclosures?
More ouput, more extension, less distortion etc.

Any charts and graphs?
Old December 12th, 2006, 4:44 PM

kingtut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well....I have had the a VTF-3MK3 prototype for almost 1.5 years. After CES 2005, Dr. Hsu offered it to me for testing. The VTF-3MK3 is essentially the inards of a VTF-3MK2 in the body of the VTF-3HO.

My older sub was the original VTF-3. The 3MK3 is punchier and more dynamic than my older sub(which is now at my Parents'), those were the qualities I first noticed. It is very effortless and articulate, but my room is only 14x18x8.5. The kicker is how much output there is at 16hz in my room.....before chickenning out, and with correction to the RS SPL meter, I got 105dB at 16hz(with turbo) at the listenning position which is approximate 11' from the sub.....I need to have someone come in with a calibrated mic to get a proper measurement.

I love the sub and I don't think there is a better deal right now.

If any of you are in the LA area, you more than welcome to check it out. Mine is not production, so it does not have feet, and the Turbo needed a little work to get it to seal properly......but it all works great! I have thrown everything at the sub with no problems.
Now we know who can REALLY keep a secret.
Old December 12th, 2006, 4:51 PM

Ahh yes, that's another one of Curtis "The S Stands for Tight LipS" Chang's secret super powers...
Old December 12th, 2006, 5:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut
Now we know who can REALLY keep a secret.
To be honest....there have been a more than few people that have been to my house to listen to my speakers. When they saw the sub, I asked them to keep hush, and they all obliged. So I thank them as well.
Old December 12th, 2006, 5:22 PM

Yes I did, do I get a prize? Am MBM-12 maybe? Oh well, were is that checkbook?
Old December 12th, 2006, 6:42 PM

is there a way to set pages in this forum?? waiting for 80 posts to load every time isnt very fun...

alright im going to pull the trigger on the vtf3 or the vtf2, but first, what is the shipping for each of them?
Old December 12th, 2006, 7:31 PM
Hsu Research

Shipping is $25 for turbocharger, $27 for MBM-12, $27 for VTF-1, $53 for VTF-2 Mk3, and $90 for VTF-3 Mk3.
Old December 12th, 2006, 9:32 PM

damn thats what i was worried about.. i soooo want the VTF-3 MK3, but for us CA residents its $560 for VTF2 vs $800 VTF3. $800 just shoots a hole in my wallet

the VTF3 is something like 1.8x the output of a VTF2 though huh

it will be tough deciding if its worth the extra $240
Old December 12th, 2006, 9:41 PM
Hsu Research

Go with the VTF-2 Mk3, gotcha. It should hold it's value well, and will give you something great to use until you are comfortable reaching into higher budgets. Even if you got the VTF-3 Mk3, eventually you may be tempted to get turbocharger, MBM-12, etc!
Old December 12th, 2006, 9:42 PM

tman is on a distinguished road
Sorry if I missed this, but curious what the tradeoff is for using VTF-2 Mk3 with turbo vs. VTF-3 Mk3. In one case ports bigger, amp bigger; other case you have the turbo. Is that the only difference? What is the tradeoff?

Thanks!
Old December 12th, 2006, 9:43 PM
Hsu Research

By the way, in case you guys didn't see this, we are now shipping these new products factory direct to Canada!

http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2386
Old December 12th, 2006, 9:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
damn thats what i was worried about.. i soooo want the VTF-3 MK3, but for us CA residents its $560 for VTF2 vs $800 VTF3. $800 just shoots a hole in my wallet

the VTF3 is something like 1.8x the output of a VTF2 though huh

it will be tough deciding if its worth the extra $240
are you close enough where you can pick the sub up yourself?
Old December 12th, 2006, 9:48 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman
Sorry if I missed this, but curious what the tradeoff is for using VTF-2 Mk3 with turbo vs. VTF-3 Mk3. In one case ports bigger, amp bigger; other case you have the turbo. Is that the only difference? What is the tradeoff?

Thanks!
tman, the difference between those two is enclosure size and porting. VTF-3 Mk3 has significantly more internal volume, which means higher deep bass efficiency. VTF-3 Mk3 also has dual 4" ports. Even with turbo, the VTF-2 Mk3 would not be quite as good in the deep bass as the VTF-3 Mk3, although it would be much closer than without the turbo!
Old December 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
are you close enough where you can pick the sub up yourself?
nope, im up in san jose, which is about a 7 hour drive from hsu

Quote:
Go with the VTF-2 Mk3, gotcha. It should hold it's value well, and will give you something great to use until you are comfortable reaching into higher budgets. Even if you got the VTF-3 Mk3, eventually you may be tempted to get turbocharger, MBM-12, etc!
whats funny is just about a week ago if you remember i was going to order the STF-3, but instead i ordered the elemental design eD a5-300, but thats now shipping in JANUARY and i dont feel like waiting all that long! :P (gonna have to make up a sob excuse) The VTF2 MK3 is near the STF3 with max extension mod (which is what i was going to get), so a week ago i was more than pleased with that, but NOW i have a craving for more deep bass from the VTF3 mk3
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Shipping is ...$90 for VTF-3 Mk3.
Ah, it didn't occur to me that the larger box would increase the VTF-3 shipping cost by $37.
Old December 13th, 2006, 6:09 AM

LQQK is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I have the older VTF-3...& a UFW-12 in my HT, I use both but the VTF-3 carries most of the bass duties (UFW-12 can't hang with the VTF-3 for HT)

Would this scenario work or even make sense??

VTF-Mk3 W TURBO, sell the UFW-12 and use the VTF-3 for Near field duty????

LQQK
Old December 13th, 2006, 6:48 AM

I think a deal on taxes or maybe shipping would be a nice idea for us left coasters! When I purchased my Ascends, Dave ate the cost of shipping for me because I live in California. Peter? Dr. Hsu???
Thanks,
Jim
Old December 13th, 2006, 6:57 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhadas
I think a deal on taxes or maybe shipping would be a nice idea for us left coasters! When I purchased my Ascends, Dave ate the cost of shipping for me because I live in California. Peter? Dr. Hsu???
Thanks,
Jim
Jim, as Curtis mentioned, if you are close to Anahiem, you can always pick up the subs directly. Isn't Fair Oaks near Pasadena? If so, that is not too far of a drive down to Hsu World HQ.
Old December 13th, 2006, 7:03 AM

I wish.

Nope, I'm east of Sacramento.
Old December 13th, 2006, 7:14 AM

broodwich is on a distinguished road
What's the shipping cost on the HC-1?
Old December 13th, 2006, 9:17 AM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ah, it didn't occur to me that the larger box would increase the VTF-3 shipping cost by $37.
Yep it's the same enclosure as the HO with the VTF-3 MKII amp and driver so the weight is probably pretty close to the HO's weight. The HO is $95 shipping and the 3-MKIII is $90. The extra $5 for the HO is probably due to the HO driver & amp weighing more the the 3-MKIII driver & amp.

VTF-3 MKII shipping weight: 80lbs
VTF-3 HO shipping weight: 115lbs

I'd guess the VTF-3 MKIII is around 105lbs + the larger size(it's one big box) = $90 fedex charges to ship

Old December 13th, 2006, 9:55 AM

achy1234 is on a distinguished road
gotchaforce,

i am in san jose too, and i am interested in vtf2-m111. Maybe we can combine shipment to see if we can save on shipping .... and even check with Dr. Hsu to see if we can get some kind of discount ...

Dr. Hsu ??

-achy

Quote:

whats funny is just about a week ago if you remember i was going to order the STF-3, but instead i ordered the elemental design eD a5-300, but thats now shipping in JANUARY and i dont feel like waiting all that long! :P (gonna have to make up a sob excuse) The VTF2 MK3 is near the STF3 with max extension mod (which is what i was going to get), so a week ago i was more than pleased with that, but NOW i have a craving for more deep bass from the VTF3 mk3
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:00 AM

ThomasV is on a distinguished road
You guys just got a pricedrop across the line and general improvement and now you want a pricedrop..
give them an inch an they take a mile.
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelms
Jim, as Curtis mentioned, if you are close to Anahiem, you can always pick up the subs directly. Isn't Fair Oaks near Pasadena? If so, that is not too far of a drive down to Hsu World HQ.
hehehe...you were thinking of Fair Oaks Ave. in Pasadena.
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Nothing wrong in trying to save few bucks, is it Mr. thomasV ??
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just think....make an appointment, take a day off of work, drive down to Hsu, sample all the subs, buy the one you want without shipping costs, drive home, not have to wait for delivery, set up your sub, wake up the neighbors, go to bed.
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achy1234
gotchaforce,

i am in san jose too, and i am interested in vtf2-m111. Maybe we can combine shipment to see if we can save on shipping .... and even check with Dr. Hsu to see if we can get some kind of discount ...

Dr. Hsu ??

-achy
Why not set up a road trip?
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
hehehe...you were thinking of Fair Oaks Ave. in Pasadena.
Yup. I do know some folks who live in Fair Oaks though, but I just could not remember where it was.
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM

too funny!

A road trip does sound fun, a side trip to Santa Barbara wouldn't be too bad either.
Old December 13th, 2006, 1:06 PM

Road trip !!! Cool .... but unfortunately too busy with other stuff ...

on another note ... i am settling on vtf-mk3 with everything (tx+ship) around 560 ..... its around 60 more than my budget but what the heck .... right ?

BTW - STF-3 with discounts etc would be marginally higher .. is that the way to go or still VTF2-MK3 is the better choice ?? Any pointers ??

-achy
Old December 13th, 2006, 2:34 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
Congrats Dr Hsu & Peter. I am so glad to see that Peter didn't say a thing until now.
Old December 13th, 2006, 2:48 PM

ordering a VTF2-MK3.. cannot wait!
Old December 13th, 2006, 4:38 PM
Hsu Research

That's a good question achy. Do you have a fairly large room (close to 4500 ft^3) and envision yourself just running the subwoofer in one tuning mode? Then the STF-3 is perfect. If you want some added flexibility in having a switch on the amp to set one tuning mode or another, then VTF-2 Mk3 is perfect.

Congrats gotcha, we are very much looking forward to your first impressions!

Sincerely,
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:02 PM

Thanks Peter for your comments. I think i am going to order the VTF2-MK3.

-achy
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:03 PM
Hsu Research

Good choice my friend!
Old December 14th, 2006, 6:18 AM

jwill242004 is on a distinguished road
Peter if I added a Turbocarger to the vtf2 MK3, would that allow it to keep up with (or get close to) the performance of the 3 MK3? If I chose the 2 MK3 and added the Turbocharger would it still be just a $100 upgrade? S that then would bring the cost w/ shipping to $622, which is still about $120 less than the 3 MK3 without the turbocharger. Or is there a seperate shipping charge for the turbocharger if ordered at the same time? Even if so, then the cost would still be $647 if you add an additional $25 to ship the turbocharger, still much less than the shipped 3 MK3 for $740.

Bare with me as im about to make this purchase and I want to make sure I cover every question.
Thanks for all of your help BTW
Old December 14th, 2006, 8:18 AM
Hsu Research

Hello jwill,

Adding a turbocharger to VTF-2 Mk3 (which would add $100 to the price, plus $25 shipping) would definitely help it get much closer to the VTF3- Mk3. However, the latter would still have the edge in the deep bass, due to the differences in internal volume and porting. Good point about the price differences though. You would definitely be getting your money's worth with either of them!
Old December 14th, 2006, 8:28 AM

Tuckfro is on a distinguished road
STF-2 or VTF-1mkIII?

Peter,

I want to replace my Yamaha "sub" that is in my living room <3000 cu. ft. I was wondering if I should go with the STF2 on sale or the VTF1? They look like they would perform similarily. Would the option of turbo that the VTF would give be the better choice or will the STF2 be more than enough? I know that any of your offerings will best my current one-note wonderless, but am wanting to know which of these two would be the best choice.

Thanks in advance.
Old December 14th, 2006, 8:40 AM
Hsu Research

tuckfro, the STF-2 is a tremendous value at 20% off, but the black is now sold out and out of stock (note that the STF-2 in silver is available). if you need a black or maple subwoofer, then VTF-1 will be perfect. Any of our 10" models would be great in a room that size!
Old December 14th, 2006, 8:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill242004
Peter if I added a Turbocarger to the vtf2 MK3, would that allow it to keep up with (or get close to) the performance of the 3 MK3? If I chose the 2 MK3 and added the Turbocharger would it still be just a $100 upgrade? S that then would bring the cost w/ shipping to $622, which is still about $120 less than the 3 MK3 without the turbocharger. Or is there a seperate shipping charge for the turbocharger if ordered at the same time? Even if so, then the cost would still be $647 if you add an additional $25 to ship the turbocharger, still much less than the shipped 3 MK3 for $740.

Bare with me as im about to make this purchase and I want to make sure I cover every question.
Thanks for all of your help BTW
The VTF-3 MK3 has significantly better performance. You do get 350W instead of 250W, you get higher efficiency from the larger enclosure, less low bass compression (larger ports), and you have an upgrade path to even more powerful low bass by adding the turbo to the VTF-3 MK3. Note that port compression and noise occurs when the narrowest part start to get turbulence. With the VTF-2 MK3, the internal ports will be the limiting factor. Adding the turbo certainly helps a lot, but still far short of the VTF-3 MK3 with turbo.
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
tuckfro, the STF-2 is a tremendous value at 20% off, but the black is now sold out and out of stock (note that the STF-2 in silver is available). if you need a black or maple subwoofer, then VTF-1 will be perfect. Any of our 10" models would be great in a room that size!
Correction - the new models will be available in Maple, but not till February or so.
Old December 14th, 2006, 1:18 PM

Liaury
Dr. Hsu,
Congratulation on the new line of MK3 and the HO. Hope you can find some time for some R & R.

Mr. Marcks,
Looks like you'll be busy for awhile.
Old December 14th, 2006, 3:41 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I finally ordered the VTF2-MK3 today ... should see it early next week... will update you guys when i have had a chance to take it through the rounds ...

-achy
Old December 14th, 2006, 5:09 PM
Hsu Research

I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for the kind and supportive words, it is a pleasure to see that! And I hope you all enjoy the product!
Old December 14th, 2006, 5:28 PM

dferrey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for the kind and supportive words, it is a pleasure to see that! And I hope you all enjoy the product!
As an old customer (1999 TN1220) who's considering an upgrade, I appreciate you and Dr. Hsu posting here, answering questions and providing your thoughts and insights.
I wonder, however, how many potential customer visit your home page and products page and move on without seeing this new exciting news in the forums section.
Old December 14th, 2006, 5:36 PM
Hsu Research

Yes dferrey, I hear you. The new website will be active this month, with all the new products listed there!
Old December 14th, 2006, 6:30 PM

jmprader is on a distinguished road
Geez, I don't check in for a few days and almost missed all the fun.

Nothing like a hard rollout up and down the product line to shakeup the marketplace. I know the HO turbo rollout was difficult but this puts the shoe on the other foot...looks like a very solid move.

Hope you sell a gazillion...of each

...trying hard to be a subwar pacifist
Old December 14th, 2006, 8:12 PM
Hsu Research

Thanks John, much appreciated! Hope you are enjoying your dual VTF-3 HO's
Old December 14th, 2006, 8:42 PM

SeattleDucks is on a distinguished road
I've been living with the newest version of the SVS PB12-NSD for the last few months, but have felt that it may be lacking a bit in dynamics and musicality (not as much texture, detail and nuance to bass as I had hoped for, at least in my room). I've been reading quite a few comments in various reviews and forums about HSU subs being very musical and when I came upon craigsub's recent subwoofer comparions I was extremely impressed with how the VTF-3 HO was performing way beyond its price. Then last night I got on this forum for the first time and saw the anouncement of the new VTF-3 mk3 and at the $649 intro price it looks like an unbelievable value and a no-brainer so I placed my order for one today.

I can't wait to get this beast fired up and calibrated and run through movie and music tests, and I suspect the VTF-3 mk3 is going to give me most of the performance and quailty I've been yearning for.
Old December 14th, 2006, 8:44 PM

Peter I hope your there, I am about to suck it up and order the VTF3MK3, I am going to add the turbocharger and I wanted to know if I had to pay the additional $25 for SH for the turbo as well as the $90 SH for the MK3??
Old December 14th, 2006, 8:58 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleDucks
I've been living with the newest version of the SVS PB12-NSD for the last few months, but have felt that it may be lacking a bit in dynamics and musicality (not as much texture, detail and nuance to bass as I had hoped for, at least in my room). I've been reading quite a few comments in various reviews and forums about HSU subs being very musical and when I came upon craigsub's recent subwoofer comparions I was extremely impressed with how the VTF-3 HO was performing way beyond its price. Then last night I got on this forum for the first time and saw the anouncement of the new VTF-3 mk3 and at the $649 intro price it looks like an unbelievable value and a no-brainer so I placed my order for one today.

I can't wait to get this beast fired up and calibrated and run through movie and music tests, and I suspect the VTF-3 mk3 is going to give me most of the performance and quailty I've been yearning for.
SeattleDucks, I really appreciate your show of confidence in us. We are all very much looking forward to your first impressions! In the meantime, send an email to techsupport with a detailed drawing of your room, and Dr. Hsu will personally give you some placement and setup recommendations.

Thank you again, and a big welcome to the forum!
Old December 14th, 2006, 9:00 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Peter I hope your there, I am about to suck it up and order the VTF3MK3, I am going to add the turbocharger and I wanted to know if I had to pay the additional $25 for SH for the turbo as well as the $90 SH for the MK3??
jwill, there is an extra $25 for shipping on the turbocharger. But it really is a good investment if you think about it, because otherwise you would have to purchase TWO VTF-3 Mk3's (run in extended bass mode with port plug) to have similar deep bass capability! Also, if one decided they don't need the turbocharger, it would be very easy to sell the unit for as much or more than the $125 that it costs in the first place.
Old December 14th, 2006, 9:09 PM

Quote:
SeattleDucks, I really appreciate your show of confidence in us. We are all very much looking forward to your first impressions! In the meantime, send an email to techsupport with a detailed drawing of your room, and Dr. Hsu will personally give you some placement and setup recommendations.

Thank you again, and a big welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the warm welcome Peter! My decision was made all the more easy by the great communication I see from you and Dr. Hsu on this forum. I will be sure to post a follow-up after I receive the 3mk3 and get some much-anticipated listening in. Should I post it here or in a different thread?
Old December 14th, 2006, 9:26 PM

Seattle.....I narrowed my selection to two subs, the SVS PB12NSD and the VTF3MK3, and I chose the MK3 which I will be placing my order for tomorrow. This decision was a hard one to make and seeing your problems you encountered with the NSD re-affirms my decision for the MK3. Good luck with it and I will also be posting my feedback without a doubt right here in this thread. Im so excited sleeping will be tough tonight for sure.

Also Peter im not sure im capable of a drawing outlining my room via email, however when I spoke with DR HSU the other day I think I remember him saying something about faxing my drawing to him and he could tell me best placement options, is that correct??
Old December 14th, 2006, 9:39 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome Peter! My decision was made all the more easy by the great communication I see from you and Dr. Hsu on this forum. I will be sure to post a follow-up after I receive the 3mk3 and get some much-anticipated listening in. Should I post it here or in a different thread?
Most definitely you should post in a new thread, SeattleD, so that you can have some of the limelight all to yourself!
Old December 14th, 2006, 9:41 PM
Hsu Research

Quote:
Seattle.....I narrowed my selection to two subs, the SVS PB12NSD and the VTF3MK3, and I chose the MK3 which I will be placing my order for tomorrow. This decision was a hard one to make and seeing your problems you encountered with the NSD re-affirms my decision for the MK3. Good luck with it and I will also be posting my feedback without a doubt right here in this thread. Im so excited sleeping will be tough tonight for sure.

Also Peter im not sure im capable of a drawing outlining my room via email, however when I spoke with DR HSU the other day I think I remember him saying something about faxing my drawing to him and he could tell me best placement options, is that correct??
Absolutely jwill, you can fax a drawing to us: 1-714-666-9261

Other ways to do it would be either through email (techsupport), or a post on this forum (where one can attach their picture).

Have a great night gentlemen...
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
jwill, you made the decision I should have the first time. In August I had narrowed it to the VTF-3 mk2 and the PB12-NSD and from the research it looked like the SVS might go a little deeper and play a little louder than the mk II (probably was wrong on that, and certainly no way it would keep up with the new mk3). At first I was pretty pleased with the SVS since it was my first good sub, but over time I started to realize its sound was a little too thick and slow for my tastes and dynamically it ran out of steam on demanding DVDs in my large open room. Did more reading and kept seeing comments from lots of different people about the great transient speed and musical detail of the HSU subs, and last night when I discovered here the introduction of the VTF-3mk3 with specs and performance deemed to be darned close in many repscts to the more expensive HO that Criagsub was blown away by, I just had to go for it.

So congratulations on your purhcase jwill, and I will be looking for your comments also when you've had a chance to listen to yours.

And thank you to Dr. Hsu for making the improvements in the 3mk3 and for offering it at such an incredible price!

Last edited by SeattleDucks : December 14th, 2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:14 PM

S.Cane is on a distinguished road
Hmm, decisions decisions, what to do. Just when I had my mind made up on a pair of VTF-3 HO's, here comes the new VTF-3 MK3's.

I'd love to pull the trigger on a pair of those HO's, but man the value of the 3 MK 3's is almost too good to pass up on.

I know this much though, the turbo add on will not be an option for me, which torks me off to say the least, but it can't be helped. Due to the way I've designed my theater, my subs will be positioned up front under my screen, and well, simply put, there just won't be enough room/space for the turbo's to sit on top of those subs. So sadly, and unfortunately for me, I'm just hosed in that regard.

In other words, whether it be a pair of VTF-3 HO's or a pair of VTF-3 MK3's, it'll be just that, a pair of either or, without the turbo add on. http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...lies/frown.gif
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:24 PM

Man that sucks, having a budget like that and not being able to go all out because of space limitations must be frustrating. Adding the turbo to my MK3 for an extra $125 is creeping slightly away from my budget and its KILLING me not to order it. Worst case scenerio fortunately is to wait a little while and suck up the $100 difference sometime down the line when its more affordable for me. By then I will have forgotten about this purchase and it will not be a problem.

Man I cant wait to get The Doc on the phone tomorrow and place this order. Hopefully I find an extra $100 in the laundry tomorrow morning!
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane
Hmm, decisions decisions, what to do. Just when I had my mind made up on a pair of VTF-3 HO's, here comes the new VTF-3 MK3's.

I'd love to pull the trigger on a pair of those HO's, but man the value of the 3 MK 3's is almost too good to pass up on.

I know this much though, the turbo add on will not be an option for me, which torks me off to say the least, but it can't be helped. Due to the way I've designed my theater, my subs will be positioned up front under my screen, and well, simply put, there just won't be enough room/space for the turbo's to sit on top of those subs. So sadly, and unfortunately for me, I'm just hosed in that regard.

In other words, whether it be a pair of VTF-3 HO's or a pair of VTF-3 MK3's, it'll be just that, a pair of either or, without the turbo add on. http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/ima...lies/frown.gif
S.Cane, the turbo is probably out for me as well due to not passing the W.A.F. If you had two VTF-3mk3's co-located I believe you would gain 6db more headroom not just in the depest bass but across the entire freqrency spectrum that the subs are handling, isn't that correct? So even without turbos that would be ALOT of high-quality sound and maximum SPL capability for only $1298! And having a total of four 4" ports would certainly move a lot of air and provide some nice pressurizing ability.
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Man that sucks, having a budget like that and not being able to go all out because of space limitations must be frustrating. Adding the turbo to my MK3 for an extra $125 is creeping slightly away from my budget and its KILLING me not to order it. Worst case scenerio fortunately is to wait a little while and suck up the $100 difference sometime down the line when its more affordable for me. By then I will have forgotten about this purchase and it will not be a problem.

Man I cant wait to get The Doc on the phone tomorrow and place this order. Hopefully I find an extra $100 in the laundry tomorrow morning!
I hear ya jwill, and yes it is very frustrating for me. I do have an out though. I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading my screen to a 2.35 screen. I currently have a 1.78 screen, more commonly known as a 16.9. If I do that, I can go even bigger then what I have now, but gain space in terms of height, which would allow for the turbo add on's, since 2.35 screens are wider then they are tall. Of course that does depend on just how big you actually go, but according to my math, I can go as large as 136" and still have room for the turbo add on's. If not, then most defiantly with a 120".

If, on the other hand, I stick with my 16.9 screen, well then I'm hosed and there will be no option for the turbo add on, unless I downgraded in size, and that isn't happening. lol

It is a very tough call though, because if I do upgrade my screen to a 2.35 screen in order to allow for the turbo add on's, well then that would also mean the purchase of an Anamorphic lens, which would be another $1200 on top of the new subs and turbo's. Let's face it, any way I slice and dice it, I'm hosed. lol
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
S.Cane, the turbo is probably out for me as well due to not passing the W.A.F. If you had two VTF-3mk3's co-located I believe you would gain 6db more headroom not just in the depest bass but across the entire freqrency spectrum that the subs are handling, isn't that correct? So even without turbos that would be ALOT of high-quality sound and maximum SPL capability for only $1298! And having a total of four 4" ports would certainly move a lot of air and provide some nice pressurizing ability.
Hey Seatleducks,

Off topic, but I have to say, I love Seattle. I used to head up that way once a year to climb those lovely mountains.

Anyways, yes, and to be quite honest with you, I'm really not overly bothered with the fact of not being able to order the turbo's. I'd really love to, who wouldn't, but I really don't feel as if I'm going to be missing out on a whole lot. And if I am, well there's not much I can do about it anyways. lol

My new theater room, which is almost finished, is 24'X13', with a 7'.5" ceiling. I think a pair of VTF-3MK3's will rule and provide everything that I'll need/want. I can only hope anyways. I'm also contemplating ordering a pair of MBM-12's as well, but that decision has yet to be made.
Old December 15th, 2006, 5:13 AM

If I wanted to ditch my TV and go with a projctor and screen, whats a really affordable way to do it, something with a farely large screen and a crisp clear picture??
Old December 15th, 2006, 5:51 AM

TAllen01
Depends on what "affordable" means to you. I would not go for anything that is not HD, personally. The Panasonic projectors get good reviews, and I have one that I love, but has been replaced with a newer model. You can pick on up fro about $1700 after rebate, and you can make your own 8 foot screen with very little effort for about $100 in materials (a 4 x 8 sheet of melamine-type material from a home improvement store, some pearl, silver and white paints from Michaels, and some black velvet for the border from your local fabric store).
Old December 15th, 2006, 6:49 AM

well I would certainly consider that affordable, are you able to adjust the size of the picture projected to match your screen size that you choose? Or does the projector come pre set for a certain sized screen? I have seen a few HD projectors and they are unreal. Does the projector have an input for a normal satellite box such as DirecTV HD box?
Old December 15th, 2006, 8:53 AM

TAllen01
Yes, that is one of the advantages of the Panasonic model that I have (AE900U). I assume the updated version has it as well. Very flexible in placement, with a 2x zoom feature, so you can move it around and still maintain the same size screen. Mine has HDMI in, 2 components in, S video in, and an RGB in (and probably more). In fact, I am using a DirecTV HD box with mine. Check out projectorcentral.com and see what they have to say.
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Hey thanks for the info, I might have to upgrade to a 100" screen to accomodate all of the bass that my VTF3 MK3 (that I JUST ordered this morning) will put out.
Old December 16th, 2006, 5:54 AM

TAllen01
jwill, I agree. You definitely have the sub to match an outstanding video system. I would upgrade to a larger screen since it seems to be within your budget, and you will not be unhappy! I went to avsforum.com, DIY screen section, and found the materials and paint formulas.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 4:35 AM

brian32672 is on a distinguished road
Sorry Peter, I just noticed this...
And have not been keeping up with the audio world (back into computers ATM)

And, not that I need a upgrade.. But may go ahead with the u.g.

Looking at this..
VTF-3 Mk3...12" driver..........350w amp...dual 4" ports...21.5x17x25 HxWxD...9137.5 cu in....xxlbs) - $649 (intro)

Website says 90lbs.

I have the PB VTF3-MK2... (mine measures at 82bs)

Are there any graphs on the new line (VTF-3 Mk3...12" driver)?

Also, how long on the int. price? (EDIT:: Intro already gone-699.00)

If it proves to be a good trade off for me - then the other will be up for sale guys...
It is the Piano Black (and still has the plastic on the top)
But local pick-up only (sorry) (Florida)

Last edited by brian32672 : January 2nd, 2007 at 4:52 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 7:59 AM
Ask for a demo

lradden is on a distinguished road
The new VTF-3 MK3 uses the same 350 watt amp and 12" driver from the VTF-3 MK2 with the enclosure from the new VTF-3 HO.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 9:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian32672
Also, how long on the int. price? (EDIT:: Intro already gone-699.00)
Intro price is still there.....ie $50 discount.
Old January 6th, 2007, 9:44 AM

ukrosie31 is on a distinguished road
Tough decision for home theater

With the VTF MK3's improvements, I have a tough decision to make, please help steer me in the right direction. I already have a VTF-3 MK2 for my audio only system in my study and love it. I'm now in the process of building a home theater in the basement of my new home; room dimension 21'Lx19'W with a 7'-8" front half ceiling height and 7' back half of the room ceiling height. I'm also building it with acoustic walls and staggered wood beams, etc...

With price always a consideration (keep the intro prices going for a while longer please), what combination or single subwoofer do I go with (I,m keeping the VTF-3 MK2 sub upstairs for my audio only room)?:
1. a pair of VTF-3 MK3s
2. a single VTF-3 MK3 turbo or HO/turbo
3. a pair of VTF-2 MK2s
4. or just a single VTF-3 MK3
Old January 6th, 2007, 2:55 PM
Hsu Research

ukr, I would probably lean towards getting a single VTF-3 Mk3/HO with turbocharger placed farfield handling 15-50Hz, and an MBM-12 placed nearfield next to the primary listening position handling 50-80Hz.

Sincerely,
Old January 11th, 2007, 7:42 AM

aht3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks View Post
VTF-3 Mk3

· World's first truly modular subwoofer series – Future proof design
· Class Leading +/- 2db @ 18Hz frequency response – Measured outside and away from reflective boundaries
· Only subwoofer in class to have variable port tuning – Choice of maximum output/widest dynamic range or maximum extension/deepest bass
· 12” driver – Refined over several years time, very reliable, high excursion, high mid/upper bass headroom
· 1400 watts peak amplifier power – Highest headroom amplifier in class (4x Peak-to-RMS ratio)
· Full-featured amplifier – Bypassable 24 dB/Oct crossover, continuously variable 30-90Hz low pass filter, high level and low level inputs
· DUAL 4” ports with huge flares – Moves up to 2x as much low-turbulent air vs other subwoofers in class per a given port tuning
· Patent-pending porting technology – Designed to minimize turbulence associated with port bend
· Patent-pending turbocharger ready – Moves as much air as TWO of the same subwoofer with port plug for a given level of port noise
· Patent-pending mid-bass module ready – Wider dynamic range, lower intermodulation distortion, reduced room effects, higher output, higher sound quality
· 21.5”x17”x25” HxWxD – Ideal endtable height and minimized width for nice profile
· Heavily-braced and solid enclosure – Two large braces to support box and bent porting structure
· No-cost finish options – Black or Maple (available only in Black right now)
· 7 year warranty on woofer, 2 year warranty on amplifier
· Hard Launch – SHIPPING NOW!!!
· Introductory Price – $649 ($749 with turbocharger)
· How to order – See below
Peter,
Since I am so new, can you put together something like this for the VTF-3 MK2 or is there something like already available? Also...is there any reall difference in sound btween the VTF-3 MK# and the VTF-3 MK2?

Thanks,

Last edited by aht3 : January 11th, 2007 at 8:01 AM.
Old January 13th, 2007, 9:44 PM
Hsu Research

aht, welcome! The VTF-3 Mk2 would be the same as the VTF-2 Mk3 but with 1400w peak instead of 1000w peak power (350w RMS instead of 250w RMS power).
Old January 15th, 2007, 5:10 PM

Vertigo is on a distinguished road
I'm looking into getting a sub soon and considering the VTF-2 MK3 and VTF-3 MK3. Is there any word when they'll be available in maple?

Thanks
Old January 15th, 2007, 6:07 PM
Hsu Research

Vertigo, we are hoping to have them sometime in February. Thanks for asking!
Old January 17th, 2007, 4:33 AM

pbcsd is on a distinguished road
Peter,

Any chance HSU will be offering the HO in a rosewood finish (as it did with the VTF-R a couple years back)? Would definately improve up on the WAF and help us guys with "picky" wives!!

Steve
Old May 8th, 2007, 7:56 PM

dpt is on a distinguished road
Hi Peter,
I was wondering if the introductory special on the vtf-2mk3 with the turbo or the vtf3 mk3 special was going on. I am local and definitely want to pick one of these guys up. I need to upgrade my sub in a bad way.
PS3 with 60g HD
Oppo 970HD DVD player
Dell XPS M1210 via vga and spdif
Direct TV HD DVR and receiver
LSI 15 fronts
Lc265i center
Rti28 surrounds
PSW 202 subwoofer
Old May 8th, 2007, 9:44 PM
Administrator

Give me a call and we will see what we can do for you.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:37 AM

tonester is on a distinguished road
hi peter/dr. hsu

I recently started having the upgrade bug for my home theater again. I've been doing some research through various A/V forums on subwoofers. I've narrowed down my preference to either a HSU Research sub or a SVS. I was pleasantly surprised to find HSU Research located right in my own backyard (so.cal). I, too, like the previous member (dpt) was wondering if the VTF-3 MK3 special was still on? It seems like I might have had the upgrade bug too late since this thread was started in 12/06. I would definitely be driving down to Anaheim to pick up one of these bad boys, in order to get it the same day.

btw, my current sub is a Dayton Audio 10" sub and my room size is about 19' x 20' x 8.5'.

thanks
Old May 10th, 2007, 5:43 AM
Administrator

Come on down and give the VTF-3 MK3 a listen. We can discuss pricing when you are here.
Old May 10th, 2007, 9:42 AM

tonester is on a distinguished road
dr. hsu,

i will come down soon, probably in the next couple of weeks. Who should I ask for?

thanks
tony
Old May 10th, 2007, 9:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonester View Post
dr. hsu,

i will come down soon, probably in the next couple of weeks. Who should I ask for?

thanks
tony
You should call and make an appointment.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator

You can ask for Alan, Leo, or me. As Curtis said, best to make an appointment.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Tigerkn is on a distinguished road
3.3 Advice

Please help.....

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=3369
Old August 7th, 2007, 8:36 AM

Bob Hablutzel is on a distinguished road
My Couch Quakes!

I bought the VTF-3 MK3 recently, and for movies Dr. Hsu recommended near placement directly behind my sofa. I placed it there for the first time last night to view Master And Commander, and he wasn't kidding! With that 12" side woofer firing into, and just inches behind, my seatback, the couch and I were definitely doing the hippy hippy shake! Mahvelous!!!
Old November 17th, 2007, 5:32 PM

jagangitam is on a distinguished road
I wanna buy an STF2. Any holiday sale this year.
Old November 17th, 2007, 5:38 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
I could sell you mine. - It is in mint condition.
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM

J0e3gan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up VTF-3 HO/VTF-3 Mk3 Rubber Feet Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post
I swear, this is not april fools or anything like that

VTF-3 Mk3 uses the same rubber feet as the VTF-3 HO, so that should work well for you!
(...bad choice of words in my post's title. :-) I simply mean the rubber feet kick butt. Forgive me; I'm a California native who's spent too much time at the beach! :-D)

I just purchased a VTF-3 HO, and I can positively tell you that the rubber feet are wonderful - much appreciated on my hardwood floors. These models are so substantial that the rubber feet will do well on carpet too, padded or not.

Last edited by J0e3gan : February 28th, 2008 at 4:12 PM.
Old February 28th, 2008, 2:52 PM

Thumbs up Dr. Hsu's Recommended Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hablutzel View Post
I bought the VTF-3 MK3 recently, and for movies Dr. Hsu recommended near placement directly behind my sofa. I placed it there for the first time last night to view Master And Commander, and he wasn't kidding! With that 12" side woofer firing into, and just inches behind, my seatback, the couch and I were definitely doing the hippy hippy shake! Mahvelous!!!
I just moved my new VTF-3 HO behind my sofa like Dr. Hsu recommends too: holy cow! I was impressed by my new HO yesterday, placed as a makeshift coffee table just before my feet (because I simply couldn't wait). I said after sampling 10 CDs and a couple movies - and I still maintain - that it's the best consumer electronics purchase I've ever made for the money - in my life. (My history of such purchases is dizzying by anyone's standards.) Well, after relocating my new HO behind my sofa, I'm simply dumbfounded. Talk about visceral impact!

Here are a couple highlights after relocating my HO as advised. When the corrections bus rolled down the hill in The Fugitive, I felt like it finally landed on my couch - personally unprecedented. :-D Then, of course, when the bus was subsequently slammed by a train, it felt more like the train hit my couch than most of my guests may honestly be able to handle. (Forget them, though!) ;-) For once - finally - I didn't feel sorry for my sub(s) (previously two Definitive Technology ProSub 1000s, not exactly slouches) or feel distracted through the entire sequence, which I've probably seen upwards of 50 times: it was wonderful! (Be clear that I wouldn't feel sorry for my HO regardless where I put it. Relocating it just made the experience so convincing, so much more intense, that I finally knew what I'd been waiting for all the times I'd watched that scene (and crossed my fingers at the volumes I like)!) Madonna's Rain shook me and the sofa enough to make me feel like I'd experienced a localized, sustained earthquake. My extremities were literally slightly abuzz afterward - and after motorcycling 70 miles through mountain roads everyday on a screaming 2006 Yamaha R6 and thumping 2007 Honda XR650L, I know darn well how buzzing extremities feel! Best of all, the song sounded better top-to-bottom, was more moving, than I've ever experienced. Lord, seriously help me when I get to Peter Gabriel's Us! :-| :-)) LOL

Oh, my listening room is roughly 20' wide (22' front, 18' back, due to an intruding bathroom)... :-D ...by 16' deep (averaged like width but more involved, starting with 15' of closets) by 10' high (well, except for a 3' x 5' patch leading into the kitchen that's elevated 5 inches). :-P It has hardwood floors, two 5' x 8' area rugs, roughly 3' x 20' of windows, and 6' x 20' of curtains; all other surfaces are wood or painted drywall; and it contains a few treadmills (for me and my dogs), a large exercise bike, a Bowflex, an end table I use as a coffee table, and about 10' x 6' x 1' of plastic shelving. I've spaced the couch 2" from my HO('s grille) as Dr. Hsu further advises; and I've set my HO's volume to 10 o'clock in high-output mode. Also, my "couch" is actually a wood-framed leather loveseat. ;-)

Last edited by J0e3gan : February 29th, 2008 at 6:57 AM.
Old February 28th, 2008, 3:48 PM
Hsu Research

That's brilliant stuff, Joe

I can't wait to hear what your girlfriend has to say about it

Thanks again for describing your experience so eloquently. Your CD collection is amazing, and it will be nice to bring that out again after all these years...

By the way, after you left the demo room, one of the guys who helps out at the office (and happens to be 18 years old) said "that music was so cool, I love Metallica"!
Old February 28th, 2008, 5:05 PM

Talking My Girlfriend's Feedback and "...And Justice for All"

Quote:
That's brilliant stuff, Joe

I can't wait to hear what your girlfriend has to say about it

Thanks again for describing your experience so eloquently. Your CD collection is amazing, and it will be nice to bring that out again after all these years...

By the way, after you left the demo room, one of the guys who helps out at the office (and happens to be 18 years old) said "that music was so cool, I love Metallica"!
:-)) LOL Ah, I forgot my girlfriend! (WARNING: You may forget those special to you for a while after purchasing a HSU sub.) Her response last night was immediate.
"Holy cr_p! That thing dwarfs those puny subs you had before!" (...the Definitive ProSub 1000s.)

"Do you mean it dwarfs their size or their sound?"

"Sh_t - both! There's no comparison!"
See why I love my girlfriend? :-D

Thanks regarding my CDs, Pete. I didn't even bring up my endless Jeff Buckley discs! ;-)

That's cool that one of your younger staff members liked what I played - ...And Justice for All and 311's Transistor if I recall. Yep, I like some of everything; and ...And Justice for All's double bass drums, centered at 50 Hz are one of the best mid-bass agility tests for a sub (or live experiences) I've ever heard - not to mention Harvester of Sorrow's synthesized bass wave, a bit like the one in The Matrix when the elevator doors blow off prior to Morpheus's rescue. :-) As for Transistor, What Was I Thinking's opening bass riff is another solid agility and timbre test I know well, along with the entire album.

BTW, testing is really an experiment of course: variable control is the key. I always start with what I know best, what I've heard again and again on endless systems for many years - to focus on the variable(s) of true interest to me.

Using this methodology, my tests reveal that my HO has completely transformed my system, retroactively stomped my impressions of all others I've experienced, and redefined my expectations going forward. There's simply no other way to put it. Things to which I've listened critically for upwards of 25 years (like Hank Williams, Jr.'s Habits Old and New, which I've probably heard more than a thousand times since I was eight - though critical listening admittedly came later. ;-) Heck, back then I still liked my Peter Rabbit record best!), have never sounded this good - on my old Linn Axis or Marantz CD player with an Adcom GFP-565(?) preamp, Forte 4B amp (or the Adcom or Brystons I owned before them), Thiel CS.5's (or their predecessor Definitive towers or B&W bookshelves, Martin Logans with integrated "subs" or KEF or Phase Tech towers I demoed for a bit etcetera), and end-to-end Kimber interconnects and speaker cables - on my old car system with top-end MB Quart 3-way separates pumped by 160 Alpine watts RMS (or their predecessor sets of Boston Acoustics and MB Quart mid-grade, two-way separates that I blew with Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, and John Coltrane: stupid wimpy tweeters!), a Soundstream 3-way active crossover, a Boston Pro 10.0 sub in a top-notch 3-cubic-foot, sealed enclosure hit by 600 continuous Soundstream watts, Soundstream interconnects and speaker cable, Streetwires power wiring, and custom, fiberglass door panels with isolated woofer, mid, and tweeter enclosures - on anything I've ever owned, demoed (with minor, totally unfair exceptions), or otherwise heard previously - period.

...more to come for sure! Thanks, Pete. :-D

Last edited by J0e3gan : February 29th, 2008 at 8:58 AM.
Old February 29th, 2008, 8:59 AM
Hsu Research

Laughing out loud, joe, your girlfriend's reaction was just priceless!

It's been so long since I heard some of the songs that you played, and let me tell you, those albums are just awesome. The drumming on And Justice for All is just amazing, and the 311 tracks were extremely well recorded and sounded sweet.

Those were the days, when rock music ruled the world...
Old February 29th, 2008, 3:17 PM

Thumbs up VTF-3 HO/VTF-3 Mk3 Rubber Feet on Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0e3gan View Post
(...bad choice of words in my post's title. :-) I simply mean the rubber feet kick butt. Forgive me; I'm a California native who's spent too much time at the beach! :-D)

I just purchased a VTF-3 HO, and I can positively tell you that the rubber feet are wonderful - much appreciated on my hardwood floors. These models are so substantial that the rubber feet will do well on carpet too, padded or not.
I've now moved my VTF-3 HO onto an area rug behind my couch. The rubber feet are still 100% planted.
Old October 1st, 2009, 8:55 PM

andythomas is on a distinguished road
recommended subwoofer

hello
Has anyone teamed up any of the HSU subs with any of the Magneplanar speakers? I own a pair of MG III speakers and love them. Powered by a Bryston 4B I use them for both music and Movies.
The room is 16x18 feet with 8.5 foot ceiling.
Thanks for your help.
Best Regards
Andy
Old October 22nd, 2009, 6:58 PM

MagFan is on a distinguished road
Got 'em

I use a VTF2mk3 w/MG 1.6s to great success.
The room is very weird, having 8 sides and a vault ceiling. total size is well over 5000ft cubed.
Old March 12th, 2010, 8:06 AM

manu4panjab is on a distinguished road
just order vtf2 mk3 arriving in between 25 to 30 march(i'm from india)
Old June 28th, 2012, 1:01 AM

rolling18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ron,

World's first modular subwoofer series means: ability to upgrade porting, enclosure, driver, amplifier, mid-bass headroom, deep bass headroom. In a sense, one can theoretically upgrade every critical component of their subwoofer, using a modular approach.

Note that the VTF-3 Mk2, VTF-2 Mk2, and STF-3 all have the capability of taking advantage of these same modular items as well!

As for performance differences, stay tuned.

Sincerely,

Peter
WELL SIR!!,
now that a few years have gone by and technologies/ specs have changed,
is my VTF-3 MK.3/ turbo USER upgradable to your BEST 12" woofer?
is the mk3 amp upgradable to the new Q series or highest amp available?
how would a woofer from another brand work? (JL, polk, focal, ect ect.)
thank you sir
Marc
Oppo 93
Mac mini media server
Analysis Plus wiring
dedicated Power lines
Shunyata Talos
Jriver18
VTF-3mk4 w/turbo!!
Old June 28th, 2012, 5:52 AM
Administrator

Yes, you can upgrade the woofer and amp to bring it up to the full VTF-3 MK4 specs by buying the latest woofer and the VTF-3 MK4 amp. Woofer from another brand will most likely not work as they are not designed for your enclosure.
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:11 AM

rolling18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hsu View Post
Yes, you can upgrade the woofer and amp to bring it up to the full VTF-3 MK4 specs by buying the latest woofer and the VTF-3 MK4 amp. Woofer from another brand will most likely not work as they are not designed for your enclosure.
ok so where would I find a price list for the upgrade amp and driver?
and Port Plugs?
is there any "exchange " discount?
Oppo 93
Mac mini media server
Analysis Plus wiring
dedicated Power lines
Shunyata Talos
Jriver18
VTF-3mk4 w/turbo!!