HSU Research Forum (HRF)  

Go Back   HSU Research Forum (HRF) > Hsu Central > Hsu Research - Setup and Placement Recommendations
Become a member Forum Help Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 7th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Grayson73
More reviews of VT-12?

Can others of you who have the Ventriloquist VT-12 give your review compared to other speaker systems you've heard?

Thanks,
Grayson
Old February 9th, 2004, 2:01 PM

johnnyfulcrum
I'll try as soon as mine arrives!

I can only compare it to the speakers that I had in the same room before this system - the sony dream system and the panasonic all in one 5 dvd changer system (both sucked) ....

I have listened to a few other systems at the local best buy - Athena Technologies Point 5 Series Five-Piece Surround Sound Speaker System

and the

Klipsch Synergy Series Quintet 100-Watt 5-Piece Home Theater Speaker System

both of the above systems didn't sound so great when playing music the Klipsch was a bit better...

more soon...
Old February 9th, 2004, 2:50 PM

tdekany will become famous soon enoughtdekany will become famous soon enough
You will simply be amazed how this system sounds. It really is unreal!!! My other speakers are NHT SuperZeros.

Just call the toll free number and order yours today. I think you will agree with me - at this price or anywhere around it - there is no competition. Hey, after all it has Dr. Hsu's name on it.
For me that is enough.

Enjoy.
Old February 9th, 2004, 2:52 PM
DavidD

tdekany...how about a little comparison between Ventriloquist and the NHT speakers?
Old February 9th, 2004, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidD
tdekany...how about a little comparison between Ventriloquist and the NHT speakers?
Wouldn't be fare to the VT12s since they are in a different house that has wooden floors vs my apartment with wall to wall carpet and the NHTs are set up better then the VT12s.

The VT12s have a different sound to them, but they sound much closer to the NHTs then I would have ever guessed.

Also, I simply don't get a chance to sit down and "listen" to music through the VT12s. It is not an option right now, but what is very important with any speaker at any price is what we experience when we watch a movie or play music with the VT12s.

We love the sound that comes out of these tiny speakers! It actually makes me laugh, they sound so amazing!

How awesome is that? For $249.00?????

BTW, the first movie I put in once I switched the two subs was X Men (1). The THX intro? Wholy S.H.I.T.!!! Unbelievable! My girlfriend actually got scared. Then she screemed: This sounds better then any movie theater I have ever heard! It IS like being in a movie theater!

All this for $ 1150.00

PS: Tomorrow I'll have a chance I think to sit down with her and demo some music.

I'll let you know.

PPS: If I had the money I'd buy another set to replace the NHTs right now.
In any case, we will move in together at some point, soon I hope, so then I'll enjoy the VT12s more often.

Last edited by tdekany : February 9th, 2004 at 5:36 PM.
Old February 9th, 2004, 4:16 PM
Audiophile

Sasha_G will become famous soon enoughSasha_G will become famous soon enough
For musical sound quality, they are comparable to many top of the line 5 1/2 inch woofer bookshelf speakers.
Old February 9th, 2004, 4:44 PM

Audio72
Here's a review. Enjoy

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-12-stf-2.html
Old February 9th, 2004, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sasha_G
For musical sound quality, they are comparable to many top of the line 5 1/2 inch woofer bookshelf speakers.
I knew I needed help.

The VT12s sound EXPENSIVE!!

Last edited by tdekany : February 16th, 2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old February 9th, 2004, 7:27 PM
DavidD

This is all pretty impressive. I've heard them (and liked what I heard), but I haven't had an opportunity to compare. I specifically asked about the Super-Zero speakers, since I have some Super-One speakers, although I don't have them used in the same system at this time.
Old February 10th, 2004, 5:43 AM

camelot
I vote for the VT-12's! I replaced my ProMonitor 100s (Definitive) with the VT-12s - it sounds much better. And to be fair, I used the STF-1 sub with both sets of speakers (the STF is also a good buy for HT). I am now moving the ProMonitor speakers upstairs to be used with an older TV.

If you are on the fence about buying a set of VT-12, I wouldn't wait too long.

Good Luck!
Old February 10th, 2004, 5:48 AM

camelot
Here is a picture of the new setup!
Attached Images

Old February 10th, 2004, 9:08 AM
DavidD

Camelot,

Can you expand on your impressions of the STF-1? I'm thinking of using it for a bedroom system I'm assembing.
Old February 10th, 2004, 9:27 AM

camelot
David - if you are looking for a good quality sub the STF-1 would be right for a bedroom.

It is not as loud as my VTF-2 (currently in the finished basement - my youngest son complains about the floors moving in the kitchen!).

But I like the STF-1 with the family room HT, it is not overpowering but performs very nicely. It is also has more spouse approval because it is not as loud. Also, being 10" wide - it can be out of sight behind some furniture.

Good luck!
Old February 10th, 2004, 9:30 AM

camelot
Picture of VTF-2 in the basement!
Attached Images

Old February 10th, 2004, 9:53 AM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidD
Can you expand on your impressions of the STF-1? I'm thinking of using it for a bedroom system I'm assembing.
David,

If you can drive to Hsu Research, you should.

I was there and heard the STF-1...it is impressive. All of the subs share the same tonal qualities that you have to check to see which one is on in the demo room.

The little STF-1, placed next to the sofa and well hidden, actually shook the sofa and sounded good.
Old February 10th, 2004, 9:55 PM
DavidD

cschang -

I'm sure I will go over and listen, but I'm trying to gather information without bothering the Hsu folks until I'm ready to do serious purchase-related listening.

Actually, I have heard the sub before. If you're referring to the open-house, I was there too. However, as I remember it, we switched to the VTF-3 after a short time. I really need to hear it again.

Right now, I'm undecided between the STF-1 and STF-2 for the bedroom. The STF-1 would probably be plenty. For the main system, I want to get either the VTF-3 or TN1220. (If the max-extension STF-3 was still available, that would be good too. However, I'm more than a few weeks away from that purchase).
Old February 10th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

cschang will become famous soon enoughcschang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to cschang Send a message via Yahoo to cschang
You were there for the open house?

Which one of the 10 people were you?
Old February 10th, 2004, 10:19 PM
DavidD

I was the one with my mouth full of pizza.

I remember you, but I'm pretty quiet. (Some might even say boring, but my mom says it isn't so...)
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:42 PM

pingpongdave
Cool

Hey Camelot, Nice Setups! What kind of speaker stands are you using and where did you purchase them? Thanks.
Old February 11th, 2004, 5:12 AM

camelot
Speaker Stands

Pingpong!

http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/spkstand.htm

BT11 satellite speaker stands

They were about $60 a pair with free shipping (small handling charge). They are adjustable and the VT12 speakers sit on top of the stands - small velcro pads hold the speakers on top.

The tubes are small and will just fit two-wire cable (like monster cable). They are not big enough to accept four wire cable.

Thanks!
Old February 11th, 2004, 4:36 PM

This is what we are using. $39.80/pair

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=240-762&DID=7

Old February 11th, 2004, 6:25 PM

pingpongdave
Thumbs up Speaker Stands

Thanks guys for the Info. I just about got all my stuff for my Home Theater set-up. I purchase the VTF 2, The Ventriloquist V-12 system, Onkyo TXSR 601 Receiver. I also purchased 16G-100 ft. $22. Electronics Warehouse- premium speaker wire but was told 14g would be better(I am going about 20 ft or so thru the attic and down wall-8ft- and out to satellite's another 10 ft. or so)

Everybody seems to be out of the nice Dual Banana clips with Gold plating, if those are necessary? A Sub-Woofer cable. I am not sure what else I will need? I am ANXIOUS to get this system going.
Have a Nice Day! PPD

Last edited by pingpongdave : February 11th, 2004 at 6:40 PM.
Old February 16th, 2004, 5:43 AM

johnnyfulcrum
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyfulcrum
I'll try as soon as mine arrives!

I can only compare it to the speakers that I had in the same room before this system - the sony dream system and the panasonic all in one 5 dvd changer system (both sucked) ....

I have listened to a few other systems at the local best buy - Athena Technologies Point 5 Series Five-Piece Surround Sound Speaker System

and the

Klipsch Synergy Series Quintet 100-Watt 5-Piece Home Theater Speaker System

both of the above systems didn't sound so great when playing music the Klipsch was a bit better...

more soon...
The vt-12 system withs stf-2 sounds better than any of the above mentioned systems. The ones I listened to (above) were at a local best buy set up - I don't know if they were tuned or not or if their set up was optimal or not, but out-of-the-box uncalibrated and in a room with wood floors the vt12 system sounded better to me - especially music. The HT is also way better than anything I've had before (sony dream system and panasonic all in 1 5 disc dvd changer deal...)
Old February 16th, 2004, 6:37 AM

pingpongdave
Cool

I have listen to Polk Audio $1400. system, Bose $3200 system at Circuit City, Bose $900. system at Best Buy. (Theater in the Box types at these stores I would not consider, at those prices, after listening to them) Although these systems sound "good", it is when they played the DVD-Audio and SACD's, that's when they separated the MEN from the boys and you noticed that those systems had "LOUSY" Bass. Not the Case with the "Ventriloquist V-12 system, I recomend it . PPD

PS. if you get a chance , try Frank Sinatra's Live at the Sands, with the Count Bassie Orchestra. (DVDEMPIRE.COM) kinda neat when you can hear the people in the background with there glasses chinging!