HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Speakers and Subwoofers
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 6th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Matt_Smi is on a distinguished road
Question about "hit you in the chest" bass, MBM-12 needed?

This is a term used quite frequently when talking about subs, but I am not sure everyone has the same definition of what it means. I consider it to be the type of impact that comes from a sub that can play very loud, clean and tight, the bass can actually be felt in your chest, similar to how a firework can be felt when it goes off during a professional display. I am not talking about boomy car stereo subs, this is a different type of impact, one you actually feel in your stomach so to speak. I have never heard a sub that can do this, besides in a particularly good move theater I have never gotten this effect, and I am pretty sure my STF-2 is not cable or producing it. It’s a great sub and you can defiantly feel clean impact from it, but it just cannot play loud enough or move enough air to get this effect. I guess my question if who gets this effect from their subs? Can a VTF-3 MK3 create this? Or do you need an HO? I know Curtis said this about the HO “What is most impressive is its ability to "hit you in the chest" during the laser scene in WOTW.” I really want my next sub to be able to “hit me in the chest” during impacts in my medium sized room (18Lx11Wx8H) and if it takes an HO I would be willing to throw down.

Last edited by Matt_Smi : December 13th, 2007 at 8:11 AM.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM

majorloser is on a distinguished road
I have two (2) VTF3-HO's with the turbos in a room that is only a little bigger than yours. Not only do you "feel it in your chest" but a friend that I had over this week to check them out commented, "They made the pants leg of his jeans vibrate from across the room."

Then I hit him with Finding Nemo - Darla.

That made his jaw drop
Old April 6th, 2007, 2:49 PM

RatFarm is on a distinguished road
The 'hit your chest' type bass is centered around 100-150Hz. Any good 'musical' sub should deliver this cleanly. In this range, the VTF3.3 may have the advantage in sheer output vs HO. According to Dr Hsu, the cone mass of the HO is greater leading to less efficiency in the mid-bass region. Both the 3.3 and HO dig below 20Hz easily.
Old April 6th, 2007, 3:33 PM

MichaelG is on a distinguished road
VTF 3.2

I have the VTF3MKII and do not get that chest thumping bass. Would this be achieved with the addition of a turbo?

Michael
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM

monomer is on a distinguished road
I don't really know what some of these often repeated phrases mean... like "hit you in the chest bass"...
but if I just look at what has already be written I can conclude that a sub swap isn't the answer. That 'chest thumping bass' is a higher frequency phenomenon (as has been reported on many other audio forums though the precise frequencies responsible has been up for debate)... assuming its found somewhere between 80Hz-150Hz it would seem to be directional to some extent. Most people with a reasonable set of mains will cross-over at 80Hz or lower to avoid directionality when using a single sub thus the 'chest thumping' responsibility is placed on the mains and NOT the sub. Therefore 'sub swapping' would seem to be a useless thing to do in pursuit of a 'chest thumping' nirvana-type experience. Personally I often 'feel' more bass in my ass than in my chest... I think that's probably the lower frequencies.
Old April 7th, 2007, 5:51 AM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
I have the VTF3MKII and do not get that chest thumping bass. Would this be achieved with the addition of a turbo?

Michael

try placing you sub elsewhere. Who helped you with sub placement?
Old April 7th, 2007, 6:48 AM

mendes9
Matt, I know exactly what you mean, I'm tring to full fill the same quest. I started with an STF-2, which actually hit pretty good, but not enough for me. Then I purchased a Outlaw LMF-1, and while it goes louder and lower, I feel this sub actually has less "bass in your chest" impact than the STF-2 as crazy as that sounds, but it's true in my situation. Now, I'm torn between, sell my LMF-1 and get an HO, or keep my LMF-1 and get and MBM-12.
Old April 7th, 2007, 5:46 PM

MichaelG is on a distinguished road
Actually

Actually, I get great bass and thump in the lower levels with my 3.2. WOTW is quite impressive and intense. I truly love it. I'm not sure what drugs I was on when I wrote that. There are some upper areas of percussion instruments I would like to get a bit more thump but it may be more an issue with my receiver or a need for an equalizer than a sub.
Old April 7th, 2007, 7:58 PM

u2generator is on a distinguished road
I also have a 3.2 in a room about 3,200 cu ft (with several cased openings) and it will thump your chest, but this mostly happens with music. The Eagles Farewell 1 DVD has several songs that will hit you right in the chest. I am only now trying the 3.2 in Max Extension Mode after having it for about a month. I watched Serenity just a few monutes ago and am quit impressed with the "room shaking" ability and I watch movies at around 70 db. I can only imagine what the thing would do at or near reference levels.

TW
Old December 13th, 2007, 8:11 AM

Matt_Smi is on a distinguished road
I recently got my VTF-3 MK3 and I am very impressed with it. It has the headroom I was looking for over my STF-2 and I can crank the thing without worry, and it just gives back some of the cleanest, tightest, tactile bass I have ever heard. But still not "hit in the chest" feeling, although it seems to come close and I have not played with it too much yet, there is a certain scene in the Bourne Identity where a shockwave gun is fired, and I remember that came very close to the effect I am looking for with my STF-2, so I will try that out tonight and see how it is.

But based on the replies in this post it seems that the "hit you in the chest" impact comes with frequencies that are a bit higher, like mentioned 100-150, so I am thinking that maybe MBM-12 will give out that effect, since it does those higher (yet still low) frequencies with high SPL levels. Man I might just have to buy one down the line, I just wish it was $400, maybe the price will drop down the line and I will pick it up then. But can anyone with an MBM-12 comment? Does it hit you in the chest?
Old December 13th, 2007, 8:58 AM

Kingrsl is on a distinguished road
I doubt you need a MBM to achieve this. Most HT enthusiasts don't own one yet still claim to have the amount of bass you are talking about. Is your room sealed? Room acoustics can play a bit part of how much you get from your subs. I own dual 3.3s and for me it really depends on what the source material is. As far as 100-150Hz being best suited for this, having your crossover set to 80Hz should certainly take alot of volume away from the subs (but not completely). For some music and movies the 3.3s shake the walls, floor, couches, aquarium but you don't feel the pressure. With other music or movies, you can definately feel the pressure in your ears and feel it in your chest but it is rarely at the "omg, turn it down" level. The most important thing is how it all sounds. My friends and neighbors all have nothing but praise for my HSU subs.

I'd love to hear someone else's HT setup to see how mine compares (especially something like majorloser's setup). On a side note, I just may audition a MBM to see if it makes a significant difference.
Samsung HL-S6187W 61" DLP
Sony STR-DA 5200ES AVR
Behringer DSP 8024 EQ
Toshiba HD-A1 HDDVD player
AT&T U-verse
PS3
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
3600cu. ft listening area